Go Geocaching, Or...

Here it is, January already. The 12 days of Christmas are behind us.

My oldest daughter went back to school today. I still have to watch the other two, so that limits my activities somewhat. They're only good for a couple of caches before they get tired and cranky. It's too cold and windy to take them to the park. They're too young to leave them there while I go caching. :) Getting them in and out of the truck every 5 minutes while logging urban micros isn't fun either. Besides, I've found all of those already. :)

I need some suggestions on getting the young ones out of the house on days like this. (and give me the motivation to do so)

If I stay home, the wife will make me take down the Christmas lights!

Take care of the lights first because you and you wife will feel better about you going caching then, can you leave the kids with her and play with them when you get home?

I can see why they kicked you out of the procrastinators club. What you didn't get your membership termination letter? Well they'll get around to it eventualy.

Sax man,

Take down the lights. You won't win with the wife; we never do :) .

Then, take the kids to an indoor playground for a bit (out here we have a Place called The Jungle that is a 3-story McDonald's playground on steroids; or a McD's or BK will do). Ideally find a place so you can get online wirelessly (like at Starbucks) and spend some time here on the forums while hte kids play.

When they are tired, take them home, then go do a few caches on your own.

Sounds fair to me.

Take care of the lights first because you and you wife will feel better about you going caching then, can you leave the kids with her and play with them when you get home?

I forgot to mention that the wife is at work from 8 to 5. That's roughly the same time the oldest child is in school. It's just me and the little 2 (ages 3 and 5 as of next month) at home during that time.

Am I to understand that sometime late last year you actually took time to put Christmas lights up instead of going geocaching?!?!?!?!

Yes, after finding 50 caches in September and 24 in October, I took November off to put up 9000 Christmas lights. I only found 8 in December, partly because the wife had taken the GPSr away!

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

Some smart wiring on your part would have saved you a lot of trouble.

Leave them up and just turn the red ones on for Valentine's day...the green ones for St. Patrick's day, the Red white and blue ones for 4th of July, Orange ones for Halloween.

Why hasn't anyone thought of this before!?!?!?!

Bret

Alright, I compromised....sorta! I took down a couple thousand lights today before freezing to death. If I'm gonna be that cold, I should at least be finding a cache!

Thats only one side of the story. What did you do with the kids and did you actually get out caching?

If you leave the lights up, they won't cut into your caching time next Christmas when you would have to put them back up. Also, are we sure the Croc man didn't have twins?

I tried that strategy last year. Then one spring morning I was outside considering yard work or caching when the neighbor poppped out and offered to 'help' me take the lights down. I couldn't refuse the free assistance, I think my wife put him up to it. Anyway it did cut into my caching time both that day and another after thanksgiving.

1. Take the kids to a relatives house.

2. Burn your house down.

3. Collect insurance (make sure it looks like bad wiring, PM me if you need help there). You could even make it look like the lights were at fault.

End result...lights take care of themselves and you have money for a new caching vehicle, GPS, and some cool trade items. :)

Alright, I compromised....sorta! I took down a couple thousand lights today before  freezing to death. If I'm gonna be that cold, I should at least be finding a cache!

Thats only one side of the story. What did you do with the kids and did you actually get out caching?

I had the kids clean their room while I took down the 'easy to get to' lights.

I'll have the same problem tomorrow, so keep this thread going! :)

You better take down the lights or your wife might take away your GPS again.

Maybe she already has.....

Quick! go check!

;)

Not to worry, I've got it. Just updated my Pocket Query so I'm all set. The forums should be quiet for a little while since I'll be gone :lol:

She offered to help take down the lights tomorrow so I can't get in trouble for going out today! ;)