Stockholm

NickandAliandEliza

Lemme guess...that's a Babelfish translation? :) Nevermind, it is understandable, though good ol' English language is 100% ok in this forum too, no need for apologies. :rolleyes:

Our beloved neighbours, the Swedes, generally speak very good English, so I'm sure someone local will reply you as soon as they notice your thread here. There's a Swedish speaking forum in the net too, and you might want to try your question in the Tips och hjälp (tips and help) section, I'm sure also there will be answers. Meanwhile, I would be glad to give you some Stockholm recommendations, but alas, I haven't searched any caches there ...yet. Those Finns that have, and who read this forum will probably also reply here if they only happen to see this thread.

If you have downloaded a bunch of Stockholm cache waypoints to your GPSr, and printed a pile of their descriptions already, you might wanna check the thread of Modification reports of Swedish caches. It's way more convenient to check if some of the caches have been modified (e.g. the coords have changed after you printed) than browse through all cache pages again and again before your trip. Of course, hopefully the locals have updated the modifications on that thread.

I'm sorry I can't be more of a help right now, but I wish you a pleasant caching trip in Stockholm. And welcome to Finland, if you get the crazy idea to come caching here some day. :)

You will not need to learn Swedish if you wanna cache in Sweden. Almost everything on the cache pages are written in English - and if you should find a cache that doesn't have a english description - just mail the owner and ask for one!

Almost everyone under the age of 50 speaks English in Sweden. The reasons for that are a lot:

1. We start learning English at the age of 8-9.

2. We don't dub movies or tv-shows. We have subtitles in the bottom of the screen

instead. This means that we hear English all the times...

3. The most kids can speak English even before the age of 8-9, due to computer

games, music, videos and so on...

4. The Swedish companies are not any more Swedish - they are International or

Global companies. Many of them have English as the corporate language.

5. You will find that it is very easy to stay on vacation in Sweden, because people

are friendly (except the people in Stockholm that are known for not being that

friendly.. **) and speaks very good english.

6. Sorry that we can't help you with suggestions of cache, but we live in the more

beautiful part of the country - Gothenburg on the westcoast of Sweden :)

**) People in Stockholm are friendly as the most Sweds, but they are a little bit more stressed and therefor are not really happy to help other people out. Can be recognized in the most capitols/big cities in the world..

But there is not a lot of Swedish users here at the forum, so I would recommend you to mail a couple of cachers in Stockholm instead and ask for tip about which caches you should do:

IT-gubben

Gustaf

Keron

piggen

I don't know the personally, but they own a big bunch of caches in the area and/or has cached a lot in the area. Mail them thru geocaching.com and ask them for some help to select caches.

As Hedberg already stated, English will work just fine in Sweden (:) hehe, better than the babelfish translations anyway, we almost fell off our chairs laughing reading the translation)

If you check out this print (http://geocaching.skoj.nu/tmp/amaranten.gif (~260kb)) of a Stockholm map, your hotel (that is, if you're going to stay at Amaranten) is located at the tip of the yellow arrow, and you can see a number of city caches quite nearby out of which we have taken "GCG4KQ", "GCA268" & "GC3186" and they were fairly much what you can call "suit caches" (You don't have to worry about getting dirty and torn) and we believe they should work even if there's snow outside...

Don't know about the other caches, if they're suitable for winter caching or not, we'll let you judge for yourselves...

Welcome to Sweden, and happy cache-hunting !

/// Bamse & Mummlan ("Bamlan")

Well... Translating it back comes out something like :

-----------------------------------------

Hi,

We you visit Stockholm in February for a very short snap from work(or perhaps agency). Is someone buy clever rekommend a pair easy caches inside about big city. Me think we your coming in a hotel alarmed Amaranten

Thank yourself on forehand

Well... Babelfish is OK if you add a certain amount of imagination... :)

The proper translation should be something more like :

hej,

Vi kommer besöka Sthlm i februari för ett väldigt kort avbrott i arbetet. Kan någon rekommendera några få enkla cachar i staden? Jag tror vi bor på ett hotell som heter Amaranten...

Tack på förhand

/// Bamse & Mummlan

As I wrote earlier, we haven't been caching in Stockholm, but this is the cache is Sweden with most "Found it"-logs, about 85 cachers have found this cache.

It's a film canister in central Stockholm.

Unfortunally are the hint in Swedish and they are playing with words, so it will be difficult to translate it. But a tip is to look at the logs and see what people have written in English, and there you can get some hints...

By the way, here is one more translation to laugh about:

This time I translated your ENGLISH text about coming to Stockholm to ENGLISH (!). Translated English to English!!!

Hi , Age unimportant hence writing internal English. We are sociality Stockholm internal February hence a truly incomplete disjunction because succeed. Is anyone powerful be the cause of advise quantitative slow store internal love resort? IMMATERIALITY reflect we are exist internal a resort required Perpetual. Gratitude before , Notch Ali )

Edited by hedberg

And of course can't I resist making an finnish translation of the text also, since there are not many finns talking English :rolleyes:

Hi , Edellä kurja ajaksi kirjaillen kotona Englannin kieli. Me aari vieraileva Stockholm kotona Helmikuu ajaksi erittäin lyhytfilmi erottaa polveutua aikaansaada. On kuka tahansa etevä jotta ehdottaa harva helppo caches kotona kaupunki? I-KIRJAIN ajatella me aari harus kotona hotelli vieras Amaranten. Kiitoksia kotona aikaistaa ,

Here is a translation back from Finnish...

Hi, Before lousy for time embroiding home English language. We square metre visiting Stockholm in home February for time very short film separates descend accomplish. It's whoever clever to suggest rare easy caches in home town? Letter i think us square meter backstay in home hotel alien Amaranten. Thanks in home to advance.

:rolleyes: