Waterproof Paper

Dan-oh

I was eyballing the Topo! Adventure Paper at REI last week and though its pricey ($20/25 sheets), it could be nice for certain moist caches. Today I saw Rite in the Rain copier paper much cheaper ($10/25 shts or $24/200). Different products but both are cool.

I haven't wanted to spring for the Rite in the Rain notebooks at $4 each but I could see myself making a log book for small caches that aren't ammo cans. I ran across a tupperware cache with an inch of water in the bottom. Both the stash note and log book were soaked, even thought they were in zip lock baggies.

Has anyone used either the Topo! paper or the Rite in the Rain stuff? Maybe some field experiences with either one?

Another nice feature of NG Adventure paper is it doesn't rip or crease. You can fold it, stuff it in your pocket, and after you open it up the creases go away. And while it can be kinda stretched if you pul on an end, it doesn't tear.

Alan

Adventure paper is the way to go. I have placed maps that are printed on it in bottles of water for several months at a time with no effect on the paper.

I use the ink-jet paper setting when I print just to get it a little denser. I also use really cheap ink cartridges ($3 each).

I don't know how the magic is done, but it is amazing.

Why water? The local EMS store had me print a topo for them that they store in water at the store to show off the properties of the paper.

the "rite in the rain" paper was a waste of my money...Its no better then anyother paper as far as i'm concerned.....

:blink: What? -- Rite in the Rain doesn't work? :) It work's fine for me. In fact a recent post to one of my caches stated

The Log was drenched, but I was able to sign the log?

I've used both. Rite in the Rain isn't actually waterproof. It will get soggy and rot. The NG Adventure paper is far better.

B) Most of my Micro logs have been out for over 2+ years and they have not rotted or fallen apart. They are holding up just fine. They may get wet from time to time, but you simply wipe them off and make your mark. If you look at the way the stuff is made, I find it hard to believe that falls apart so easily. Here's how it is made

:) .. If this stuff is not waterproof then why do they say it's an all weather paper? Maybe you ought to enlist a lawyer to sue Rite as Rain for false advertisement.. Rite in the Rain website

For printing purposes, I use an HP4 Laserjet which you cannot use with the NG Adventure Paper because it will melt as mentioned in just a few other forums.

I was eyballing the Topo! Adventure Paper at REI last week and though its pricey ($20/25 sheets), it could be nice for certain moist caches. Today I saw Rite in the Rain copier paper much cheaper ($10/25 shts or $24/200). Different products but both are cool.

:) $10 for 25 sheets. -- :D Man REI is expensive. The price per sheet at the local campus bookstore is .20 a page. Multiply this by 25 = $5.00 --

:D This is turning into a regular Magellan vs. Garmin thread except now the argument is over waterproof paper. maybe we should ask Consumer Report? :D:D

Edited by Hogarth
Most of my Micro logs have been out for over 2+ years and they have not rotted or fallen apart. They are holding up just fine. They may get wet from time to time, but you simply wipe them off and make your mark. If you look at the way the stuff is made, I find it hard to believe that falls apart so easily

I never said that it fell apart easily, but See this log. There is a comparison as to how RITR held up against a regular sheet of paper in a cache that was soaked for a long time.

Edited by briansnat

75750_700.gif

:P What did they do, roll the logs up, put them uder a submerge rock in the swamp for 8 months and then dry them out with a blow tourch? :ph34r: Please.. I hardly think this qualifies as an accuarate test of Rite in the Rain paper. But it does make me want to do my own test using Rite in the Rain paper, and the NG Adventure paper.

Love to get in on that .20 cents a page deal. What campus bookstore is that? Maybe I can order a bunch. I love the paper, it's the price I can't handle. 

Here's the link to Jerrols books store where I get it.

Here's the list to the Rite as Rain dearlers in the US.

Here's a link to WaterProof-Paper.com

:ph34r: Notice the price for NG Adventure paper $1.25 per page. Rite in the Rain price .43 Cents per page -- Prices do not including shipping and handeling.

NG Adventure paper is for INKJET printers. Rite in the Rain may be used for Copier or LaserJet. So I guess it all really boils down to the printer you have. If you have an INKJET then NG Adventure paper is the one you will need. If you have access to a Copier or Laserprinter, Rite in the Rain.

Edited by Hogarth

I grew up land surveying with my father. living in s.w. washington (rains every day almost) we used "rite in rain" products all the time. I accualy use one in my Caching Bag. that and a good mech. pencil, not a cheep one. if you go to a good old stationary shop you can find both or they can tell you where to find them.