Easy To Find Or Hard - Where To Place A $150 Cache

subigo

I am going out tomorrow to hide my first multicache. I have the places in mind, but I am still trying to decide how hard to make it. The final cache will have about $150 worth of stuff in it. Everything from a new fossil watch to dvd's will be in there.

Now, I would like a lot of people to do this one, but another part of me thinks it should be kind of hard to find (and get to) since it has nicer things in it.

Would you hide it in an easy to find place, not far from the trail? Or would you make people work for this one? I cant decide, a few opinions should help me out.

Thanks

Given some of the finds I've had to work for, I have one question to pose: Is this cache going to be in an area that could be muggled (or more muggle-potential than others)? If so, I'd say make people really work for it, especialy with all that cool swag. If there isn't a high chance of getting muggled, I'd say make folk work for it. After all, it's really cool swag! :( That's just my two cents.

I'd want to work for it, but more importantly, post a picture of the original cache contents on the cache description page, so that when people go hunting for it, they can bring something worth trading for. A lot of (more honorable) cachers won't trade at all, if they don't have something of equal or greater value, so without knowing what's in the cache, they might just TNLNSL. Of course there are people that would trade a McToy for the fossil watch, but why only reward them?

If I knew ahead of time I would make sure to bring something really nice to trade.

PS when are you going to place a cache in the Tacoma, WA area? :(

If you want the cache to be easy to find, don't go overboard on the hide. I'd still stick a valuable cache in a remote location that doesn't see a lot of traffic. You want to place it where it stands very little chance of being found by accident, but can be found by someone who knows what they are looking for. Hide it away from the beaten path, and provide good clues on the cache page. Cachers will find it easily, and hopefully it will go unnoticed by muggles.

Considering all the spendy trade items within the cache container, I would definately make it as difficult as possible.

You will soon find that even though quite unfortunate, all your neato items will eventually move on and less valuable items will remain.

This is why the higher difficulty rating should come into play. Only more dedicated and devoted cachers will hunt for this one, and in turn you will find they will also be the ones who trade evenly if not trade up.

Edited by opey one

harder to find.. more of a challenge.. i would make it a mental challenge.

i am working on a physics cache that will require some serious calculations. it is a goof for a friend. this cache will have some really cool stuff in it. maybe an old GPSr.

robbie

I agree that you should make it both remote and more difficult. I have a three-stage multi with a final that's in a park in the downtown area, and even though I've stocked and re-stocked with better-than-average swag, on both occasions, the cache was cleaned out pretty quickly. In fact, 10 visitors after the latest re-stocking, the only thing left in the cache besides the logbook was an arm from an action figure. Considering the hide, I'm very sure that the raping of the cache had to be done via the coordinates.

Now it's full of my normal trade items.

I'm going to save the good loot for a soon-to-be-placed multi-TB cache similar to the Wile E. Coyote cache. I figure that the plunderers are looking for the easy hits. I've also decided that it's best to *not* detail the contents of the cache in the description. Those who want to cache would visit even if it's empty. Those who want the items are more likely to trade down (if at all).

I wouldn't make it too difficult. A lot of people get turned off when to get the last 3 digits of the Lat, you have to take the cube root of the natural log of pi to 3 sig digits and then multiply this value times the radius of the moon divided by the mean atomic weight of the Lanthanum series.

The problem with these caches is that GPSr's are not always as accurate as the others. If your unit has an error, your numbers are off and everyone who tries to find it will be off until someone who has the same error gets lucky.

I would try for physical isolation and difficulty in the sense of using a park or rec area that is not commonly used and then finding a rarely used area of that park.

The other thing to make it difficult is to use really good camoflage, or build the cache into some existing structure.

Put it over the hill and far away from the crowds. Make it mentally and physically tough. Don't expect too many to trade even, and maybe post a note that trading even is not really expected, but the rewards are yours for finding the cache.

I just put one back in the hills a 4D x 4.5T and wish I could of spent more for the loot. But the die hard cacher usually looks for the cache and not the contents so much.

I would recommend that you find some more caches before you think about hiding one. You will find that after you have found more caches you will start to think differently about where a cache should be. If you have found caches under a different account then ignore my suggestion to find more caches. I just think that you will be able to create a more enjoyable and muggle-proof cache if you have seen a few.

I would recommend that you find some more caches before you think about hiding one.

Absolutely! Looking at your profile strongly suggests more experience is desirable. While your enthusiasm is admirable, I think you need to get more experience before going for something so big.

I'd also suggest you try hiding a few caches to get some experience before doing a high-value one. Start small and work yourself up. You will have a learning experience, don't make the first lesson painful because of the value involved.

Edited by GeckoGeek

We have a few caches around here that is a "Superbowl" type cache. A temporary cache is placed in a temporary place, with something of value in it. The cache page is permanent, so a bunch of people watch it. When the owner posts a note with "it's there, go!", the watchers get the email and converge on the site. Some have been found in hours, others, days. It's always a hoot to watch the logs, and even more fun to participate!

Dapper Dan's Treasure Chest by DapperDan

"Heart of Gold" by SandBassKing

A permanent cache can be kicked off with valueable items, but then it really becomes a different kind of cache, a "normal" cache. It may be helpful to distinguish the two kinds of activity generated by two different "events". IMHO, it is a poor choice to make the cache a Member-Only cache.

Thanks

The cache will be subject to "Cache Entropy" like all caches seem to be and the logs will soon read "Great Hide, we really enjoyed this one! Took new Fossil Watch, Left an expired Blockbuster coupon and pebble I just shook out of my boot."

To extend the longevity of the cache quality (assuming you're not in the position to provide an endless supply of cool stuff) perhaps you could add only a few of the snazzy items you already aquired and list them on the description page. If the items are traded for fairly the quality of the cache will stay level. You could replace the junk trades with the remaining snazzy items as you perform cache maintenance and change the snazzy items that are listed.

Or you can simply sever any attachment you have to the items and accept the quality of the cache as it evolves once the initial stock of neat items is exhausted. A somewhat difficult hide and remotely located cache seems best for this one. Good luck!

I placed two traditionals and one multi yesterday. The multi I purposely made dificult. The items in the final container are not on the level of what you described, but I still spent a considerable amount. I didn't post what the contents were because I want people to come for the cache, not it's contents. I made the most expensive items First, Second and Third finder prizes. What I put on the page is "Final cache container is an ammo can stocked with all new items". I placed the two traditionals (small traditionals - 2" x 5" tube, small trade items only) in the same area so that if someone is discouraged by the difficulty of the multi, they still have two other less difficult choices within a reasonable distance. I doubt that the FTF's on the trads will be the same person as the FTF on the multi, unless someone seasoned comes for the multi, they will probably also pick up the two trads.

In short, make it hard and don't list the contents on the page. :)

i agree on the make it a members only cache in theory but actually...as bad as this sounds some cachers that are non paying members resent the members only caches and may boobytrap the cache.at least i think thats whats happening to some of the members only caches in my area.keep it open to e-1 just make it harder terrain and a hard to find container.

I wouldn't make it too difficult. A lot of people get turned off when to get the last 3 digits of the Lat, you have to take the cube root of the natural log of pi to 3 sig digits and then multiply this value times the radius of the moon divided by the mean atomic weight of the Lanthanum series.

LOL, That cache has is a difficulty 6!

Ok...... this may sound cold and heartless, but.. with that nice of a cache I would consider making it a "Members Only" cache. While a lot of non-members do work on the honor system and knows what it means to trade up or trade even, I believe you'd have more success with the cache being "Members Only".

Doesn't sound too harsh!

There is a pretty difficult one up north by me. I haven't gotten up to this location yet but it does seem pretty cool.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...3b-017fd1b9fce4

Ok...... this may sound cold and heartless, but.. with that nice of a cache I would consider making it a "Members Only" cache. While a lot of non-members do work on the honor system and knows what it means to trade up or trade even, I believe you'd have more success with the cache being "Members Only".

I take exception to this comment. Basically you are stating that "members" are more trustworthy than "non-members".

Ok...... this may sound cold and heartless, but..  with that nice of a cache I would consider making it a "Members Only" cache.  While a lot of non-members do work on the honor system and knows what it means to trade up or trade even, I believe you'd have more success with the cache being "Members Only".

I take exception to this comment. Basically you are stating that "members" are more trustworthy than "non-members".

Certain "Members" are more trustworthy than others.

LOL, there are members I wouldn't trust with the key to the outhouse (no offense Septic). What does member or not have to do with it. If you don't want it pirated then the only way to ensure it won't be is to not place it. There are no guarantees it wont get stolen regardless of how you list it.

Ok...... this may sound cold and heartless, but..  with that nice of a cache I would consider making it a "Members Only" cache.  While a lot of non-members do work on the honor system and knows what it means to trade up or trade even, I believe you'd have more success with the cache being "Members Only".

Well, I used to think that too, until a certain "member" let me down one night out in the cold.........

Well, I used to think that too, until a certain "member" let me down one night out in the cold.........

I think we are talking about Members of the webpage...not that type of member Sparky

Back to the topic of advising this fine newcomer on his cache hide? Thanks.

Wow Keystone you are a lot nicer then other folks around here. I am actually surprised I didn't get a ban for that, Thanks for the gentle warning I will now get back on topic.

(and no I am not trying to be a smart a** I am serious)

Make it a 4 or 5 part multi with ever increasing levels of difficulty so that the people earn the rewards at the end. Still no guarantee it won't get stolen but it might weed out some of the knuckle heads that would steal it.

I think we are talking about Members of the webpage...not that type of member Sparky

:lol: lol ;)

If you choose to place a 'nice' cache you should consider placing it in the countryside. An 'urban' cache will be depleted much quicker than one in the outback. Also be sure to have the seekers hike at least 1/2 mile from the parking area. This will help to ensure that it is not degraded quickly. You will not have the high number of visitors doing this, but the quality of the cache will stay at a higher level longer. Be sure to have a hide rating of at least a 3 star to help prevent it from being found by accident. It helps to have found several in your area and then use a different hide style. People get used to one style and find it difficult to change the way the search for a cache.

Just take your time setting it up so you do right the first time. Our MULTI took us almost four months to put together, but the finders log says it all.

Good luck on your endeavor.

John