What's Your Worst Geo-injury

The injury wasn't too bad, but the way it happened was something I had never considered in my life.

As I hike along, I have a nervous habit of grabbing the long weeds along a trail and breaking one off to carry with me.

One day as I was hiking along a river bank, I reached over and bent a reed over to break off. It didn't break off but rather just folded over. Since it was folded over, I thought I'd just give it a quick tug and it would snap.

Well, what happened was it turned into a razor sharp ribbon of reed and sliced through my little finger. I finished up my cache hunt (for a virt no less) and returned to the car, freaking out some kids along the way. Decided finally to go to the hospital for a look-see and I got my first stitches. Only three so not a 'bad' injury in the scheme of injuries.

But I never knew a plant could slice you up that good. I'm lucky in that was my 'worst' injury damage-wise. It's also my 'worst' injury to the ego. Was a real blow to the ego to have gotten stitches while caching. From a plant.

I guess the most painfull was jumping over a wall and landing in a patch of waist high nettles, the problem being I was had shorts and open walking sandals on at the time, I must of had about 200 red hot stings all over my toes ankles and lower legs. it only took about a week for the heat and itchyness to go away! The worst bit was that once I had landed I knew I would have to walk out of the patch of nettles which probally doubled the number of stings that I got. Man I wish I had the power of vertical take off!

I fractured a rib while caching at the Goose Creek three weeks ago. I crossing over the creek and made it to the other side but lost my balance while climbing the muddy hill. I tumbled 15 feet and landed straight on a rock. I did continue on to the cache but was hurting so bad afterward I had to go to the hospital. Doc told me to take it easy for a month but the next weekend I went out and found 7 caches. <_<

I fractured a rib while caching at the Goose Creek three weeks ago. I crossing over the creek and made it to the other side but lost my balance while climbing the muddy hill. I tumbled 15 feet and landed straight on a rock. I did continue on to the cache but was hurting so bad afterward I had to go to the hospital. Doc told me to take it easy for a month but the next weekend I went out and found 7 caches.  <_<

Whoa, you are one tough cookie ... you may have raised the bar when it comes to geocaching with an injury.

My persdonal worst was a scorpion sting on my knee. <_< swelled up my whole leg from the knee down. saw the doc and they were worried about a clot so a quick trip to the hospital (4 hrs) for a veinus doppler on my leg. B) took about 3 weeks to heal and my knee is still discoloured after 3 months. B)

Cache on!

trgrhappy :D

One time I was riding my Harley to a cache site when a semi carrying logs had a retaining band snap and send two tons of logs crashing on the pavement knocking me off the side of the road and into a barbwire fence at 85 mph.

Then I flipped off the bike, ripped about 5 pounds of flesh from my leg and flew 73 feet through the air before bouncing multiple times in a rock strewn field.

Whew !

I am glad I am lying.

Never had anything happen to me.

(Fingers crossed...)

<_<

It was just over a year ago, I was doing an early morning cache down south of me. I climbed down into a empty irrigation ditch and on my way out, I must have lost my balance or something, because my knee decided to bend about 90º the wrong direction. As I lay there, I realized that my was not where it was supposed to be. I swung it out straigt and eventually got back to my feet. I decided it would be better to head back to my truck that try popping my knee out of location again.

It's a good thing it was a sorta urban cache, I could have been in real trouble if it was a I was out in the desert.

I got home just in time to find out about the Space Shuttle Columbia tragedy.

Slipped and fell, all my other injury's are from other stuff:

(not in any order)shot, stabbed, sliced, cut, hit by a: car - train - boat - baseball bat, been electrocuted twice, thrown out of a: car 3 times -boat -window, feel of a : log - huge gas tank- tree -pole -fence -porch- roof, been inside 2 explosions, fell 50ft with 500lbs on me, Had my car fall on my head, burned 3 times, fractured both wrists a Chen and toe.

All of this stuff is true and all of it happened over my life time. The stories that go with them are good ones and bad ones, one day I will write a book.

This is the kind of discussion that would make any lawyers Groundspeak might have on staff shriek in terror and urge Jeremy to shut down the boards.

All it would take would be one injured moron to decide that he wasn't adequately warned on the website, and he could sue Jeremy, the cache hider, or both. It doesn't matter if they're right or not, or whether they would win or not. The cost of fighting it in court could easily bankrupt someone if they don't have adequate insurance.

"First thing we do, let's kill all the laywers." - Shakespeare, Henry VI :D

(not in any order)shot, stabbed, sliced, cut, hit by a: car - train - boat - baseball bat, been electrocuted twice, thrown out of a: car 3 times -boat -window, feel of a : log - huge gas tank- tree -pole -fence -porch- roof, been inside 2 explosions, fell 50ft with 500lbs on me, Had my car fall on my head, burned 3 times, fractured both wrists a Chen and toe.

All of this stuff is true and all of it happened over my life time. The stories that go with them are good ones and bad ones, one day I will write a book.

Note to self: Do not go anywhere with Megamog :D

Well, here's a good one for ya'll... I was attacked by a toucan. Yes, a toucan.

I was caching near my brother's neighborhood, and decided that I'd stop in for a "refreshing beverage" on the way home. He has a toucan. Toucans like shiny things. I was wearing my watch on my right wrist to let the poison oak on my left heal. That sucker WENT for my watch in the worst way and made some gouges on my wrist trying to nip the watch band. For a few days I couldn't wear a watch at all because both wrists were torn up!

Those cuts have just now healed!

:lol: Last fall my dog was sniffing in the lead, my wife was 15 ft behind and I was bringing up the rear with my awareness glued to the gps. The dog yelps and runs off shaking his head. I looked at his face and he had two little fang holes. I looked up the trail to see Mrs Tofu 10 feet from a copperhead right on the path. Awfully nice of 'Pete' to warn us like that and all. But if it were not for his sniffing and friendly manner, Mrs Tofu and or I would have literally stepped right on the snake. Pete's recovery was complete and we keep an eye on the trail a bit more cautiously these days.

Kernbob and Devahuti

:lol: Last fall my dog was sniffing in the lead, my wife was 15 ft behind and I was bringing up the rear with my awareness glued to the gps. The dog yelps and runs off shaking his head. I looked at his face and he had two little fang holes. I looked up the trail to see Mrs Tofu 10 feet from a copperhead right on the path. Awfully nice of 'Pete' to warn us like that and all. But if it were not for his sniffing and friendly manner, Mrs Tofu and or I would have literally stepped right on the snake. Pete's recovery was complete and we keep an eye on the trail a bit more cautiously these days.

Kernbob and Devahuti

i'm glad to hear the pooch is okay. if there is proof of a GOD it is in dogs and trees.

Just a couple of minor stuff that I can remember, The usual falls, stick in the eye, stick in the ear, whapped in the face with branches, some stinging bushes that really hurt(?nettles in MA), Lots of poison ivy, lots of pricker bushes, slipped and fell(butt slammed onto the rock, and arm scraped along another rock), fell in a river(30degrees), attacked by yellow jackets, caching to soon after knee surgery(self explanatory), smacked sensitive part of elbow trying to race out of the car to get to the cache, cross country skiing accidents(beginners), well that might be it but I'm sure I'm forgetting something. :D Does stepping in poop a couple hundred times count?

Edited by Moose-r-us

The first underwater cache was hidden last friday in the Mediterranean sea, yesterday we went to be FTF and found the cache very near a big rock with very sharpened sides, we spent a lot of time uncovering the cache of big stones while a pair of waves hit us against the rock.

You know that bleeding wounds in the water are incredible, nudist muggles were amazed seeing me.

2f94888b-2759-45c3-b040-b8d250d82090.jpg

I fractured a rib while caching at the Goose Creek three weeks ago. I crossing over the creek and made it to the other side but lost my balance while climbing the muddy hill. I tumbled 15 feet and landed straight on a rock. I did continue on to the cache but was hurting so bad afterward I had to go to the hospital. Doc told me to take it easy for a month but the next weekend I went out and found 7 caches. ;)

gee...i was all set to do goose creek today...after busting a few ribs from a motorcycle mishap a few years ago, might go for a "1/1" instead!

~ the usual scratches from trees and bushes

~ poison ivy all up my left arm (because I was digging around for the cache with that arm and holding my GPS in my right - thank goodness - or I would have had it on both arms)

~ cuts, scratches and bruises from a fall on Mount Riante in Arkansas (too many darn leaves lying around on that steep incline!!)

~ swollen face from so many mosquito bites on it (I'm allergic to them and I didn't have bug spray on my face)

I've been quite fortunate so far, because I'm one of those that reacts like a rabid dog when I've got the cache in sight...

;(On our 2nd day GeoCaching, we had been searching all over for a missing cache. My 4 yr old was playing with a long stick. As I bent down to look, he raised the stick in the air and hit my open eye. I screamed and cried for a long time. Thought that I was going to go blind, but my eye healed. The first month or so was very uncomfortable. This week marks 1 year of caching, and I still have troubles with my eye when I wake up. If I open it too quickly it is very painful. Almost gave up the sport, but 1 year later we are still going strong.

Our boys are no longer allowed to play with sticks when we cache!

~SassyCache of Team HONU

Shot, Stabbed, Been inside 2 explosions and Car falling on your head...... Ummmm......Explain please?

Are you a stuntman?

You know, if you're stung by nettles, rubbing the stings with the little yellow "dots" on the undersides of ferns can really help the stinging and itching. Learned that back in summer camp.

No major injuries here yet, crossing our fingers that it stays that way.

My worst injury happened in mid-May.

I have nobody but myself to blame. When jogging (I hardly EVER walk quickly - but for some reason, I was doing so here) back to the car from a micro-cache in a park, I tripped on a sprinkler-head and proceeded to fall onto a sand/gravel path, sliding about a foot after I hit the ground with my right knee. I was wearing very lightweight pants, and tore a chunk of skin off my right knee, tearing off the entire epidermal layer in area about 2/3rds the size of a cover of a regular sized Altoids tin. And I mean the entire epidermal layer... a big wedge of it was stuck to the inside of my right pant leg.

I put some wound wipes on it, plopped some antibiotic salve on it, went home, washed it off, reapplied the salve, then proceeded to doze off in an easy chair. My wife came home from a movie, saw that my knee was all bloody and horribly swollen, and insisted I go to the emergency room. Four hours later, I am back home with bandages and an ice-pack. But that's not the end of the story.

First, I got a staff infection in the wound. That took time to heal. Disgusting.

Then, I found out that I developed a sensitivity to Neo/Polysporin. That meant that the wound just keep on weeping for weeks on end, and doctor after doctor, none suspected the antibiotic salve. So, 7 weeks later(!) I take myself to a 3rd doctor, and she says "You're allergic to the stuff". I stopped using it, and covered my knee in a cortisone cream she gave me, and one day later, the wound stopped weeping after just two doses of the cortisone, and my knee proceeded to heal.

It still hurts a bit, but I can tell I am on the mend. The doctor says I can still use Neo/Polysporin (better than getting an infection!) but that I should use it for only 2-3 days max.

Oh well.

-Jif

You know, if you're stung by nettles, rubbing the stings with the little yellow "dots" on the undersides of ferns can really help the stinging and itching. Learned that back in summer camp.

No major injuries here yet, crossing our fingers that it stays that way.

Tried that once. This was pre-geocaching and some friends and me were out hiking. We were trail blazing, trying to take a short cut back to camp. I had been fairly cautious around this one area where there was a field of nettles and made it without too much incident. The next area was nettle free, or so I thought. I was trying to get through this rabbit hole sized area (I am 6'2" and 270 lbs, though I don't look it so I am told) and I squatted down with back pack and all to waddle through. Well, the plant that was under me was .... you guessed it ... nettles (AKA Fireweed). There is no worse feeling than nettles THERE. So, I moved... dropped trou... and used the ferns. Thank goodness I know the difference between ferns and poison oak.

Here is my log from Doug's Bug Cache

June 17 by SmithMountainExplorers (21 found)

[This one was a simple find, BUT it was rather disasterous--or should we say adventurous?

Parking on the side of the road, nearly got stuck in the ditch--couldn't see how deep it was as the grass was so tall! Sat teetering on 2 tires for a moment--near panic attack!--but was able to get out! Then daughter slammed finger in the door....the drama! She'll lose that fingernail. But still she wanted to go. Found it--left VW Bug toy, took Spidey toy, signed the log.

As we were leaving, youngest son managed to walk into the rear end of the car and gave himself a black eye! LOL Then picked up some cold sodas from the nearby grocery store...it was STILL a REALLY HOT DAY! But not too buggy and a good day to geocache!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Poor kids--They have gotten hurt---I have just had the ususal ticks, mud, and scratches from bushwacking.

First time out geocaching..... 11 stitches in my head. That's how I came by the name Sgt Stitches.

We (a group of about 12 brothers, sister's-in-law, cousins, nephews, nieces) had found the cache, and were posing for a group picture. I set the timer on my camera and as I was running to the back of the group, I tried to duck under a tree branch... but I didn't duck quite low enough. I ran full speed into the tree branch knocking me on my rear. Luckily I was wearing a baseball hat or I might have really torn up my scalp!

My sister in law drives me to the the hospital while everyone else goes on to find two more caches. 2 hours and 11 stitches later, we meet up with the rest of the group in time to nab the last cache of the day.

Since I didn't yet have a name for geocaching, my brother insisted I incorporate the word "stitches" somehow.

Since then, I have fallen down gulleys and raised bruises 8 inches across, cut my fingers on nasty razor grass, and gotten some pretty nasty splinters. I pulled my back while trying to get to a cache on a dirtbike. In all, I have drawn blood 5 times.

I have developed a reputation as the "clutziest cacher" in my area. Now there is something to be proud of!

Here is my log from Doug's Bug Cache

June 17 by SmithMountainExplorers (21 found)

[This one was a simple find, BUT it was rather disasterous--or should we say adventurous?

Parking on the side of the road, nearly got stuck in the ditch--couldn't see how deep it was as the grass was so tall! Sat teetering on 2 tires for a moment--near panic attack!--but was able to get out! Then daughter slammed finger in the door....the drama! She'll lose that fingernail. But still she wanted to go. Found it--left VW Bug toy, took Spidey toy, signed the log.

As we were leaving, youngest son managed to walk into the rear end of the car and gave himself a black eye! LOL  Then picked up some cold sodas from the nearby grocery store...it was STILL a REALLY HOT DAY! But not too buggy and a good day to geocache!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Poor kids--They have gotten hurt---I have just had the ususal ticks, mud, and scratches from bushwacking.

Your poor kids !!! My gosh, what happens to them when you go someplace 'normal' like to get ice cream? hehehe.

Walking to a cache, I stepped on a really springy branch trying to keep it out of the way of my girlfriend when it slipped out from under me and preceded to thrust its way into my goody sack....... I tell you, i should have just let her try to cope on her own.....Woulda made a good pic, i didnt know eyes could gouge out that far....

Walking to a cache, I stepped on a really springy branch trying to keep it out of the way of my girlfriend when it slipped out from under me and preceded to thrust its way into my goody sack....... I tell you, i should have just let her try to cope on her own.....Woulda made a good pic, i didnt know eyes could gouge out that far....

Your 'goody sack' ? BAWAHAHAHAHA!!! Never heard it called that before ... :(