Hoax

kingsmen26

Yes.

There was a thread (a year ago or so?) where a hider teamed up with other cachers in the area.

He "planted" a cache that was not there and all the other cachers registered "finds". Their logs spoke of how hard it was.

Of course, the target of the hoax (some super cacher and major FTF person) didn't find the cache after many tries and was getting more frustrated. they finally told him, I think at a party.

Yes.

There was a thread (a year ago or so?) where a hider teamed up with other cachers in the area.

He "planted" a cache that was not there and all the other cachers registered "finds". Their logs spoke of how hard it was.

Of course, the target of the hoax (some super cacher and major FTF person) didn't find the cache after many tries and was getting more frustrated.  they finally told him, I think at a party.

Thats pretty diabolical (spelling) but funny. Any that weren't a group effort?

Edited by kingsmen26
Has there ever been a cache that was a complete hoax. I mean has there ever been a cache that someone has posted but there never was a cache at the posted location?

Of course, the target of the hoax (some super cacher and major FTF person) didn't find the cache after many tries and was getting more frustrated.  they finally told him, I think at a party

That would be an extremely unethical thing to do, and would warrant an equally unethical solution: If that were ever to happen to you, I would suggest you pick up every cache placed by the "hider" and every cache placed by every "finder" and deposit them into a garbage dumpster somewhere.

Undoubtedly, they would whine like babies about how they were 'only playing an innocent prank.' HaHa! Poor widdle babies. "Reap what you sow."

Edited by BassoonPilot

West of the Pecos (The Real Thing), now archived, started out as a prank on Team Wyle E, they of the infamous yellow Jeep (and the even more infamous Yellow Jeep Locationless Cache). After the truth came out and the victims invited the perpetrators over for drinks (part of the gag was that the cache was supposedly placed right around the corner from Team Wyle E's house), a physical cache was placed in the vicinity.

The hoax is now almost two years old, so you really need to read the log entries up to about 12 February 2002 which is when Wyle E was let in on the gag. But many of the cachers who were in on it (including our team) deleted our fake find logs after the real one was placed and logged (I think at the time we didn't realize we could have converted them to notes and preserved them for posterity).

You can find out more about how the hoax was executed by starting at this page on the Arizona Geocaching website.

Steve

Not a cache!

This cache was pretty controversial since the person who placed it appears to have taken and kept quite a number of travel bugs. One of them happened to be mine. (My poor Wonder Woman, may she R.I.P.) The consensus from the admins as we discussed it was that there never was a cache at this location and it was all a hoax. NC Ron&Dianne did a great job giving the cache hunt a shot and the local approver went above and beyond the call of duty on this one.

Yes.

Of course, the target of the hoax (some super cacher and major FTF person) didn't find the cache after many tries and was getting more frustrated. they finally told him, I think at a party.

At first I was ready to condem such a practice, then it began to really appeal to me.

I'll get help.

I am not condoning (spelling) this practice in the least. I think it would take a fairly mean hearted person to do. On the other hand, the group gag was quite funny. I hope that this doesn't happen to anyone again.

I just hope it doesn't happen to me !

(Not that I am a threat. I'll be under 100 found for my first year. Some of the hardcore cachers do that on a wekend.)

I am not condoning (spelling) this practice in the least. I think it would take a fairly mean hearted person to do. On the other hand, the group gag was quite funny. I hope that this doesn't happen to anyone again.

From the time the hoax cache was listed until the time the cat was let out of the bag and a physical cache was placed was less than a week. One concern of the pranksters was that "innocent bystanders" would seek the hoax cache.

A week may seem like a long time now, but there weren't that many cachers around in the olden days (two years ago).

Steve

I had to draw a diagram how this 1 gallon container was hidden for the seekers of this cache

At the following event cache they told me that they were considering placing a false cache as a 'friendly' revenge. I suggested they come up with a tough cache and give hints to everyone but me. They haven't done that, yet.

Hey, fake postings could be a great new twist to the game! Don't attack an idea just because it's new! Have an open mind! These are forward-thinking people who are bringing geocaching to a new level!

*cough cough*

Seriously, it'd be a decent prank if it could somehow be directed at a single person, but I'd be really PO'd if I wasted what little caching time I have on a hoax.

That would be an extremely unethical thing to do, and would warrant an equally unethical solution:

I think I'd put a cache at that location and then make the joker wonder why he suddenly had "finds" by people who weren't in on the joke.

Or put 4-5 caches in the area of a real cache, then see how the logs are different (like 5 different FTFs, etc.). No, I would never do that.

put 4-5 caches in the area of a real cache, then see how the logs are different (like 5 different FTFs, etc.). No, I would never do that.

In my region, something similar has happened on two or three occasions when kind-hearted, well-meaning individuals replaced "missing" caches that were not actually missing. In each case, the original cache hadn't been rehidden in its intended spot.