Any Opinions On Meridian Vs. Rino?

We just got a Magellan Sportrak Map and like it, but are disappointed to find it isn't compatible with the new DirectRoute software. We're considering one of two upgrade possibilities. Either a Magellan Meridian Platinum (because we like the compass, memory, and ability to run DirectRoute), or TWO Garmin Rino units (so we can geocache together without bickering over who gets the GPSr ;) ). The biggest priority for us is EXCELLENT reception under tree cover, which is why we're looking at quad antenna models. Any opinions about these models would be great! Thanks!

PS- Has anyone had reliability problems with these units?

What some peope don't understand it that FRS is only for short distance. It is great for geocaching with friends with multi GPRs so why not put them all in one unite. We have 3 rino 120s in our group and we all love them. There is also a new rino comming out, the 130 and it looks realy good, the ony problem is the price.

I do understand ;) !!! But if your NOT in line of sight you can pretty much forget any distance with the 110. Not even half the advertised distance. I can yell further than they could transmit. I use a Motorola 6300 FRS, has much better range. Look at the output wattage.

The GPS function worked good. I wouldnt pay the extra for the radio if your not going to use it. I like having unlimited mapping, storage of waypoints and routes on the SD card. Both will get you there.

Edited by DeerChaser
I use a Motorola 6300 FRS, has much better range. Look at the output wattage.

The Rino has full legal power under FRS - 0.5W. (sometimes written as 500mW - same thing) The same as your 6300.

The GMRS power out is 1W, but that's not uncommon for GMRS units although with a bit of hunting you can find ones with 2W out.

I don't dispute your observations, but there's no evidence of your claim based on only the power output as you suggest.

Edited by GeckoGeek

I'll put my .02 in on the range of the Rinos. I've only been outside of range a couple of times and that was steep mountain terrain with lots of trees. Whistler-Blackcomb Resort in BC Canada. I was able to use the radios even when there was no line of sight. I was in one parking lot while the rest of my party was on the other side of several huge hotels(long distance). I didn't even expect to get a hold of my party. I have been very happy with my 120. And the GPS functions are awesome. I can't believe how many options are packed into it.