Top Cache Finds In 24 Hours

skerg

hey guys I'm pretty new to this geocaching stuff but it seems cool so bear with me if my post doesn't sound correct ;)

I went out today with some friends who had done this before to find some for the first time and outta the 4 we had time to look for we only found 1, and that took us like 3 hours so i was wondering whats the highest finds someone has ever had in say 24 hours?

I believe the record is 238 finds in 24 hours, as discussed in This Topic. Folks who have a hard time believing that need to look at the cache maps for some of the high-density areas where it is quite possible to find more than 100 caches in a day. 50 in a day is fairly common, 100 in a day has been done by a sizeable handful of geocachers.

Also check out the Northwest forums by searching for the "cache machine" topics. Large groups follow a predetermined route optimized to maximize the number of finds.

:P I,CWOPER am proud to say that I did 5 states,5 Cache sites in 1 day.The states are as follows in order; Ohio, Kentuckey, Indiana, Illinois, missouri.I did this momentious and as of yet non-broken Geocaching feat on St.Patrick's day of 2003.Yes fellow Cachers,read this and weep because...I am a Geocaching God!!! ;):):P
:) I,CWOPER am proud to say that I did 5 states,5 Cache sites in 1 day.The states are as follows in order; Ohio, Kentuckey, Indiana, Illinois, missouri.I did this momentious and as of yet non-broken Geocaching feat on St.Patrick's day of 2003.Yes fellow Cachers,read this and weep because...I am a Geocaching God!!! :):P:P

Do virtuals along the interstate count? Some of those in the midwest you don't even have to slow down for. ;)

About FullCT, the guy who did the 200+ in 24 hours, isn't it kinda strange that he only has one TB find? I'm not saying he's a fraud, he might have just left the TBs in the caches, but that's kinda weird.

I would guess at the rate he was going, he figured he didn't have time to mess with TB's, wouldn't you think? ;)

Also check out the Northwest forums by searching for the "cache machine" topics. Large groups follow a predetermined route optimized to maximize the number of finds.

As we speak the Olympia Cache Machine is in progress in the snow. There were some late additions and I don't have my sheet handy, but I think the group is looking for 60+. Full information is available here.

About FullCT, the guy who did the 200+ in 24 hours, isn't it kinda strange that he only has one TB find? I'm not saying he's a fraud, he might have just left the TBs in the caches, but that's kinda weird.

Most of the really high volume cachers I know do not have time to worry about TB's. They find the cache, sign the log (or just slap a sticker in it), rehide the cache, and jog off to the next one. They often only allow themselves a few minutes time to find the cache, sign it, and rehide it. They don't even check for TB's.

I've tried, but I just can't do them that fast. I don't think I've ever pulled off more then 20 in a day. That's probably because, no matter how I plan and optimize the route between caches, I still like to enjoy the hunt. I take my time hiking in, stopping to take pictures, pick up a pretty rock, or observe a hawk sailing on the wind currents. At the cache, I look through everything, even though I rarely trade. I read through the log book, and make my own notes to jog my memory when I finally get around to logging it online. I'll take pics of the cache, and of the cache area. It's not unusual for me to "waste" 30 minutes at a nice cache site. The trip back to the car is the same as the way in.

Travel bugs aren't interesting to many cachers, myself included. However, I love virtuals. There is no accounting for taste.

-Rick

:) I,CWOPER am proud to say that I did 5 states,5 Cache sites in 1 day.The states are as follows in order; Ohio, Kentuckey, Indiana, Illinois, missouri.I did this momentious and as of yet non-broken Geocaching feat on St.Patrick's day of 2003.Yes fellow Cachers,read this and weep because...I am a Geocaching God!!! ;):P:P

Easy to do at least 7 in one day. I was vacationing in Maryland. I found three in three states in under an hour. The way I figure it,

Start in New Jersey (1), cross the Delaware Memorial bridge, get one in Delaware (2), drive another 20 miles, get one in Maryland(3).... drive to DC (4), then drive into Virginia(5) get one, head west, drive to West Virginia(6), get one.... then up I-81 to Pennsylvania(7).

7 states within 7 hours max. Probably on the same tank of gas.

You could probably even get a New York cache if you add three hours of driving. Or a marathon could add a few New England states.

All within daylight hours. I figure 8 to 10 hours at most, probably quicker if you cache and dash.

Most of the really high volume cachers I know do not have time to worry about TB's. 

OK, makes sense. Doing 200+ caches a day & taking all of the bugs in caches would probably mean about 25-50 bugs (at least) that you would (probably) drop off in other caches throughout the day would cause an unearthly headache. Personally, we take all of the bugs in caches that we find, so that could be why our max for a day is 9 ;) .

edit: gramer

Edited by wray_clan

I really don't think it's weird. I, personally, have no interest in TBs and don't really see the point in picking them up. Especially considering that one is found in a cache almost more often than not, and most of them are no more interesting than, well, a trinket with a dog tag attached. To each their own, I guess.

Last Weekend I did 8 on saturday and 17 on sunday. That was alot to me. the average cacher I know does 4-6 a day. Of course we are in the country in NE Texas so that may account for lower numbers. I think the average would depend on the density of caches in your area and once you find the caches close to you then you have to start driving further to find them.

I have read posts by cachers who detail how to find double-digit numbers of caches per day. It boils down to; plan your route, run don't walk, TNLNSL. The online logs for these marathons are always "Found this cache, 8 of 25. Thanks!" because they can't remember one from the other, and don't really care anyway.

I look at this and wonder - these people really think that is fun? Just to be able to say 25 in one day? Am I the only person here who thinks this is warped in a particularly 20th century american sort of way?

Not strange at all. I usually decline to pick up TBs and usually don't trade at all. Just want to find the cache, sign the log, and get outta there.