Jeremy Irish.....

If Disney owned the site this thread would have been shut down in less than a minute.

I don't see why. A clown, a monkey, some cartoon characters, some commercial icons and an outhouse (which rymes with mouse). So far all seems pretty Disney to me. Only thing missing is a heated debate about the evils of alternative sexual orientation, and now that I brought it up.......(sorry KA) ;)

I need a spell check on this thing....any $ in the treasury for spell check?

Edited by Johnnie Stalkers
PS - the wink was for the play on words (cache flow). Sorry that I was unclear.

:) Hee hee... ummm, I don't know whether to say DOH!! or just blame placenta brain. You know I never even noticed the switching of cache for cash until you pointed it out for me with a big flashing arrow! Good grief... I'll have to go tell my birth BB that we have yet another moron moment to add to the tally. ;)

Having been through these wars a few times, allow me to throw my somewhat informed $0.02 in.

I would appraise the GC.com site worth somewhere in the 10-15M range. Given the user base, the merchandising rights and the branding possibilities, this site is easily worth that price. This is 2000, right? George Bush isn't _really_ the president, is he? Please tell me it's all a bad dream and all my stock options are still worth something.

Seriously though, none of us would want to hang out here after it has been bought out, but GC.com is worth more than $250,000. By at least an order of magnitude and that's being conservative. Hang on guys, thanks for the fun, and have a good exit strategy.

-E

Well if he wants to sell, the money *is* out there. For example, I recently sold the Texas geocaching site to a local Dallas used car dealer for 10 pounds of BBQ brisket. ;)

Wow, Texas BBQ brisket..hmmmmmm brisket. (I miss Texas, theres no place like home, there no place like home.....)

First time I ever heard of a car dealer in Texas getting the short end of a deal. If you got any of that brisket left over I have some stuff for trade.

Given the location of TPTB, I'd guess they'd have to sell for 25 pounds of crab legs and some smoked salmon.

Well if he wants to sell, the money *is* out there. For example, I recently sold the Texas geocaching site to a local Dallas used car dealer for 10 pounds of BBQ brisket.  ;)

It's not any of that Yankee Barbeque with sauce all over it, is it? I'd hold out for a better offer if it is.

For the uninitiated, "real" Texas barbeque is beef brisket, slow cooked over a wood fire. Done correctly, there is no need for sauce. Most Texas BBQ places have a thin spicy sauce, but if the brisket is cooked correctly it's moist enough to not need it. Now that I've moved away from Austin, there are times that I would give a testicle for 5 pounds of brisket from Rudys or the Salt Lick.

mmmm. All this talk of food is making me hungry.

-E

There may be 180,000 registered users, but only 13,000 of them logged caches in the last (very busy) week. That gives you a good idea of the ratio of people who have tried geocaching to the number of people who got hooked and do it regularly (and might be willing to pay).

Right now, thats an average of only 260 active geocachers per state. Could Disney (or anybody) increase this number by an order of magnitude while simultaneously increasing the monthly fee? I doubt it. Could Jeremy convince them that this is possible, then sell out at a premium price? Possibly. There are indications that 2004 is shaping up to be another 1999 as far as Internet bubbles go.

-Rick

Personally, I'd hate to see Jeremy sell out unless he retained programming and site management ability. I've just had too many negative experiences with companies that have sold out or merged, and in my experience it's never as good as "before". I may not like everything about the site, and have my own ideas of what would make it better, but for now, it works well and I don't want to see it changed.

There, is my nose brown enough, or should I continue? ;)

I've been away for a week and stopped in to check the forums. Nothing's different for the new year, upinyachit is still at it. Go caching Duane. Get outside and get some fresh air to clear your head. Happy New Year everyone. I have to get home soon where the snow isn't so deep and the caches are more accessible.

Just some ill-formed thoughts:

Reasons why a big corp. might find purchasing GC.com problematic and therefore undesireable:

1) Who owns the caches? Are they derivative works, covered under a copyright of some sort? Is a large corporation going to want to spend the time and money to pay royalties to cache hiders for their listing?

2) Liability? A large corp. is a huge "Hit Me" target for lawyers. If "Disney" bought GC.com, are they going to expose themselves to lawsuits due to mal-placed caches (I.E. private property, Government lawsuits for banned parks/caves etc.).

3) Cache approval due to 2 must therefore lead to higher personell. Someone would have to physically verify the caches to fufill some sort of due diligence to protect themselves from lawsuits. Paid staff acting as approvers who actually SEE the cache and contact land owners/managers for confirmation of approval are needed. How many people per state/region is taht going to add to the headcount/overhead?

4) If purchaser is Garmin/Magellan or other GPS manufacturer: Would there be some sort of trade issues if they banned competitors names in discussion forums or from advertisement opportunities? Especially where there is already a prior presence (at least in the forums). What about libel issues from posters who post negatively in the forums? They will need serious moderation staff - paid of course.

Adding up all the legal issues, staffing issues & hardware/operation costs, a company would have to believe very strongly that the invested cost is going to provide them some return. I don't think it is there, personally.

GC.com, as is it, is a 'small' target - lawyers want to go after people they know have large pockets, and I doubt GC.com would fit that bill (from a lawyers point of view mind you). I think if it ever changes hands, it will not be to a large corporation, but to a group of enthusiasts who keep the site low profile with volunteers & free memberships.

Just my opinion.

You people keep basing the membership numbers on the forum members. There are 15,000 plus registered on the forums. There are 180,000 plus registered on the site. Less than 10 percent of registered users on GC register on the forums.

First of I don't know what people's problem is with the question. It seems like a valid question to me. I don't think the poster deserves the hits they have been taking for asking the question. Maybe for other things they have said in the past but this seems to me like a good point. Would GC sell out, what would that mean to GeoCaching as we know it, what would be the price point to sell, etc.?

You can't really take those numbers and come up with any sort of realistic percent of numbers of users that use the forums. How many of those 180,000 are still active, were ever really active? How many are sock puppets? How many of us have more than one account? Yes it is less than 10% of registered users but I don't know that the number of registered users really means anything.

It would be better if we had an idea of the number of registered users that are active, maybe like had a find in the last month or something like that. As well as the number of users that have come in the forums recently if even to just look and not post. That would give us a clearer picture on the percent of people that are active in the sport and that read the forums. I don't think those numbers would be any where near 180,000 or 15,000.

But those are the people that are responsible for keeping the sport alive and coming up with new ideas to make it better, even if those ideas are not always met with a positive attitude by TPTB.

The only person who can answer the question isn't participating. My guess would be that he knows better than to open a can of worms. Everything else is speculation. Being worried about a what-if-then scenario is pretty low on my personal list. Go cache! I found 3 of 4 today and if the rain holds off may do a few more. This is our 5th consecutive day with at least 1 find. I love this game, sure hope he doesn't sell out. ;)

Go caching Duane. Get outside and get some fresh air to clear your head.

That's funny, Casey and I just got back from finding a few caches in Colorado Springs. I feel much better now, my head needed the fresh air. LOL

Now I have to log in the caches we found and all three travel bugs.

Yes I had an excellent time with my son today. ;)

Duane

Upinyachit

:)

Edited by upinyachit
Go caching Duane. Get outside and get some fresh air to clear your head.

That's funny, Casey and I just got back from finding a few caches in Colorado Springs. I feel much better now, my head needed the fresh air. LOL

Now I have to log in the caches we found and all three travel bugs.

Yes I had an excellent time with my son today. :D

Duane

Upinyachit

:huh:

Great Duane! Shifty and I got 4 out of 5 today, despite the cloudy weather here in SW Ohio. Are you glad you didn't return to the big mouse logo?

It might help my stock move in the direction I want it to.

Why wouldn't he sell if the price was right? Jeremy has not kept it secret that this is a for profit business. If someone through an obscene, life-changing amount of cash at him, he should sell.

The game would still go on. If the new owners trash the site, people would merely list their caches elsewhere, either on a new site or at that 'other' one.

I would give a testicle for 5 pounds of brisket from Rudys or the Salt Lick.

There is a such thing as too much information!!! :huh:

Also like to mention that most of the country does not know what SALT LICK you are referring to. :D

Oops, sorry about that. The Salt Lick is just about the best BBQ anywhere. I haven't had better, anyway. It's a favorite destination for folks around Austin when they have relatives in town or a business associate who wants to get "off the beaten path".

On any Friday night, you can find about 1000 people hanging out, waiting for their name to be called to get in. Don't worry about the wait, it never seems to take that long. Pack a cooler of cold beverages if you want because it's a dry county and you have to BYOB. The restaurant itself is an old bunkhouse from the 1800's and it's not much to look at. In the milder months, they also have outdoor seating. The food is served family style and it's all you can eat. After you've gorged yourself on brisket, ribs, turkey, and all the sides, they ask you if you want blackberry cobbler. Well, of course you do!

Obligatory geocaching-related remark: There's even a geocache nearby.

-E

The Salt Lick is just about the best BBQ anywhere. I haven't had better, anyway. It's a favorite destination for folks around Austin when they have relatives in town or a business associate who wants to get "off the beaten path".

Cooper's in Llano has the best food, but The Salt Lick scene is better.

We now return you to your regulary scheduled discussion ~

$250,000 - I doubt it.

$2,500,000 - probably

$25,000,000 - who wouldn't

I guess you could always E-mail Jeremy and ask what his "price" is. Then start raising the capital......

Who wouldn't?...let's think about that for a moment.

Who could buy Disney?

Who is a computer geek?

Who lives in the great soggy Northwest?

Who would create something like this just for his amusement, money be damned?

Who would let this thread continue, even with the personal attacks?

Can the forest not be seen due to the trees, or poor GPS reception there in? :huh:

I just thought of something a little funny. I wonder if GC would ever offer to buy lil' ol' Navicache. Then there would be no competion at all and the value of this site would go up a little more. Gc wouldn't have to worry about censorship, trolls, members trying to keep up with both websites, members listing there own caches on both sites, and members getting upset with each other in the forums, then switching sides. It would eliminate all kinds of kinks. Jeremy and his staff wouldn't have to worry any more. :huh:

I wonder if Navicache would ever sell out?

The website really doesn't compare to this one, but they just seem to be hanging around and chillen. :D

Duane

Upinyachit

:D

I just thought of something a little funny. I wonder if GC would ever offer to buy lil' ol' Navicache. Then there would be no competion at all and the value of this site would go up a little more. Gc wouldn't have to worry about censorship, trolls, members trying to keep up with both websites, members listing there own caches on both sites, and members getting upset with each other in the forums, then switching sides. It would eliminate all kinds of kinks. Jeremy and his staff wouldn't have to worry any more. :huh:

I wonder if Navicache would ever sell out?

The website really doesn't compare to this one, but they just seem to be hanging around and chillen. :D

Duane

Upinyachit

:D

What would be the point. Navicache has had no impact on GC.com at all. Not much of a threat to business there... I think Opencaching will be the true competition whenever it gets off the ground.

There may be 180,000 registered users, but only 13,000 of them logged caches in the last (very busy) week. That gives you a good idea of the ratio of people who have tried geocaching to the number of people who got hooked and do it regularly (and might be willing to pay).

Right now, thats an average of only 260 active geocachers per state. Could Disney (or anybody) increase this number by an order of magnitude while simultaneously increasing the monthly fee? I doubt it. Could Jeremy convince them that this is possible, then sell out at a premium price? Possibly. There are indications that 2004 is shaping up to be another 1999 as far as Internet bubbles go.

-Rick

Don't count us as quitters, we've been inside due to shared sinusitus. :huh:

Maybe Jeremy should buy out Magellan and Garmin......

From the CNN News Wire:

January 2, 2004

SCO got wind of the MS or Disney deal and declared that they owned the patents to geocaching as acquired from Garmin in 1996. A spokesperson for the company said that they would be filing a 3 Billion dollar lawsuit against GC.com as well as individual suits against GeoCachers who had found 1500 or more caches.

I never made it to The Salt Lick or Coopers. Rudy's in Leon Springs is where I learned to love smoked turkey. That is one of the last places I made sure to eat at before moving from San Antonio to Phoenix. ;) (anybody have a smiley with drool running down the chin?)

To keep on topic...If the price is high enough, I think any of us would be more than happy to sell if we were in the same position.