Jeremy Irish.....

I was wondering if a big corporation was to offer Jeremy a large sum of money for rights to this website, do you think he would he do it? Let's say Walt Disney offered, oh, I don't know, maybe $250,000? Would it be a wise decision to sell it or is this site not about the money, but about the love for the sport and he would tell them to take a hike. ;)

I have been called "Mr. Drama" on this site, but this is a serious question.

Please keep in mind that the administrators are monitoring my posts and please, serious repliers only. I would just like to hear other members opinions without causing any problems. So if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't post. If you have an opinion, then fire away.

It's that simple............

Duane

Upinyachit

:)

I thought he already sold it to Disney, for $750,000?

Sure seems like an amusment park, with all the jokers here lately.

If I was Jeremy, I'd keep the main site, and sell the forums for oh, about $2.95, the price of a Starbucks carmel apple cider.

Edited by Mopar

OK, this thread at Southern California Geocachers (www.scgeocachers.org) IS NOT SERIOUS. It was a total tongue in cheeck deal, but it sure wqs funny.

SCG Thread

(I didn't start it!)

Seriously - I don't think Disney is a good example. They have enough of their own problems as it is. Someone else -- well - my Mama used to say "never say never"! I for one HOPE not. It would undoubtedly change things, and IMHO, not for the better!

The disney rumour is floating all over the place.

As the owner of a large hobby site (http://wildhobbies.com) that costs me a bunch of money in hosting fees every month, I would consider any serious offer that would allow the site to continue and have a contract that provides a certain level of control over a period of at least two years.

Is that selling out? I don't think so. The GC site is extrememly busy and is suffering some growing pains right now and an influx of cash to provide quality services for users can hardly be considered a bad thing. Considering there is very, very little revenue opportunities from the site that I see, a partnership with a company with the funds to expand the site, add features, add servers, etc. would only be good for the hobby as a whole.

Some people may think that is selling out, but unless the site is making more money than it is brining in, something will need to change sooner or later. I had to add Google Adsense ads and a few banner ads and now my costs are covered and my site has a much brighter future. Sometimes you have to give up a little in order to survive. Anyone that considers that selling out should simply fork over a few paychecks as a donation instead.

First of all, I hope not.

I also don't think it will happen. There aren't even any popups or spam email from the site. Numerous opportunities exist to make more money with the site, and yet he has chosen to keep it free of these things. The site is constantly improving, and there are a few ideals being upheld that people may or may not agree with, but that's what makes using it the experience that it is. If some big company purchased the site, I'd bet that inside six months it would change so much, none of us would want to use it. In fact, I'd be interested to see how many people would agree to shift all of their caches over to an alternative site in the event this one was sold. I think it is in the best interest of the sport for it's listing services to be run by cachers, rather than corporations.

I think if Jeremy seriously cared for the site he wouldn't sell it to anyone like Disney who had plans to change the way the game is played. Now if a hiking or gps company (or even the NPS... wait nevermind) came in with the true intentions improve the site I think he might consider it. Personally Iwouldn't like it to change hands.

Lets see 15,421 registered users. Assuming half of them are Premium Members @ $3 per month thats $23,131.50 per month or $277,578.00 per year not including merchandise. One would assume a payed staff of not more than 5 could handle it pretty easily. I'd say there is some positive cache flow. ;)

I see the wink, but could take it more than one way? Even if there were that many paying members salary ain't the only cost, and $277K for all salary expenses for 5 folks living in the Seattle area seems rather undershot to me! Yikes! Better Jeremy and pals' pockets than mine!

I hope he wouldn't sell even if the chance presented itself, because like some others, I suspect the site would turn into something I wouldn't want to bother with or the membership rate would go up so much I couldn't do it. I think I'll just stick my head in the sand and not worry about it until we really see it coming.

T-storm

:) Smiling a goofy, happy smile with eyes wide shut!

Lets see 15,421 registered users.  Assuming half of them are Premium Members @ $3 per month thats $23,131.50 per month or $277,578.00 per year not including merchandise.  One would assume a payed staff of not more than 5 could handle it pretty easily.  I'd say there is some positive cache flow.  ;)

I see the wink, but could take it more than one way? Even if there were that many paying members salary ain't the only cost, and $277K for all salary expenses for 5 folks living in the Seattle area seems rather undershot to me! Yikes! Better Jeremy and pals' pockets than mine!

I hope he wouldn't sell even if the chance presented itself, because like some others, I suspect the site would turn into something I wouldn't want to bother with or the membership rate would go up so much I couldn't do it. I think I'll just stick my head in the sand and not worry about it until we really see it coming.

T-storm

:) Smiling a goofy, happy smile with eyes wide shut!

Well I definately did not mean to imply that Jeremy is going to retire in the next day or two. I was just saying that there is some cache flow. Clearly enough to cover the cost of running a spam and mostly commercial free site (which isn't cheap considering the band width we are chewing on).

I am in no way trying to be critical of the site, I think it's great the way it is. The only time I get a little upset is when I perceive that I do not have a voice as a customer. This is a minor thing based mostly on MY background and perception of events. I don't really give my own thoughts that much credit.

That being said 1/4 of a million would scarcley cover 5 employees and web hosting. (I Imagine alot of Ramen noodles and maccaroni for dinner.)

PS - the wink was for the play on words (cache flow). Sorry that I was unclear.

$250k is way short. If this site was purchased there would be a mandatory membership of $4.95 - 9.95 per month with in a year. The site is probably worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $750,000 - $900,000. Once another company buys it, implements the mandatory $9.95 per month membership fee, spends a few million on advertising and builds the membership base to 150,000 + members that company would sell it for about $14,000,000. by then the sport will not even remotely resemble what it is today. The other option is that Jeremy can easily raise the capitol himself for marketing build the membership up himself, over the next 3 years slowly implement a membership fee, ($3 option becomes 3$ mandatory plus $5 optional for upgrades, then it gets bumped up over the coarse of 3 years.) Then sell the site himself for $14mill.

Do I think he will do that? It's business. He should. But I hope he doesn't.

From the CNN News Wire:

January 2, 2004

SCO got wind of the MS or Disney deal and declared that they owned the patents to geocaching as acquired from Garmin in 1996. A spokesperson for the company said that they would be filing a 3 Billion dollar lawsuit against GC.com as well as individual suits against GeoCachers who had found 1500 or more caches.

You people keep basing the membership numbers on the forum members. There are 15,000 plus registered on the forums. There are 180,000 plus registered on the site. Less than 10 percent of registered users on GC register on the forums.

El Diablo

OK I guess that makes sense. Actually now that I think about it I knew that. Well then even my numbers are low.

dboggny?

I was wondering if you took the short bus to school? I clearly stated don't post if you don't have anything nice to say.

My quote:

So if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't post. If you have an opinion, then fire away.

Grow up??????? There is plenty of other options then personally attacking me in the forums. This is the third time you have done this. Maybe next time don't post to MY topic, DUH. ;)

Where are the mods when I need them?

Duane

There sure have been some very rude remarks lately that are totally uncalled for and appear as personal attacks. Are the mods still breathing?

As far as the numbers someone posted about about the monthly income flow that is probably coming in, you gotta remember the costs as well. I can imagine the servers and whatever bandwidth costs , license fees, technical aspects from other things add up to plenty.

upinyachit,Jan 2 2004, 05:22 PM] dboggny?

I was wondering if you took the short bus to school?

what is this supposed to insinuate?

I clearly stated don't post if you don't have anything nice to say.

My quote:

So if you don't have anything nice to say, then don't post. If you have an opinion, then fire away.

i clearly understood you. guess what smart guy, i dont take orders from you

Grow up??????? There is plenty of other options then personally attacking me in the forums.  This is the third time you have done this. Maybe next time don't post to MY topic, DUH.  ;)

again, i dont take orders from you. your posts are worthless and the only thing you intend to do by posting is to stir up trouble. you have nothing to conribute to the commnunity.

hopefully modding your posts.

Edited by dboggny

The moderators are right here. Give me a minute, OK??? It's Friday evening.

dboggny - please refrain from personal attacks. It is fine to take issue with someone's ideas and opinions. This is clearly stated in the forum guidelines.

upinyachit - it's interesting that you are calling for a moderator, as I clearly recall that you made fun of me the last time I came to your defense. But I'll enforce the rules fairly as to everyone.

The two of you should take your differences to private messages or e-mail, or just ignore each other.

Please everyone play nicely. I now return you to your regularly scheduled topic.

dboggny?

I was wondering if you took the short bus to school? I clearly stated don't post if you don't have anything nice to say.

My quote:

Grow up??????? There is plenty of other options then personally attacking me in the forums. This is the third time you have done this. Maybe next time don't post to MY topic, DUH. ;)

Duane

I'll have to side with duane here. There are no need for personal attacks. He may irratate me at times, but there is nothing wrong with this thread. He even asked up front to post nice or not post at all.

If we are going to hold him to a standard, then we have to hold ourselves to one also.

El Diablo

I have seen a rumor with the 250K number before. I think I first saw it in a thread on another site specifically labled as rumors and full of unfounded rumors.

Would Jeremy sell? Well, I can't can't speculate on that, I don't know him! Only Jeremy can accurately answer that question, and I wouldn't blame him if he stayed silent on the topic.

I will say that 250K would be very low. I couldn't see selling for that. Now a higher number? Well, it would make people freak out, but if he got high millions, I would understand. I wouldn't be happy and could suddenly become a user of solely another site, but would understand why it happened.

edited because I spelled rumors wrong!

Edited by carleenp

O.K.

MY 2cents....

Mr. Irish I know you have been reading so you must be really thinking about this one............$$$$ in your head?? Maybe someday you can get a better car then that Saturn.

I would like to suggest that we have an chance to buy stock before you sell.....that way you can run up the purchase price.

You can require that you need to be a "paying member" to purchase the stock. That would also drives up the selling price.......Its a win/win situation.

So I suggest if you get an offer please think of the members!!!!! ;)

I would like to suggest that we have an chance to buy stock before you sell.....that way you can run up the purchase price.

You can require that you need to be a "paying member" to purchase the stock. That would also drives up the selling price.......Its a win/win situation.

I would maybe buy some shares. But let's not get into insider trading issues please! ;):)

The only reason I am calling for the mods is so that I don't get yet another thread closed because of rude people. He didn't have to post to a topic that he himself thinks is stupid.

what is this supposed to insinuate?

Very few people took the short bus to school...... LOL

your posts are worthless and the only thing you intend to do by posting is to stir up trouble

Hmmmm, seems to me you always post to my topics, though, eh? Just once I would like to hear an opinion ABOUT THE TOPIC from you. Low and behold, there isn't any. Such a shame.

hopefully modding your posts

One more added to "The List" Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!!!!

Duane

Just for clarification, Jeremy does cache. Here is his most recent log:

" December 29, 2003 by Jeremy (Jeremy) (123 found)

I didn't have much time during the holidays to do much caching, but I was able to go out on this brisk day with family and friends. It was also a great diversion to work off some of those pounds from Tom Turkey.

A nice, friendly hike. The GPS was pointing past the "no tresspassing" fence towards the cache but you don't need to go that way to find it. It is still within the park area.

I picked up Oran Orangutan Travel Bug and will go to Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle to take some pictures of it in front of the primate cage.

Thanks for the hunt!"

And it appears he is still having a good time. He has found 123 caches and he owns 5 caches and 17 travelbugs. (His first one was a frog!) :);)