A 2003 Caching Mystery.

Seasider

Look very carefully at the photo in the link below :-

UK's Most Wanted

This pair have cached under the alias of "2C's" and were first spotted on Sat 12 July 2003 rummaging in hedgerows all over Berkshire, Surrey & Hampshire.

A week later on Sat 19th July 2003 there were unconfirmed sightings at the very successful Winchester HCC Event :-

Winchester HCC Event (& Evening BBQ for cachers)

Were you there? Did you spot them? :D:D:unsure:

The pair are responsible for the UK record of most caches in a day - 36 - but have never been brought to justice for this act of lunacy!! B)B)

They must be found!

If you have any information relating to their identity then please post it here!

Cheers!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider

Whoops! :unsure:

County boundary was indistinct on my map (first post amended for bad geography)!!

I thought Bracknall was in Hampshire - I'm from Lancashire so once I'm over the Manchester Ship Canal then everything just merges together! :DB)

Now consider this - when I go out on a cache trip which isn't a roughly circular tour then I tend to start at the cache furthest from home/hotel and finish at the cache closest to home/hotel. When I did my recent southern tour I stayed near Watford on the Mon,Tue,Wed nights. The Tue caching route was roughly circular so I started and finished near the hotel - the main consideration for the starting cache was ease of find in the dark. However, Weds caching took me to the Epping Forest area so I got up early to beat the traffic and started at the furthest cache and ended at a cache just a few miles from the hotel. The reason being that you are not faced with a long drive when tiredness or darkness hits. So I would assume the 2C's did the same - got up early from base on the south coast and drove to their furthest cache first - therefore, they live in Hampshire!

Is one O'Mally's dad?!

Seasider

Edited by Seasider

Just my thoughts on their location......

If they ARE really experienced cachers that have teamed up then hit some caches together the chances are that they would have already done all their local ones on their own.

Therefore it owuld make more sense that they have commuted to an area with a high density of caches available. In short they could live anywhere......

Maybe the clue is in the name 2C's, clive and colin ? Chris and Cliff...? who knows ???? Maybe the UK stats page can be off assistance......

Nice....

If they ARE really experienced cachers that have teamed up then hit some caches together the chances are that they would have already done all their local ones on their own.

but surely if they were doing caches that they haven't done before then they would use their own caching names. I know I would. So I've always assumed that at least one of them had done these caches before, knew that they could quickly bag them, and so teamed up to try to log as many caches as possible in a day and to try to get a record.

So if they have done the caches before, then is their record really valid..... finding a cache you've already found is much easier then finding it for the first time....

Peter

Interesting mystery, the pictures on their gallery are pretty clear (especially this one - beware, it's a spoiler [their first hit] and this one [their last hit].

Someone must recognise them from those pictures; I agree with the theory that they are experienced cachers who used this name simply for a record. Their final comment "16 hours, 265 miles by car, more than 10 by foot. 36 caches in the day."

Edited by The Wombles
Interesting mystery, the pictures on their gallery are pretty clear (especially this one - beware, it's a spoiler [their first hit] and this one [their last hit].

Someone must recognise them from those pictures; I agree with the theory that they are experienced cachers who used this name simply for a record. Their final comment "16 hours, 265 miles by car, more than 10 by foot. 36 caches in the day."

....judging by the composition of all the piccies in the gallery, are they using a tripod and pre-timer, or, was there a "Third Man"?

I reckon I've sussed one half of the 2Cs team ;) .

How about a team that had done 34 of the 36 caches BEFORE the 2Cs tour 12th July :) (aren't databases just wonderfull :P).

There are no photographs of 'said' team and they have a fairly set 'caching' pattern - no finds between the 6th July and 26th July :P.

Now who would like to know who I think one half of the team are?

Okay I may have the answer...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...&log=y&decrypt=

In this cache The Hurigan Hoopers meet The Coastway Cruisers (2C's maybe)- this is June 28th. Exactly two weeks later 2C's go on their cache blitz.

Interestingly, neither team has posted on the forums so they're probably oblivious to all this!

What do you think?

MarcB

...............perhaps someone ought to post a link to this thread to the teams concerned.....they may want a right to rebuttal :):P;)

A little naughty though me thinks, fancy doing caches twice just to get a record....

my point exactly

To be fair to them they did state in their logs:

We are visiting as many caches as we can in a single day.

Note the word visiting - they don't actually claim to have found the caches that day. Anyone could go for this 'record' if they wanted to, if that's the sort of thing you enjoy it just goes to show what can be done :huh:.