What Is The Us Power Squadron?

Clyde1140

And lastly, how accurate and detailed a search do they do? I see many around here listed with a skull because they could not locate.

To summarize, treat them the same way you'd treat any log by another geocacher. Don't let the fact they are on the official NGS log fool you. Some are good. Some are awful.

GeckoGeek is right on.

Just last week I found two stations previously reported to NGS (by US Power Squadron) as 'not found.'

Station BUSH had a long history with multiple, poorly-written and confusing recovery reports. But I zeroed in one that put it x feet from a readily-identifiable fence post. True, the benchmark was buried under thick ivy ground cover, but it wasn't really all that difficult to locate. A nearby reference mark, which had also been reported unfound, was likewise pretty easy to turn up.

Having said that, reports from USPSQD are more often right than wrong. There may be reasons not to look for a benchmark previously reported as 'not found,' but the presence of such a report doesn't necessarily mean you won't find the thing (though I don't believe I've yet turned up on reported as 'not found' by an official state or federal agency).

-ArtMan-

Having said that, reports from USPSQD are more often right than wrong. There may be reasons not to look for a benchmark previously reported as 'not found,' but the presence of such a report doesn't necessarily mean you won't find the thing (though I don't believe I've yet turned up on reported as 'not found' by an official state or federal agency).

-ArtMan-

Come on down to western NC, lots of em here reported not found by state and fed agencies!

FB1125

FB0848

FB1124

The reason i asked wa sthat if you look at all the NCGS 1967 ones listed as not found on that page, its like the USPS guy didn't even try, I have seriuos doubts that that many fairly new monuments are difficult to find!

The reason i asked wa sthat if you look at all the NCGS 1967 ones listed as not found on that page, its like the USPS guy didn't even try, I have seriuos doubts that that many fairly new monuments are difficult to find!

That's minor. You may be reading more into "not found" then is proper. Please note that the fact that CG assigns a skull icon on any mark that has a "not found" is considered by all of us to be a bug.

None of the marks you've cited has a recovery after the "not found" so I don't see any real evidence of anything wrong on unusual. Keep in mind that the level of proof needed for a NGS "destroyed" designation will cause many destroyed marks to be recorded as "not found".

Has anyone approached the NGS to see if Geocaching.com can enter into an cooperative arrangement like the US Power Squadron did? There are enough of us doing this and we obviously have the land navigation skills that are vital for finding benchmarks.

The USPS has a 'NOS-USPS Cooperative Charting ID Card' that identifies teh carrier as being 'official' in their capacity of searching for benchmarks. Having an ID like this would ease the minds of land and building owners and security guards when they find someone walking around looking for something on or near their property or facility.

It would be nice to be lent some credibility in doing this, on top of doing it for fun.

The USPS has a 'NOS-USPS Cooperative Charting ID Card' that identifies teh carrier as being 'official' in their capacity of searching for benchmarks.  Having an ID like this would ease the minds of land and building owners and security guards when they find someone walking around looking for something on or near their property or facility.

The topic of an ID card was discussed at length here. It's interesting to know that the USPS had an "official" ID card. I'm wondering if the USPS didn't just print them up themselves? I mean, did they really need to have an offical blessing of the NGS?

The topic of an ID card was discussed at length here. It's interesting to know that the USPS had an "official" ID card. I'm wondering if the USPS didn't just print them up themselves? I mean, did they really need to have an offical blessing of the NGS?

Thanks! I looked at all of the Power Squadron topics and didn't see anything about this. I'll check ID card topic!

I looked at all of the Power Squadron topics and didn't see anything about this. I'll check ID card topic!

I don't think you'll find it there. If they do have a government sanctioned ID card (this is the first I've heard of that), I'd be interested in getting one like that for myself. That might help with the ones that are on military bases.