Home For A Travel Bug

Uno Mas

I am living in the USA, but will be visiting Cape Town briefly this month. I would like to "release" a travel bug while I am there but am having difficulty finding an appropriate cache. We will only be in Cape Town for 4 days and have quite a few things we wish to do. We're not serious hikers, so long distance walking for a cache probably won't work for us.

Also... I really don't know the area well at all, so I've just been looking at the caches in the immediate area of Cape Town. We do plan on touring a couple wine regions while we are there.

Can anyone recommend a traditional cache (or two) that we could consider for dropping off our travel bug??

Thank you!

KnK

Well... we have plans to visit Franschoek so we'll be heading in that direction. Also planning on visiting Table Mountain. We only have a few days and my husband wouldn't like spending much time just caching. ;) If there was something to see along the way, he'd be OK with it. I guess I'd like to keep it within a few hours of Cape Town, if that was the only thing we were going for.

I realize that I may not have many options, other than the virtuals around the city. Without knowing the area very well, the maps from Geocaching are not much help at this point.

Thank you for your help, in advance! :)

Hi KNK

There are a number of caches where you can drop your Travel bug in the city area. Some I recommend are:

Lions Head: About 1.5 hour walk up lions head, right in city centre, Excellent views.

Zulu 7 : Not as strenous as mentioned in cache description. Can be done in 30 minutes total, and close to famous Kirstenbosch gardens.

Constantia Forest: If you are renting a car, this is close to city centre, and a 5 minute walk from car.

Sandy Bay – Cape Town: This is close to famous nude beach (now frequented mainly by naked guys :-(, but quick easy walk, with a great coastal drive thrown in.

Sentinel View: One of my favourite Caches, and the first ever in SA. Magnificent views. Slightly longer drive from city centre (45 min) and reasonably tiring walk (about 1.5 hours.

Jonkershoek: I haven't done this one, but i beleive it is a nice easy cache, in the Stellenbosch winelands area. If you drop the TB here, I will be sure to rush to get it. I do love to find them, and we need more of them around here.

Cheers - Enjoy your visit and happy caching!

Discombob

Thank you both so much! We're really looking forward to our trip, just wish we had more time! This will be the my first release of a travel bug and he's mine as well! I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find a cache, but with the help you've given me I'm certain I will find more than one!

Thank you again! :(

KnK

Edited by knk

... one of my favourites is D.I.Y. ! It is a very nice walk, not too long and a great location. Unfortunately, only few people are going there.

Some impressions of the caches I found around Cape Town you can find on my website www.samaz.de . It is in German but maybe I will translate it in the next days.

emzett