Final Got My...

TimSkells

Don't pay any attention to those guys. If it can receive the signal and display coordinates your IN. Seems like I saw a couple of threads about caching with no GPS last week, your unit would be appreciated by those folks. Just have some fun.

Yeah, Tim was the one who started one of those threads. I did my first find (1/1) without, but you need to have an intimate knowledge of places where caches are hidden, and a desire to spend a bunch of time searching. Yes, you could navigate from a highly detailed TOPO map and plotting the GPS coordinates from that, but isn't that orienteering? He can probably get to within a hundred feet or so if his GPSr has 2 decimal places. But I do agree, he should fire it up and go out and have some fun with it. It may just answer a lot of his questions. B)

Edited by Tiwica

I think it's cool. I have a Garmin 2000 that was purchased in 1999 and it works fine. Not quite as automated as my newer unit. You have to know the coordinates for your current location to get it to lock on to other sats but after you do that it works fine.

Nuwati

:unsure:

I just looked at eBay and I ~can't~ believe how much those things are worth! I figured it was worth about five or ten bucks, but they sell for much more. You might consider selling yours putting the cash towards a new one...

It still looks Very Cool; maybe that's why people bid them up so much at auction?

Best Wishes,

Bob

It will work, but you may have trouble getting and keeping a sat lock because the 75 is an 8 channel sequential receiver. That is, it looks for and gets data from sats one at a time, rather than all at once like a parallel receiver. Trees and obstructions will cause you problems. But with patience it will help you find caches.

My first GPSr, a Garmin III, purchased in 1997, is also an 8-channel sequential receiver. Compared to current rigs, it is much slower to acquire and much faster to lose a signal, which makes it very frustrating to use. (It is very accurate however)

My recommendation is to sell it on ebay and buy a current model.

I have had that same model since 1995 on my boat, and just started using it for geocaching in October and it has provided me with accurate info and it has found 70 caches as of today. However, I am getting the new GarminMapC60 as soon as they come out.

Johnny Cache

Edited by johnnycachebox

I've had my old Garmin 38 for years ! They don't even support or repair them any longer!

I just ordered a new Garmin GPSMap 76S with the Bluechart disk for my boat. I ordered it from GPS Discount. Their price was the best that I found and they didn't charge shipping because the order was over $400.00.

I'll be sure and let you know when it arrives whether or not I'm happy with their service if you're interested. :(

Well... I got my Garmin GPS 76S and it's the greatest thing in the world! WOW! I've been looking at the prices in catalogs for a while and was pleased to pay only $400.00 for it with the BlueChart Marine Software!

I broke down and bought the Garmin Roads & Recreation software for it too but they've discontinued that version now. Don't really know why they did... it's good stuff!

I suggest that you take that unit out and pratice with it until you are comfortable using it. Learn what features you really use and like and then when you have saved enough to buy a new unit you will know what features you want in the new one.

To help you get started praticing try this benchmark. It should be in your area and the coordinates are adjusted. As an added feature it is pre-1900 monumented. <_<

Have fun with the new toy!

John

Who cares how it looks. It looks like the ones we were using called pluggers back in 1992-1996 when I was in the service. Have fun, other than bragging about how much money they spent those other folks have nothing on you. It is a very individual activity, and it is not rocket science. I like the people who post on my cache that the coords are off, suggesting that I placed them wrong. Even though everyone else found them easily. These units are just radio recievers nothing more. They use the same math to triangulate their position, whatever....