Loading Mapsource Topo Maps On The Hard Drive

I've loaded and reloaded Mapsource Topo on the computer. The only option I get when running the install wizard is "Typical" where only the basic program is installed - the CD(s) have to be inserted to run every time I want detailed map info.

Can't I get the either (prefered) selected maps ....or..... (2nd choice) the entire Eastern US map loaded on my hard drive for quicker and handier use of the program?

Absolutely.

Install the Garmin software - then copy the map directories on the CD to a suitable directory on your hard drive. Then (assuming you're using Windows), use REGEDIT and look for the registry keys HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\Mapsource\Products

Within those keys, you'll see the location for the map directories (usually pointing to your CD device). You can change those to any directory you'd like - and Mapsource will look were you specify for the map files.

Works like a champ - and saves swapping CD's.

Good luck.

1. Create a directory on your hard drive to contain all the CDs, such as C:\GARMIN\TOPO. I use this because I have 4 different Garmin products all running on the same computer. Each product is in its own directory. C:\GARMIN\MGUSA, C:\GARMIN\EUROPE, etc.
  2. Inside C:\GARMIN\TOPO, create three directories called Disk 1, Disk 2, and Disk 3. The names are somewhat important because the installer will try to find these files by name. If you want to choose a different naming scheme, you may need to point the installer to each folder when it needs them or you may need to do the registry tweak when you are finished.
  3. Copy the first TOPOUSA disk to the C:\GARMIN\DOPO\Disk 1 folder. This would be the CD that has the file called SETUP.EXE on it. Include all the subdirectories on the CD. Here is a DOS command, assuming your CD drive is D: -- xcopy /e /s D:\*.* "C:\GARMIN\TOPO\Disk 1\".
  4. Do the same for disks 2 and 3.
  5. Run the copy of SETUP.EXE that exists in C:\GARMIN\TOPO\Disk 1. That should set everything up correctly so you don't have to do any registry tweaking.

Good Luck and Go Pokes! :unsure:

-E

When I did it I copied disk 1 to a folder of my choice then copied the other disks into the same folder then ran the setup.exe from there.

When I first started trying to copy mapsorce CDs to the hard drive thay woodent ever install right. I think the old mapsorce program coudnt handle it but the newest ones work real well.

Thanks for the ideas folks :huh:

I opted for Hartclimbs method as this allowed me to load the only most used CD (East maps) on to the hard drive and make a single registry key revison .

The West & Alaska/Hawaii maps (which I rarely use) are still available via the CD drive (and not taking up HD space).

Happy caching to all!

When I did it I copied disk 1 to a folder of my choice then copied the other disks into the same folder then ran the setup.exe from there.

When I first started trying to copy mapsorce CDs to the hard drive thay woodent ever install right. I think the old mapsorce program coudnt handle it but the newest ones work real well.

I do the same. I make a folder copy 1'st disc to it in whole. Copy 2 disk in whole. Then open folder look for setup install and click to let it install itself.

With National Geographic Topo Northeastern States you can load the setup first as usual then copy the other maps, to the data folder and your all set. With Garmin you have to do it the above way.

Jim

I loaded the cd to the folder as described and ran setup from the c drive,, everything worked till i went down to level 5 at some areas of the state, and then i got a blank screen, had to got to the map folder option and select each of the sub folders for each disk to get level 5 to show.

My Eastern folder is in the Western one. Try move the Eastern folder into Western.

It's been a while so I can't remember exactly,but try that or reinstall. This time before you start setup move Eastern and Alaska if you'd like and move them to the western folder. Don't have them seperate in the Garmin/Mapsource folder.