If It Ain't Broke...

Bloencustoms

What are some examples of quick fixes you have done to your caching equipment? How did you get that faulty power cable to work again, or hold your pack together when the zipper breaks? Some of the caches placed are very inventive. Let's see how cachers apply that creativity to getting their caching / outdoor equipment working again in the field.

<_<

Things of absolute neccesity to carry in the geocache backpack, or any other backpack for that matter.

-Duct tape, any color, but you must really carry this.

-electrical tape, for something that you will have to take the tape off again.

-Zipties, of many sizes and varieties, take some that have the screw eyes in them as they are really valuable for fixing things and holding them to something.

-Rope, always carry rope. I mean real good rope too, not polypropelyne rope.

-a real leatherman. Not a "cheap knock off, blades are already dull, screwdrivers will break when you use them, rusts in the case piece of crap"

-spare change, to use when repairing things or use in a pay phone when all else fails

-Ziplock bags, again use the real brand here as when you need them, you really need them.

-a small length of Marine grade electrical wire, about 14-16ga can be either single or double. Marine grade is tinned copper wire and will not corrode.

-stainless steel seizing wire, used by sailors and aircraft mechanics when they really do not want things to come apart again by accident.

-a really good quality folding/locking knife with a large blade. Now "thats a knife"

I have used all of these things to repair GPS units on friends boats. One memorable trip my friend lost the springs and connectors from the battery tray of his GPS12. I was able to fabricate a new set from items in my backpack in less than 10 minutes and we were able to once again navigate with the GPS. Which was a good thing because he neglected to tell us that he did not have real charts for the are of Desolation sound that we were in!

Have also used these items to Jerry Rig GPS mounts together for use on the boats. Most sailors are notoriously cheap so they tend not to invest in real mounts for their GPS units, so you always end up rigging something together but hopefully before you lose the GPS over the side!

yep, I've always got a decent length of parachute cord with me, there's just too many things it can fix.

I've also wrapped several feet of black electrical tape around my flashlight. It serves two purposes - one it shims the flashlight up a bit so it stays in it's pocket better and two it's always handy to have some electrical tape just in case. I probably should wrap duct tape around the rest of the light. ;-)

Last weekend I did a cache in an exceptionally muddy area (you absolutely cannot believe where this guy put the cache!). I realized about half way back from it that two decent sized Wal-mart baggies would have been really handy. I could have put them on over my shoes and then held them in place with the tape or parachute cord and then I wouldn't have had to spend all that time cleaning off my shoes!

Yeah, I know...doesn't really fit the "if it ain't broke" category, but it still would have been a good idea.

Bret

Edited by CYBret