Logging A Benchmark

Karl S.

I like to say that from the point of view of a licensed land surveyor I am impressed with the knowledge and enthusiasm of the members of this forum. I think it is great that there is such an interest in locating benchmarks. I have located a number of BM’s and tri stations in my area during the course of my work and a few just for fun. I have a question for benchmark hunters. I recently searched for a BM in my area and was unable to locate any surface evidence of the BM. I did however locate an old badly rusted 3” diameter iron pipe just below the ground at the intersection of the ties listed in the BM description. According to the NGS description, the BM is a pipe cap riveted to an iron pipe and it is unknown when the BM was set. It was recovered in 1935 and 1968. It's hard to determine that what I found was remnants of the BM or some other object such as a fence post. I went ahead and photographed the pipe and logged the coordinates and measured additional ties to the pipe. Now I intend to log this BM as “couldn’t find it” on the GC website. Should I include the photo and field findings when I log my visit? Is this information of any interest to benchmark hunters?

Edited by Karlsurveyor
Should I include the photo and field findings when I log my visit? Is this information of any interest to benchmark hunters?

Go for it. Until you start relating what you had for lunch, I don't know as you can put too much information.

I've read a few posts that suggests that some of the pros are aware of this site so they may use it for additional non-official information about a mark they may be looking for.

Welcome to geocaching Karlsurveyor, and benchmark hunting, of course.

When you log a benchmark here, feel free to add or describe any information you may feel is important to the mark. Many of the active participants like to use the NGS guidelines, or a variation of them, when describing their finds. Others just simply state 'Found it!'. How detailed (or lack of) you want to be is up to you.

One of the few things that most active hunters agree on is the posting of pictures with any log you may post, ('find', 'no find', a 'note', etc.), particularly with the marks you've found. A photo helps add validity to your find and proves that you were there. Images of evidence, or possible evidence you may find in your hunts is also helpful, as it helps others know what to look for in their hunts, or when looking for the mark you logged.

Karlsurveyor -

I think you're on the right track. It's hard to provide too much info. Although I generally don't include photos when I log a NOT FOUND, I will include a photo if there is something relevant - like a big hole where a disk/monument should be. In the case you described, a COULD NOT FIND plus a photo of the thing you did find would be very appropriate and much appreciated by any hunter doing a subsequent search (some hunters actually search for, with enthusiasm, marks that other hunters previously could not find).

Welcome to the society of people who's family and friends think they're, well, eccentric.

Well put...................... Eccentric.

My Family thinks I am OBSESSED'

O ften

B efore

S uccess

E ccentric

S elf-taught

S eekers

I ntelligently

O vercome

N irvana

Like has been stated there can never be too much DATA.

There are a few that I have that do not have photo's because of night,I don't have a night lense.

This gives me a reason and another cacher the oportunity to get a photo.

And this will be a double verifacation of a point.

I use the DATA that others have sent in on really Old ones that I would like to visit,and are a part of the History of it all.

I am glad to see Surveyors getting more involved!

We have several already that are more than glad to answer your ?

Welcome to My Obsession and Others Addiction.

Happy :wacko: ...................................................Geotrails <_<

Karlsurveyor -

We do enjoy puzzling over these 'almost finds' with the benchmarker who did the search. Please include the PID in the forum as a URL link to the GC database so we can read it too. As for pictures, imagine the next benchmarker taking on the challenge of that PID - they'd appreciate being able to start with a picture of any relevant-looking finding in the location as well as the details of your of local measurements.

I agree with logging this one as "couldn't find it'.

Welcome Karlsurveyor to Benchmarking! As for the lunch report....

Until you start relating what you had for lunch,
I have been know to report a good PLACE to buy lunch -- when I find a special one.... <_<

A recent pipe cap find of mine is:HB1790

A pipe cap in excelent shape: JC0574

Apparently there were various river surveys in the St. Louis, MO vicinity. We have many pipe caps listed -- but I have only found a few thus far.

Edited by happycycler
I have been know to report a good PLACE to buy lunch -- when I find a special one.... <_<

Well now you're making me re-think my advice! I got food poisoned last summer. If I had eaten there on benchmarking trip you're darn sure I would have mentioned it in the logs! The pulled pork sandwich was great - I think it was the small scoop of cole slaw that did me in.

OK, I am brand new at this, so I'll just have to jump in, I guess. I "sort of" found one today. I picked one that I thought would be pretty easy, since it was in a town, and had definite streets to locate it with.

I didn't find "it", but I found a wooden stake instead in the exact spot where the real marker should have been (I even used a tape measure to make sure).

After having read through a few of these threads, I think I should go back and log it in as a "Not found," but what do y'all think? The link is MH0304

James

I agree with posting a note for now. If it were me, I'd go back and try to find someone home. Explain what you are doing and ask permission to investigate further. I would probe the area and use a metal detector. If I then believed the mark were under the sod, I would carefully try to expose it for inspection (once again, assuming I had permission to do so).

If you get turned away by the owner, I'd keep the "note" status and explain what transpired. I'd only log a "not found" if I investigated as much as I wished to and still couldn't find the mark.