Gc.com Server Errors Today Trying To View Maps

caderoux

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Server was unable to process request. --> Unspecified error

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapException: Server was unable to process request. --> Unspecified error

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[soapException: Server was unable to process request. --> Unspecified error]

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall) +1496

System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters) +218

Geocaching.com.Groundspeak.mapper.Service1.getMap(Double mapCenterX, Double mapCenterY, Int64 scale, Int32 imageHeight, Int32 imageWidth, clsWayPoints wayPoints, clsMapFiles mapFiles) +234

Geocaching.UI.bmapper_getmap.GenerateMap() +2572

Geocaching.UI.bmapper_getmap.ProcessPageLoad() +492

Geocaching.UI.bmapper_getmap.Page_UserLoggedIn(Object sender, EventArgs e) +80

Geocaching.UI.WebformBase.IsLoggedIn() +1056

Geocaching.UI.bmapper_getmap.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +275

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +753

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Dear Minister of Sumo:

Your event cache page's problem is different than the problem that periodically crashes the GC.com maps. The tiny maps are fed to the cache page differently. Sometimes there is a hiccup and the page acquires a tiny map from a different part of the world.

To fix this, just edit the cache page (add a blank space somewhere if you don't have a real change to make). When the page re-generates, the correct thumbnail map should show up.

Dear Caffeinated Crusader, Minister to the House of Maxwell:

I am very, very sorry that by following my advice, you have lost your thumbnail map of the Netherlands, which previously appeared on the cache page for your event.

I forgot that the thumbnail maps were recently dropped from new cache pages. The advice I gave was accurate only for cache pages generated prior to this programming change.

Kudos to Geocaching.com for dropping those useless lil' maps! Not only were they redundant, they were so small and at such a scale that they could only be helpful if you were caching from orbit.

As for you comments about my caffeine addiction.....well...it's a step up from "Minister of Sumo."

Bret