Best Hiking Boots

ChileHead

I needed a new pair of sundowners, but the word on the street was since Red Wing (who now ownes Vasque) moved the manufacturing to China the quality was not near as good.

I bought some MX II sundownders which were still being made in Italy. They are made with a little thicker leather and come up higher than my old sundowners. They fit like a glove, but the leather collar squeaks even after a year. I love wearing them to work on snow days. Squeak Squeak Squeak.

I bought Merrels last year and have loved them. They're a trail shoe, since we harldy ever get more than 3 inches of snow when you'd be allowed on the street. (It's all or nothing...) My only problem came with wooden planked trails and bridges in very wet conditions. The part of the tread for trails is too hard and the grippy area is too soft. Feels like I'm skiing. Guess I need Aquatread on my shoes.

I have a new pair of Brownings with Gore-Tex and Thinsulate. I help my 15 y.o. son deliver papers at 6:00 A.M. and these boots keep my feet warm and dry through 12 inches of snow and single digit temperatures so far this winter. This is even without my wool ragg socks over my cotton socks!

PeachyPA, Punxsutawney, PA

I love my Lowa Renegades. A bit expensive, but by far the best boots I ever hiked in. I have used them beyond their life expectancy, but I still use them. The stitching is just now starting to fray after 4 years of high impact use.

I have used them in the mountains of Nevada and California, and the mucky, mushy swamps of Michigan.

Weather it is 95 degrees or 10, my feet are cool when they need to be and toasty warm when needed.

I needed a new pair of sundowners, but the word on the street was since Red Wing (who now ownes Vasque) moved the manufacturing to China the quality was not near as good.

I bought some MX II sundownders which were still being made in Italy.  They are made with a little thicker leather and come up higher than my old sundowners.  They fit like a glove, but the leather collar squeaks even after a year.  I love wearing them to work on snow days.  Squeak Squeak Squeak.

Word on the street is worth what you pay for it. WHile it is true there is a Vasgue Sundowner made in CHine, they still make the Italian version at a higher price of course, about $40.00 higher. The Italian model is very hard to find because most retaliers only stock the one made in China now. We tried to stock both models were I use to work, but american consumers being what they are only wanted the one made in China. The fit is the same and we naver had a problem with returns.

On another point, do not buy boots based on brand name, there is no boot made that will fit every one, each manufacture has their own last to build boots on. You just need to try on differant ones untill you find one the will fit "Your Foot".

I own several pairs of boots Vasque, La Sportiva, Tecnica etc. :blink:

Buy the way if your boot squeaks you might be able to get it replaced by Vasque, if the retailer will not help you try going to right to Vasque. :bad:

Edited by JohnnyVegas

On another point, do not buy boots based on brand name, there is no boot made that will fit every one, each manufacture has their own last to build boots on. You just need to try on differant ones untill you find one the will fit "Your Foot".

I own several pairs of boots Vasque, La Sportiva, Tecnica etc.  :blink:

So how do you tell what a good fit is with only a 5-10 minute trial??

I mean if it doesn't fit well, I can tell right away, but sometimes I've bought shoes only to find after a few hours of wearing them, I don't like them... even after they are broken in...

edit: grammer. :bad: I mean grammar! jeez! :bad:

Edited by Doc-Dean

The boots are a personal choice. To help you make that choice, shop REI. You can almost always find a great quality boot in their outlet section. The best part is that if they don't work out for you, they'll take them back and refund your money. I bought a great pair right from the store. I walked down a trail near my home and was in such pain I had to take them off and walk home in my socks. REI refunded my money without question. I later found a great pair of Vasque hiking boots that I have to this day.

Tip: Look for day hiking boots. Backpacking boots may be too heavy and stiff for the short hikes we take while geocaching.

Edited by Criminal

I second SKYDAN's opinion of the Lowa Renegade. Particularly if you need a low volume shoe. My feet are narrow, finding hiking boots that fit was very frustrating. This boot is super comfortable right out of the box. It's Gore-tex lining has kept us dry in puddles and snow, yet it breathes very well. This is a lightweight boot with great support that's perfect for geocaching, as most of us aren't carrying 45 pound packs. Use a pair of Smartwool socks with these boots and you'll be surprised at how the miles pass by.

One word on fitting. Do yourself a favor, go to a good outdoor store and have them fit you, whichever brand you choose. At our local store, the fitter worked with us for a good hour and a half. He measured, noted our walking patterns and pulled several brands for us to try. He even grinded the footbeds to a custom fit.

Spend a couple more bucks and support your local store. They are very knowledgeable, not only about equipment, but about your local neck of the woods...invaluable info that's hard to find elsewhere.

Merrell's seem to fit my wide foot the best. I have two pair. One I bought, the other I inherited from a friend who broke up with her boyfriend. He left behind his boots so she gave them to me. These are the lightweight nylon/leather type boots that work fine for summertime hiking, backpacking, and geocaching. My wife has a pair of Hi-Teks in the same genre. The kids hike in the heavier weight hiking type sneakers. They outgrow them so fast I can't keep up with brands.

When I lived in SoCal, I had a pair of all suede Asolo boots. They were lightweight and had very few seams (only at the heel) to come apart. They were perfect for deserts and the dry SoCal mountains. They held up really well against the sharp rocks. After years of abuse they finally gave out. They were my favorites and saw the most miles of any boot I ever had.

I have a pair of heavy leather Galibier Vercors boots gathering dust in the closet. They saw a lot of use in the Sierras and were re-soled once. They're waiting just in case I need to strap on some crampons sometime.

I own several pairs of boots Vasque, La Sportiva, Tecnica etc.  :blink:

So how do you tell what a good fit is with only a 5-10 minute trial??

I mean if it doesn't fit well, I can tell right away, but sometimes I've bought shoes only to find after a few hours of wearing them, I don't like them... even after they are broken in...

edit: grammer. :bad: I mean grammar! jeez! :bad:

You take them home and wear them around your house for several hours. There is no way you can be sure of the fit of a boot in 10 or 15 minutes, Ask the store what their return policy is before you buy them. Most stores will let you return boots if they have not been worn outside. GO to a specialty shop the sells upper end outdoor gear with a large selection to chose from, also do not buy boots in the morning go in the afternoon when you have been on your feet for a few hours. Next sox, DO NOT USE COTTON SOX. the cotton will absorb and maintain moisture, this can cause slipage of your foot in the boot and blisters. I use sox with at least 30% wool, some of mine are 100% Merino wool, those are the best.

Remember your boots are your most important equipment.

I used to really like Danner boots and hiking shoes.

Then along comes this uninvited guest, Plantar fasciitis. Now I wear Birki's all the time. The Birkenstock Hiking shoes are very comfortable, and waterproof.

I'm having a hard time picturing you in Birkis, leatherman. There's still hope for you. :bad:

Birki's with Acorn blue print polor fleece socks. LOL :blink:

I swear by my 6-year-old old Ecco Tracks. I swear at my new Ecco Tracks. Fortunately, I found a service that rebuilt my old boots, directly molding on a new Vibram sole. They did try to muck things up by replacing the comfortable insole with the new-style leather insert, but I replaced that.

The repair service is http://www.eccousartn.com/

The new Track are OK, and have that great flexible/sticky sole that I prefer, but they require specific sox and careful adjustment to get them just right.

Tip: Look for day hiking boots. Backpacking boots may be too heavy and stiff for the short hikes we take while geocaching.

True! Both pairs of Tracks are medium-high boots with extremely flexible uppers. They're just enough support to save you from a twisted ankle--perfect for day hiking. Stiff backpacking boots are great whe you're carrying a heavy pack, but murder when you're not.

[Edited to add URL]

Edited by Mule Ears

I was in a local used goods store when I spotted a virtually new pair of columbia copper river hiking boots. They were so unused the logo on the insole was like new.(It wore off after only a couple wearings by me.) Since they were only $12.99 CDN I thought I couldn't lose......

They've worked out great. There's alot of slippery rocks and roots around here but I've always felt secure with these boots. They've taken a while to break in but now that they are they're very comfortable. Nice and waterproof, too. I can't complain...... :blink:

Word on the street is worth what you pay for it. WHile it is true there is a Vasgue Sundowner made in CHine, they still make the Italian version at a higher price of course, about $40.00 higher. The Italian model is very hard to find because most retaliers only stock the one made in China now.

If you are refering to the Sundowner MX II then I agree. I don't see any advertisements for Sundowner II that list the country of origin.

The word on the street came from people I know who have had Chinese Sundowners so it is worth something to me.

I have a pair of these and they are great for support but still hurt my feet after a while so I would not recommend them. I bought them because I needed more support than I was getting from anything else and they provide that for my ankles.

I second what Criminal says about REI. My first pair of those boots were a half size too big and I went into the store just to confirm that they were too big by trying a smaller size and they fit better. I walked into the store with the (larger) boots after having them for a week and hiking trails and such but when I told the girl they fit better she asked if I wanted to switch.

I told her that I couldn't because I didn't have the box or the receipt and that I've walked outside in mud and dirt with them along with waterproofing them. She said that was ok and took them from me and I walked out of there with the new ones. I couldn't believe it, that was the best customer service I've ever received not to mention that they have the best warranty ever. Life time guarantee on anything they sell. You can't beat it.

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like I should stay away from the Chinese made Sundowners. I see them online for about $140 or so, and I assume the ones I see for $170 and up are the Italian ones.

I may look at the LLBean one, since they say it is Italian made, and I've never had a problem with LLBean products. Unforunately, I can't try them on first.

Since TiVoTim didn't specify if he was just knocking around suburbia caching or getting ready for a 3 day backpacking hike on the AT, I'll comment that if I'm just doing some urban caches that don't require a lot of steep terrain, I'll just wear sneakers. For getting back in the hills and woods and anything over a 1/4 mile walk, I wear Timberlands. $80 at Bass Pro Shop but got them on sale for $49.99. No complaints on the brand.

I got a pair (not just one like last year :blink: ) of Merrell boots this year for xmas. My last pair lasted two years. Pure greatness!

Edit - wrong smilie

I have a 15yo pair of Merrells. I must admit they're only good for cutting the grass now. I also use them as mudders for geocaching.

I love my Vasque hiking boots. I have worn them at least 3 times a week for the past 4 years and they still look new. The tread has a bit of wear, but I bet I can get another year or two out of them.

Sn :bad::bad: gans

As far as boot fit goes I am a non-traditionalist. I now buy most of my boots and shoes off the web. I know my size and I rarely send footware back. I walk more than most and my experience is that if the fit is close the footware will conform to my foot. Of course I live in the middle of no-where so just about anything that Wal-Mart does not carry is 100 miles away.

I have wide feet 10 1/2 EE.

Not too wide, but not a size that everyone makes. I tryed on some Aslo 510 boots (I think) that were really nice, but too narrow. They don't make a wide boot. The salesman brought out a 11 1/2? It was not as tight, but a poor compromise.

My footware for the last 15 years has been Vasque, Rockport or Asics.

Edited by solohiker
My Vasque Sundowners finally have worn out after 13 years, and I need to get new boots. I'm trying to decide if I should get the same boot again, or try something new.

What is your favorite boot for caching?

Mine are definitely the Italian boots...Zamberlain Trekker boots...all leather adn with Vibram Soles. I'm on my second pair in ten years. Now, I am a very avid hiker so I put the boots through a ton of use. my only complaint is that the soles are not stitched like the Danner Boots or some others. You can simply replace the soles when they get worned in that case. Mine are just about shot so I'll need to invest in a new pair this summer. But heck 5-6 years isn't bad given the heavy use. They cost me a shade over $200 dollars from REI.

I can wear these boots all day. I know a friend who wears them for his retail job....lot of standing so they lend good support for the feet.

Hi-Tecs here. I just tried on a bunch, found the most comfortable and bought them. Didn't know about what brands where supposed to be good until after purchase. Found out then that I had mad a good choice.

Just bought some winter hikers from Wal-Mart though. Not much of a winter person so I didn't want to spend much on them. Stone Dry brand $50.00 Comfortable too. <_<

I have Montrails with the goretex liner, I love them. They are comfy and fit my feet perfect, I didn't even have to break them, they just worked out great.

I don't like Columbia boots at all. I don't feel that they offer a whole lot of ankle support.

...however, I wouldn't recommend hiking in Skechers, but I haven't found any hiking shoe tread that has outlasted the tread of my skechers.

the only boots I own are dress boots (darn kids these days) but I'll tell you one thing my New Balance 805's are just about the greatest all terrain shoes ever made. They stick to rock faces like glue (had a great time at Enchanted Rock State Park outside of Austin, TX) and they are durable. As far as support well they are low tops so you more or less just have to be a little more careful then with boots but other then that they're great! <_<

Unless it's real wet outside, I wear my nike walking shoes. But when it is wet outside, I wear a pair of Danner boots that my mother in law gave me for Christmas several yrs. ago. Have had them about 10 yrs. now. Still keep my feet warm and dry. The arch supports finally wore out recently though. Don't know about other boots, but these boots I have with the wedge sole design rarely slip. This is the boot I have. They were $125 when I got mine. They've gone up right much!

Edited by The King Kachers

Some time ago I'd heard that you could make most nearly any hiking boot fit like a glove if you'd stand in water for 10-15 minutes then walk them dry. I didn't believe it.

However, one pair I had a few years ago felt fine, but they would always rub a row of blisters along the edge of my right foot after 2 or 3 days of hard use. I had nearly decided to just use them for short hikes until I got caught in a deluge on a day hike through a swampy area, and they got completely soaked.

Even though I didn't exactly "walk them dry," I did walk in them wet for a couple of miles, and they have fit perfectly ever since.

Since then, I've read someone else who suggests the same thing. You can bet I'll be walking my next pair dry shortly after buying them.

They stick to rock faces like glue (had a great time at Enchanted Rock State Park outside of Austin, TX)

I was there several months ago. What an awesome place to hike. Its the type of place you have to 'trust' your footwear otherwise you could die. My Asolo boots worked excellent. At times, I felt as if the boots were in control of the course.

Back in the last century, around 1989, I bought a pair of Red Wing work boots. Nothing fancy, leather with chem-resistant soles. Still wear them everyday, even back when I was sometimes taking 15 mile hikes, they were extremely comfortable. I've had one other pair of hiking boots since then that I bought when I was a paramedic, but they're goretex and have some type of oven liner in them that make my feet sweat really bad. Can't really stand to wear them, even in sub-zero weather, because they're so hot. So, I'm sticking with my Red Wing work boots......just hoping they last till I can get off my back and out walking again. <_<