Travel Bug Deadbeats

Bob&TheGang

Personally, I'm waiting for the reaction by someone holding travel bugs when they found out their account had been frozen. We've already seen how happy are to have their cache not approved. I couldn't wait to see their reaction to a frozen account.

I wondered how long it would be before someone said "The reason I haven't logged the TB in the cache is because I can't log the cache, and therefore drop off the TB, because my friggin account is frozen!".

Again, I say.....(Sorry for tooting my own horn)

bigred....

I feel your frustration about this....but, if you "freeze" a users account, they can't log the bug into another cache, they can't even look for a cache, they'll probably just get really P.O.'d and throw the dammed bug down the garbage disposal or, go trash the cache they got it from.

I agree, there has to be something with some teeth to it, but what?.......The only remedy we have right now is: Education, Communication, & Unification.

Edited by jbhooker3

Otoh, something really needs to be done, or Travel Bug tags just aren't going to be worth buying. I mean, if you spend $4 on a tag and then think up some neat idea and hook the tag to a neat item and turn it loose, and it goes to 2 caches and then disappears. What's the point? Who wants to keep doing that?

Otoh, something really needs to be done, or Travel Bug tags just aren't going to be worth buying. I mean, if you spend $4 on a tag and then think up some neat idea and hook the tag to a neat item and turn it loose, and it goes to 2 caches and then disappears. What's the point? Who wants to keep doing that?

Amen.

TB's are a fun thing for the kids to track. They are fun for me as well. Rare to find something that kids like that doesn't drive adults nuts. Groundspeak needs to protect its market share and product.

Perhaps a strike by the geocaching community? No travel bugs bought for the next month. Seeing a $4 per tag revenue stream drying up might make them see the problem more clearly and be more serious about it.

There seems to be a bug with the geocaching.com database that is reporting TBs to be in places from where they have clearly been removed. The kids were really disappointed yesterday when "Disappearing Spot" (http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?ID=10492) had disappeared from "The Crew's First" (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?wp=GC3795) even though the listing says it should be there. When we looked at the TB's history we found it had been removed, and recorded as having been removed, from that cache on 2nd March 2003 (and is now in the hands of a deadbeat who hasn't moved it on apparently, unless this glitch has prevented them from recording that fact). I have mailed support about it but only today so wouldn't expect a reply just yet - nevertheless this was frustrating for the kids especially.

Perhaps a strike by the geocaching community? No travel bugs bought for the next month. Seeing a $4 per tag revenue stream drying up might make them see the problem more clearly and be more serious about it.

And what could tptb do about it? A long history of dealing with people has taught me that just saying that something needs to be done will not get it done. Give them a reasonable solution and it will probably happen.

It seems to me that most of the travel bugs that disappear are taken by new cachers that lose interest in the sport. The second biggest problem is cachers who simply don't know what a travel bug is and what it's supposed to do, or unregistered cachers who can't log a bug even if they know what it is.

The only reasonable solution, and I don't know if it would work, I'm just guessing, would be to change the site so you have to have an account to view the caches. Part of the application for an account could be a paragraph covering each of the major "problem areas" with a place to check after reading it. But you don't want to make it too involved, or no one will sign up.

As naive as it may sound, I have a lot of faith in tptb at GC.com. I think that they do take the travel bug problem seriously and are trying to solve it, but there are also a lot of other things that people want them to do. What is the greatest priority?

RichardMoore

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease," but it's also the first one to be replaced.

There is a geocacher out there who is saving TB's. Mine is one of them. They have a collection. They started collecting them a few months ago and I think have at least 12 now. Each one they find, they keep. In their postings they also indicate they are going to hold on to them. I have emailed them but they refuse to reply. Such a disappointment!!!

There is a geocacher out there who is saving TB's. Mine is one of them. They have a collection. They started collecting them a few months ago and I think have at least 12 now. Each one they find, they keep. In their postings they also indicate they are going to hold on to them. I have emailed them but they refuse to reply. Such a disappointment!!!

I would forward this cacher's id to TPTB and have them deal with this user.

Really bugs me when a game that has a small set of really simple rules (find a travel bug, record your find, move it some where else) can't be played by people that we allow access to the Internet. If you can't handle a three rule game correctly, maybe you shouldn't be able to affect global communications :)

C'mon folks... I feel the frustration of languishing TB's myself sometimes, but really now! The travel bugs, as I see it, exist over a long period of time. If they languish for a while in a slow cachers hands, or in a distant cache, so be it. That is the game. If the worst happens, and it disappears, then so be it.... It only cost a couple of bucks. That is part of the game.

Point is, relax. Perhaps the expectations you place on your travel bug are too high... give the poor thing a break! Seems to me that giving a TB a mission with a schedule is just asking for disappointment. Enjoy the TB experience for what it is worth... Visit new places, meet new friends, have fun. Sometimes you run into an arse along the way, but such is life.

Now, please dont hassle me if I have your TB for a couple of weeks....I have something in mind... really

:D

Ian5281

Now, please dont hassle me if I have your TB for a couple of weeks....I have something in mind... really

See, the thing is, all the TB owners are asking for is to know where their bugs are and to know that they are still moving. Ifound one two weeks ago and still have it as the bug wants to go to Germany and I am doing one of the International Cache Exchanges, so I am holding the bug till I mail the box to Berlin. I let the owner know where their TB was and what the plan was.

If someone grabs a TB and just hold onto it with out communication then we all begin to wonder whether they should whoa back on the geocaching and bone up on the reading comprehension.

My bug story.

I have placed 4 bugs out into the world, one still is sitting in the cache I placed him in nearly 3 months ago, I expect him to move or atleast be picked up when the weather starts improving, 2 were picked up from the 2 different caches I placed them into by the same person who still has them. One for nealy 3 months the other for nearly 2 months. Finally the 4th bug has been moving along rather nicely for me.

I guess I can't complain. I emailed the guy holding my 2 bugs and he said he'll get to it. What else can I do? Not much really. I hope he is enjoying their company. Now I have 4 more tags from my original order and have ordered another 8. So in all I have 12 tags still left to activate. I know what I'm gonna do with them all. ALl are gonna be on the same theme. I just haven't really been too excited to sit down and activate all the tags. Does this make me a TB activator deadbeat? No! Like all the other people in the world I'm just lazy.

What I'm trying to say is most of the people who are being labled as deadbeats here are probably just lazy and really don't mean any malice. I think the best advice for all is to just relax. This is a sport we do in our leisure time. Lets all lighten up!

Peace!

I've been hanging on to a travel bug for a month now. The problem is that since the time I picked it up we've had extremely cold weather and 2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground. I really don't relish the idea digging through all that snow to find a cache box to put it in.

I'm not lazy. I'm not a travel bug assassin/pirate/hoarder. I'm just waiting for better weather to get here.

Is that a bad thing? Should I put it back into the cache I got it from? I really don't want to go digging for the cache in order to find it again.

I've been hanging on to a travel bug for a month now. The problem is that since the time I picked it up we've had extremely cold weather and 2 to 3 feet of snow on the ground. I really don't relish the idea digging through all that snow to find a cache box to put it in.

I'm not lazy. I'm not a travel bug assassin/pirate/hoarder. I'm just waiting for better weather to get here.

Is that a bad thing? Should I put it back into the cache I got it from? I really don't want to go digging for the cache in order to find it again.

Nothing wrong with that. Just email the bug's owner and let them know what's up. Communication goes a long way! :blink:

:lol: I have just been accused of being a bug hoarder. I have 16 TB's right now and hopefully I will have 30 or more by the time they go to a mountaintop cache. If I replace TB's with items in caches, then all should be well, right? I could just cycle them through a cache or two to show movement, but this seems like a cheesy ploy to get miles on your TB. I promise that I will put my TB collection in one large cache filled with lots of good stuff- no Geotrash.
:lol: I have just been accused of being a bug hoarder. I have 16 TB's right now and hopefully I will have 30 or more by the time they go to a mountaintop cache. If I replace TB's with items in caches, then all should be well, right? I could just cycle them through a cache or two to show movement, but this seems like a cheesy ploy to get miles on your TB. I promise that I will put my TB collection in one large cache filled with lots of good stuff- no Geotrash.

Hmmmm....sounds like you must be part of the "Cleanup Crew"....if so, there are a lot of TB owners that would like to get their hands on you......that is not cool what you are doing....just not cool......

As the owner of one of the bugs you're intending to drop off on this mountaintop cache, first of all I have to say it doesn't really bother me too much. Your intentions don't seem to be malicious, though they are a little odd. Considering you've not been at the game for too long it's a pretty big assumption that you've got travelbug movement down to a science.

On the other hand, since you did take my bug I'll have to assume that you also read the goal sheet I created for it (and probably also got one of the cool trading cards I created for it). So then you know that my bug's goal was to visit aquariums and not to sit on some mountain cache for who knows how long.

Having said that, why did you bother taking it in the first place? For those bugs that have no particular goals, I really don't see a problem with what you're dong. But in at least one instance you're going directly against the explicitly written goal for the bug. In that regard you're a tad out of line.

Bret

zygote2k:

Out of curiosity, how long do you think it will take for people to get all 30 bugs on that mountain moving again? Or to put it another way, how long do you expect the last bug in that cache to sit on the mountain until it finally moves again?

Are you doing this to make things more enjoyable for the bugs and their owners? If so, could you please explain how this benefits them?

Edited by bons

If we find a TB, read the log, and know we cannot meet the criteria requested, we usually leave it for somebody else. The last time this happened was late last year, and according to the logs, it's still there!

We see the TB criteria as another part of the Geocaching challenge - solving the puzzles, finding the caches, etc. It's pretty simple to find out ahead of time whether there are TB's in the cache we intend to visit, and it's not difficult to find out about a particular TB ahead of time, either. When we don't do that, and find one we don't know anything about, we read whatever is attached and try to follow the requested routes or places to visit.

We did move one with what seemed to be a summer theme, at least here in WI. We figured it didn't matter what cache under a foot of snow it sat in!

Gram & Gramps

Nothing wrong with that.  Just email the bug's owner and let them know what's up.  Communication goes a long way! :blink:

I dont think we should have to go and email the TB's owner every time we may be out of caching-commision for a couple weeks! If the $5 bug is that precious to you, keep it safe at home!

I cant help but think that if you race to the computer to see what your TB is doing every day, then your expectations are too high. Please lighten up on the people who take a travel bug from a cache who did not realize it had some demanding goals for it...They just wanted to have a relaxed, good time with it, not be under an obligation to hurridly do the bidding of the bug's owner's whim, or deliver constant updates if it's snowing a lot.

<gets off soapbox>

Well, I figure I'd hung on to the bug I mentioned in my earlier post for over a month so far. So, I took Sparky-Watts' advice and posted a note to the travel bug's log letting the owner (and watchers) know that I still have it and it's safe and sound (not lost). I don't plan on posting anymore notes 'til I actually place it, hopefully in the next several weeks (curse this snow!).

It seemed like the friendly thing to do.

Nothing wrong with that.  Just email the bug's owner and let them know what's up.  Communication goes a long way! :blink:

I dont think we should have to go and email the TB's owner every time we may be out of caching-commision for a couple weeks! If the $5 bug is that precious to you, keep it safe at home!

I cant help but think that if you race to the computer to see what your TB is doing every day, then your expectations are too high. Please lighten up on the people who take a travel bug from a cache who did not realize it had some demanding goals for it...They just wanted to have a relaxed, good time with it, not be under an obligation to hurridly do the bidding of the bug's owner's whim, or deliver constant updates if it's snowing a lot.

<gets off soapbox>

It's not a matter of me worrying where my bug is every day...it's a matter of courtesy to the bug's owner. Obviously, if you're taking bugs without any notion of what their goals are, then you don't have much courtesy. Sure, a lot of bugs don't have goals, but others do, they have very specific goals. Etiquette dictates that you follow those goals, your own discourteous mannerisms tend to override etiquette, and you get a bad name among your fellow cachers. I was merely suggesting that you email the owner if you have a bug and can't move it on within a reasonable amount of time, out of courtesy. Calm down, the TB cops aren't gonna come get you if you don't, but your fellow cachers will have a lower opinion of you.

I have just been accused of being a bug hoarder. I have 16 TB's right now and hopefully I will have 30 or more by the time they go to a mountaintop cache.

What I would accuse you of is less charitable, but I won't.

See, there's a similar cache out in my neck of the woods. It's not on a mountain top, but it's in a fairly large open space area that gets pretty hot in the summer. The cache is at the end of a 6 stage multi that requires at least 11 miles of hiking. As stated in the description, "the reward for all this? Travel Bugs! Take one and leane one!"

Well, it's been visited something like 4 times. The TBs in the cache have been there since last June when it was placed. The cache hider does not seem to give a crap and doesn't do much caching anymore.

Using TBs as a 'reward' for a really hard cache is not at all fair to the TB owners, and it won't have people scrambling to climb that mountain that otherwise wouldn't. There is other motivational swag you could use instead. For example, buy a patch off the Groundspeak site and sew it into a black watch cap. Take photo and post as FTF prize. Think along those lines...

I wouldn't suggest doing this unless you're fully prepared to go back up there and bring down stalled TBs from time to time. It might also be a little fairer if you sprang for an 8-pack of TB tags, made some yourself, and put them up there. It might also give you better idea of how it feels to have your neat little travel bugs just sit and rot.

As I have mentioned above, travel bug ettiquette should (IMHO) be:

1. Find a bug.

2. Log your find (in a reasonably prompt manner).

3. Try to move the bug in a manner that is consistent with the mission of the bug.

4. Log your move (again in a reasonably prompt manner).

5. If you need to hold the bug for a couple of weeks or more, email the owner or post a note outlining your plan regarding the delay.

A simple 5 step process that should keep everyone reasonably happy.

I'll agree with that.

It's that dang two week markwell that gets me wading through snow though. :lol:

(I have noticed that every time I planned to move a bug a reasonable distance something has gone seriously wrong with my plans. I have no idea why this is. I think it's the curse of the TBs.)

I would hope you'd reconsider your mountain-top plan. If the TBs leave your mountaintop one at a time, some of them will sit there forever which no TB owner likes to see. And, if the first cacher snags them all, then what's the point?

Also, I don't think it was the most polite thing to do snatching all 6 TBs at the Ash Grove TB hotel. Hotels are usually for 1 for 1 trading of TBs (although, admittedly, hotel rules are a whole 'nuther area of debate and the owner of this one has not posted any rule). But taking all 6 from a hotel seems excessive. At least one of those bugs was dropped there so it would be close to Dulles airport to catch a flight overseas.

The unpredictable nature of TBs is half the fun, so in that light you're free to do whatever you see fit with these bugs. Well, I hope you get to your goal soon and can get these bugs back in circulation. Good luck.

Not just mountains, but all isolated places...while originally "cool" to place a TB in, can be very frustrating to watch a TB languish in. Hawaii is a good case in point. So many travel bugs head to Hawaii on vacation (cool!) but then nobody brings them back, or if they do, they're probably lost in the luggage or not getting logged back out. What should be one of the "coolest" locations (Hawaii) becomes a travel bug grave yard. I think that's what will happen to the mountaintop bugs. You may think the idea's cool, but it will quickly become an annoying TB trap. (Hopefully someone will rescue all those TBs shortly after they're trapped!)

I like the idea of the person placing TBs at the top of a mountain being the one that sprung for them in the first place. Then, when the numbers dwindle, they can hike back to the top of the mountain again and replenish the cache. :lol:

Not just mountains, but all isolated places...while originally "cool" to place a TB in, can be very frustrating to watch a TB languish in. Hawaii is a good case in point. So many travel bugs head to Hawaii on vacation (cool!) but then nobody brings them back, or if they do, they're probably lost in the luggage or not getting logged back out. What should be one of the "coolest" locations (Hawaii) becomes a travel bug grave yard. I think that's what will happen to the mountaintop bugs. You may think the idea's cool, but it will quickly become an annoying TB trap. (Hopefully someone will rescue all those TBs shortly after they're trapped!)

I like the idea of the person placing TBs at the top of a mountain being the one that sprung for them in the first place. Then, when the numbers dwindle, they can hike back to the top of the mountain again and replenish the cache. :lol:

Could not have said it better..........RIGHT ON!

JayBee

I would hope you'd reconsider your mountain-top plan. If the TBs leave your mountaintop one at a time, some of them will sit there forever which no TB owner likes to see. And, if the first cacher snags them all, then what's the point?

Also, I don't think it was the most polite thing to do snatching all 6 TBs at the Ash Grove TB hotel. Hotels are usually for 1 for 1 trading of TBs (although, admittedly, hotel rules are a whole 'nuther area of debate and the owner of this one has not posted any rule). But taking all 6 from a hotel seems excessive. At least one of those bugs was dropped there so it would be close to Dulles airport to catch a flight overseas.

The unpredictable nature of TBs is half the fun, so in that light you're free to do whatever you see fit with these bugs. Well, I hope you get to your goal soon and can get these bugs back in circulation. Good luck.

You too.....I totally agree.

JayBee

I am about to send out my first three TBs. Now I know to not be surprised if I don't see much activity on them, or any activity on them. Then again, I don't think that it would hurt my feelings. :D Hopefully, my TBs will find happy, frequent cachers B) to send them on their way...

Also, I've gone to a cache with a TB listed and found out it was MIA, so I went through the paper log to make a note of which cacher retrieved it. After a few weeks, it still was not logged, so then I emailed the TB owner. It eventually got logged out.

Wish me luck on the TBs... B)

Tstar

I am about to send out my first three TBs.  Now I know to not be surprised if I don't see much activity on them, or any activity on them.  Then again, I don't think that it would hurt my feelings. :D  Hopefully, my TBs will find happy, frequent cachers  :D  to send them on their way...

Also, I've gone to a cache with a TB listed and found out it was MIA, so I went through the paper log to make a note of which cacher retrieved it.  After a few weeks, it still was not logged, so then I emailed the TB owner.  It eventually got logged out.

Wish me luck on the TBs... :huh:

Tstar

I said it before, and I'll say it again: "If you want your bug to survive, make it ugly....... :o:DB)B) "

Seriously though, you could take an old chunk of wood, and write something funny on it, and call it a Travel Bug. It would probably go round the world faster than you could imagine.

There are some interesting "theme bugs" and "personal interest bugs" out there, that are not prone to be grabbed up by Little Johhny or Little Suzie so quickly. It's really hard for Mom or Dad to say: "Comon now, we have to let this one go" Especially if the bug is some cuddly, soft, Teddy Bear, or Dinasour. B):lol:

JayBee is having fun tonight.........

EDIT: Tstar......Best of luck with those bugs

Edited by jbhooker3

I didn't mean I was taking all 30 TB's to the mountain top cache. After reading all the posts, I realized it is better to get the geocachers moving instead of the TB's. Some of the TB's I have collected are Geo-Trash. I won't be taking any of these anymore. I'm not keeping the TB's for personal gain either. Maybe some people shouldn't live vicariously through their TB. If you really want to be certain that your TB goes somewhere, then you should mail it to that destination. At least I am letting everybody know my intentions in regard to the TB's. I thought this was supposed to be a fun game to play- not a chess match. Pull the stick out and stay cool. :unsure:

I didn't mean I was taking all 30 TB's to the mountain top cache. After reading all the posts, I realized it is better to get the geocachers moving instead of the TB's. Some of the TB's I have collected are Geo-Trash. I won't be taking any of these anymore. I'm not keeping the TB's for personal gain either. Maybe some people shouldn't live vicariously through their TB. If you really want to be certain that your TB goes somewhere, then you should mail it to that destination. At least I am letting everybody know my intentions in regard to the TB's. I thought this was supposed to be a fun game to play- not a chess match. Pull the stick out and stay cool. :unsure:

I'm a bit confused here.....can you explain how you come to the conclusion that some of the TB's you have are Geotrash?

On the subject of travel bugs, I have quite a few thoughts and observations. Let me first say that my degree is in geography. What do geograhers do? They study spatial patterns.

The travel bugs create a interesting situation. The fact that it is people doing the moving, not the US Mail of FedEx with a boring and predictable route is what makes the TBs interesting to watch in the first place.

Human nature is filled with idiosyncracies and the way these bugs move (or don't move) is such a dead-on reflection of the unpredictability of life. If your TB takes a detour from your planned route or agenda, why not appreciate the unexpected and maybe even learn something new. It's called serendipity.

Some of the best things in life happen because people stop trying to control every little detail and things happen without interference. Look for the bigger picture, there really is one!

Hayseed 40 :unsure:

some people have no imagination and their taste is all in their mouth.

I hope that statement is not an answer to the question I just asked you....if it is, it is perhaps the most ignorant, idiotic statement I have heard in quite some time. I'm not calling you names, just stating what I think of the statement you made. Just because someone has different taste and a different imagination than you makes their TB Geotrash? Get real........ :unsure:

I'm not saying your TB's lack originality. After all, my previous statement is just my opinion. remember opinions are like ********, everyone has one. On the other hand, some of the TB's are trash items that lack originality and imagination. I figure if you spend $5 on a TB and give it some elaborate mission and goal, then you should put it onto an item that is actually worth something and not just a McDonalds' happy meal toy or some trinket that you found in your junk drawer. I see tons of Geotrash in many caches that had good quality items originally. It's nice to find things that are for kids, but when you spend a good amount of money and time geocaching, its sort of anti-climactic to find a box of crap under a log that has a McToy TB in it.

I'm not saying your TB's lack originality. After all, my previous statement is just my opinion. remember opinions are like ********, everyone has one. On the other hand, some of the TB's are trash items that lack originality and imagination. I figure if you spend $5 on a TB and give it some elaborate mission and goal, then you should put it onto an item that is actually worth something and not just a McDonalds' happy meal toy or some trinket that you found in your junk drawer. I see tons of Geotrash in many caches that had good quality items originally. It's nice to find things that are for kids, but when you spend a good amount of money and time geocaching, its sort of anti-climactic to find a box of crap under a log that has a McToy TB in it.

But you're still saying that TB's that aren't up to your standard of what is worthy are geotrash......it's not your call, dude.....I'm guessing from your previous statements that you have no idea what the creator of the TB was thinking when they launched those TBs....everyone of them was probably started by someone for a special reason, and it's not your job to tell them their TB is crap. I'd like to see some of your TB's, and see how they compare to what you are calling crap from other cachers...... :unsure:

My TB picture and release will also originate at the mountain top cache. It will not be deemed unworthy by anyone with good taste and spirit. And besides, if someone finds it and holds onto it forever- oh well. c'est la vie. Maybe it had found its' proper home with someone who appreciates it originality and uniqueness. Or- it just gets doomed to endlessly wander the world going from cache to cache to cache.... The point is that I will release all the TB's I find. It is not for you or anyone else to decide how or when I release them as long as it is done in a reasonable amount of time. I have only been doig this for 2 months and I have gotten so much flak from people because I picked up 16 Tb's in that short time.

It will not be deemed unworthy by anyone with good taste and spirit.

Once more, you are trying to impose your idea of what is good taste on the rest of the geocaching community. But, you obviously don't realise what it is I'm trying to say here.....I'd guess that having only done this for two months, you have no better idea what is good taste than I do....and I've only been doing this for 3 months.....so, until you are willing to share your idea and have it judged by the community, do not try to tell the rest of us that our TB's are crap because you have better taste than anyone else....arrogance won't win many friends here, and neither will hoarding TB's....and yes, you are hoarding them, regardless of your "intentions" until you fulfill those intentions and actually release them. So, don't tell me that what you consider to be good taste is what the rest of the community should consider to be good taste....who made you the voice of taste and imagination, anyway? Self elected, it would seem..... :unsure:

Don't put words into my mouth. I never specifically said that anyone's TB's were crap. Besides, that is my opinion. Maybe if I log the TB's into a cache and then re-find them, it will show mileage on the TB and I would be fulfilling the goal of using TB's, right? Didn't you say on your profile that you were the self elected president? :unsure:

You just keep digging deeper, don't you?

I never specifically said that anyone's TB's were crap.
Edited by Sparky-Watts