Travel Bug Deadbeats

Bob&TheGang

I released my first Travel bug this past August (2003).

One guy picked it up, held it for about a month, and then only moved it 7 miles.

Then another person picked it up in mid September, 2003, and has not moved it since. Its now late Dec., 2003.

I have emailed this person several times, but they go ignored. This person has some interesting stats. They have just 12 finds, but 23 hides. And have of those hides have been achived for one reason or another.

MY TB has a mission to from San Diego to Maine and back to San Diego, by August 4, 2004.

What should I do?

Does anyone want to know this Geocacher's name?

I admit it. I'm a travel bug deadbeat. It's not that I don't mean to move them on. It's just that it takes so much longer to find something that isn't a micro cache anymore. Cache trips to the outlying areas with larger containers are fewer and farther between. I've found most of them that don't have some cryptogrophers nightmare puzzle attached to them.

I admit it. I'm a travel bug deadbeat. It's not that I don't mean to move them on. It's just that it takes so much longer to find something that isn't a micro cache anymore. Cache trips to the outlying areas with larger containers are fewer and farther between.

I'm sort of with RK on this. I've been a deadbeat a couple of times, although I kept in contact with the bugs owner.

Several times I went out to place a bug, only to find that the cache was a micro. Sometimes I log the bug in and out of the micro, just so the owner knows that something is happening.

I'm also absentminded, and I've forgotten the bugs when I go to an event, or take a roadtrip.

I'm sorry. I won't do it again. ;)

Jamie

While we're on the subject, is it considered proper for the SAME Cacher to hit four or five different caches with the same bug?

Some people use a "personal travel bug" to keep track of every cache they visit. (Except for those cache types that won't allow a TB to be logged to them, like LCs and webcams.)

Some TBs have goals such as "to visit every cache in the state," and some cachers will hold onto that type of bug for a week or two, logging it in and back out of every cache they visited. Some folk also do that for "goal-less" TBs that they just happen to like.

There is nothing wrong with the practice, in my opinion, unless the TB owner has specifically requested on the TB's page NOT to do it.

... I have emailed this person several times, but they go ignored. ... MY TB has a mission to from San Diego to Maine and back to San Diego, by August 4, 2004.

What should I do?

You have acted correctly. TBs seem to have flurries of activity between periods of inactivity while the TB languishes in an infrequently visited cache or in someone's possession.

Just a few comments/examples about travel bug missions/goals:

None of the TBs that have passed through my hands with date-specific missions or goals had any chance of making them. For example, I recall one TB I picked up in NJ in late August, 2003. It had been released in New York State in April 2003 with a goal of arriving in Kentucky by early June 2003 ... I held it for a time while awaiting a response from its owner, and when none was received, I put it back in circulation. I believe it is was picked up two or three times after that, but has been languishing in a cache in western NJ for a few months now.

Another TB I picked up had a goal of visiting a list of ~20 states. I was the first person to pick it up, back in October 2001. That bug has been very fortunate ... so far, it has traveled something like 13,000 miles, but is still nowhere near close to achieving its goal, and has been in languishing in someone's hands since August 2003.

I released a TB in August of 2002 with a simple goal of returning to NJ from Maine, a straight-line distance of ~350 miles. Somehow, it has traveled ~1200 miles and managed to bypass NJ entirely. (And, like all the other bugs I've mentioned, it's been languishing somewhere for the past several months.) So much for goals ... but thanks for reminding me to send the person holding my bug a note!

It's a crap shoot all right. I just dropped off a TB in chicago whose mission included a trip to a bulls game. A cacher came by the next day and grabbed it, bound for seattle. hello! A TB of mine whose mission is to go to michigan got picked up and right off taken - to arizona. (I'm more calm about that one, it'll get there eventuallly).

As far as multiple visits go, this is often done by cachers who particularly like the TB and want to add special experiences to it's log. Or something.

One bug I moved which had a very specific info tag attached was headed to a particular destination out west. It got within a couple hundred miles of its goal, then this log:

"Picked up [the TB] from a nice cache in Austin, Texas. She was complaining about the non-stop humming of the bees who were living above her there. Plus, she's complaining about the heat -- says she wants to be further north."

And then a subsequent move 730.7 miles northeast.

No, people often don't pay attention to the goals, sad to say. The TB idea is wonderful, except it rarely works.

Jamie

It's a crap shoot all right.  I just dropped off a TB in chicago whose mission included a trip to a bulls game.  A cacher came by the next day and grabbed it, bound for seattle.  hello!

Did it have a goal tag?

Does it matter? Could it not see a Bulls game in Seattle? Last time I checked the Bulls were still playing the Sonics :blink:. Did the goal on the bug page specify that it wanted to attend a certain Bulls game in Chicago?

The reason I asked is if:

1) There was no goal tag.

2) The bug was dropped off within the past 24 hours

3) The next cacher was visiting Chicago

then:

It's extremely unlikely that the person knew the goal. And yet he'll still be badmouthed for daring to help a travel bug travel. It's those darn geocachers, moving travel bugs instead of letting them sit in the cache. The next thing you know, they'll be defacing log books with pencil marks.

Now, not all people who hold TB's are deadbeats. I picked one up yesterday, with the intention of moving it along today. Unfortunately, I took a rather serious mis-step off the porch and wound up in the ER with temporary paralysis this morning. Apparently, I've got a herniated disc in both my neck and upper back, so I won't be doing much of anything for quite some time. As for the TB I picked up, it had been sitting for a month in a not-so-frequently visited cache, and I thought I would be able to do it some good by grabbing it. So much for good intentions. Maybe there's a cache outside the surgical suite I could drop him in on my way to surgery. :blink:

Generally I have gotten bit by the real life bug.... I have great intentioins on getting out into the woods to drop off three bugs I have been holding for a while. The problem was that a home project came to light so I needed to start ripping the floor of my kitchen out and to replace it by Christmas. I was then hit hard by the flu. I had to stop working on the floor and I was down for almost a week. Then the rest of the family caught the flu and I was helping care for them. Then I finally got back to the floor but it was too late to have it done for christmas... OK so I would get it done for newyears... I tried but I got a cold and the rest of the famil now has a cold. The floor is close to being finished but I have to put it off till this weekend... thus killing another time that I was planning on getting into the woods to cache...

My point is that no matter how much I really want to get out to cache and to drop off bugs... it simply is impossible sometimes. So you can take your little deadbeat comments and go find yourself a real life... We are not all teanagers with no responsibliities to take care of. If I am holding someone's bug for too long that is just too bad - I will get it into another cache as soon as I can find some time to get out.

I realize that everyone would like to see their Travel Bugs live long happy lives traveling from cache to cache and complete their owners goals, but Travel Bugs are like children...we turn them loose in the world and whatever happens we just have to hope for the best. We cannot compel others to act. All anyone can do is encourage by example. Do unto other Travel Bugs as you would have others do unto yours. This may be full of clichés but they are true.

Okay then we all agree that a bug, like the flu travels

from place to place. And sometimes "hangs" out for

awhile......

I just started this Geocaching "thing", Having only logged

5 finds and one in-waiting.

I picked up a TB on my 3rd cache, I posted the find and am

currently awaiting a trip to Seattle to "drop it off". Where I know

it will have a much better chance to achieving it's goal.....Hawaii

But the cache page still shows a TB at the location?????

Whats up with that??? Is it supposed to still show the TB there? <_<

Well losing TB's is part of the deal and it's the main reason I'm done with them. I'll move a bug forward but I'm done putting them out there. I have had bugs disappear the day I put it in a cache and I have two bugs resting in the hands of inactive cachers. There is nothing you can do.

Giving out the cachers name here will only cause trouble. I've offered to pay the cachers holding my bugs so they could mail them back to me but I haven't gotten word back from them.

So, they've died. Part of the deal.

Still it was cheaper than the missing ammo boxes I've left out there.

Okay then we all agree that a bug, like the flu travels

from place to place. And sometimes "hangs" out for

awhile......

I just started this Geocaching "thing", Having only logged

5 finds and one in-waiting.

I picked up a TB on my 3rd cache, I posted the find and am

currently awaiting a trip to Seattle to "drop it off". Where I know

it will have a much better chance to achieving it's goal.....Hawaii

But the cache page still shows a TB at the location?????

Whats up with that??? Is it supposed to still show the TB there? :unsure:

hey stillookin I take it you were able to log the moonlight TB out of SemiSummit? I would shoot a quick e-mail to the TB owner just to make sure they know you might be holding it a little longer to make a high mileage trip closer to the TBs goal. Most owners are cool with that as long as they know whats going on.

hey stillookin I take it you were able to log the moonlight TB out of SemiSummit? I would shoot a quick e-mail to the TB owner just to make sure they know you might be holding it a little longer to make a high mileage trip closer to the TBs goal. Most owners are cool with that as long as they know whats going on.

I agree with this absolutely! I also have held TB's a little longer than I should. We all have good intentions. Now I usually just pick up a bug, write down the #, and put it in another cache the same day. Does not always move far, but gets it moving!

I am trying to track down a lost TB. Someone filled out a cache log book stateing that they had taken the bug and signed the book as "George Orwell". Is there any way I can determine if anyone is using the screen name Geroge Orwell, or if that is actually a Geocasher's actual name?

I released my first Travel bug this past August (2003).

One guy picked it up, held it for about a month, and then only moved it 7 miles.

Then another person picked it up in mid September, 2003, and has not moved it since. Its now late Dec., 2003.

I have emailed this person several times, but they go ignored. This person has some interesting stats. They have just 12 finds, but 23 hides. And have of those hides have been achived for one reason or another.

MY TB has a mission to from San Diego to Maine and back to San Diego, by August 4, 2004.

Bobkat, it does not surprise me that the person who has your bug isn't moving it. S/he placed a spate of somewhat inappropriate caches last year, and now seems to have given up the hobby. I fear the bug is a goner. These things do, alas, happen. We've given up on our travel bug two or three times now, but it always ends up back in circulation eventually... after being pirated out of a cache on its second hop, held for seven months another time, and now being held (for nearly three months) by someone who hasn't been caching since November. (Why he didn't leave it in the cache he did Nov. 30th, I don't know) . Having a bug get to any given place on an annual basis is a rather optimistic goal.. our bug wanted to go on a one-way trip from Wisconsin to SD and in 16 months still hasn't made it. And yes, we made up a nice goal tag. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do. In the future, I will be thrilled if any bug of mine circulates at all, much less gets anyhere near its goal. I wonder sometimes if goals get in the way -- I'd rather have the bug dropped off twenty miles in the wrong direction than held until June.

I am trying to track down a lost TB. Someone filled out a cache log book stateing that they had taken the bug and signed the book as "George Orwell". Is there any way I can determine if anyone is using the screen name Geroge Orwell, or if that is actually a Geocasher's actual name?

Go to Hide and Seek a Cache on the main page, then scroll down until you see the input for Caches found by user name. Then try George Orwell. Then if the person seems to be a cacher in your area you can email them.

I used this just the other day, but so far the person has not responded. I don't know why they would sign the paper log and even say that they took a TB but then not log either the cache or the bug on the website. It is annoying to all involved. I have to worry about my bug, and so far 2 cachers have gone there to get the bug and have been disappointed.

What is the usual/correct amount of time to hang onto a TB? I have had one for a couple of weeks but I am only hanging on to it waiting for a road trip to Lake Placid. I don't mean to delay it or hold it up, so what is an acceptable amount of time before releasing it?

Most people that talk about them in the forums suggest a couple of weeks, but extenuating circumstances may affect that. My opinion is that if you can't move it along in a few weeks, unless like your case where you have actual plans of where you want to move it, then you should find a local cache and drop it so that someone else that may be able to move it can do so. Just my opinion, though.

Sparky-Watts: My opinion is that if you can't move it along in a few weeks, unless like your case where you have actual plans of where you want to move it, then you should find a local cache and drop it so that someone else that may be able to move it can do so. Just my opinion, though.

Hey, I agree with your opinion Sparky-Watts.

Exat thing happened to me. Person picked it up, said they would take it with them "east" and a month later only moved it 20mi or so. The travel bug has a deadline to try to meet and it annoyed me to see such little progress. Hey, what can I say? I can't control TB movements!

"Around The World In 80 Days Tb"

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?ID=46963

colonelby

I have a bug of my son's out there thats goal was to go from NC to AZ and back. Got within spitting distance of AZ several times and each time someone took it hundreds of miles in the wrong direction. Son was 4 when it left, and is almost 7 now, so he may be in college when it's done :rolleyes:. It has documentation with it telling where it's headed.

I've noticed the culprits are often heavy duty TB loggers - people who move 5 or 10 TB's around at a time. Many do not bother to check on goals.

I find the TB 'hotel' caches of dubious value, too. I've had this TB languish in them several times, one of 10 or 15 in the cache, and so not as likely to be picked up and moved on.

When I head to a cache, I take a look at the webpage for it before going out, and read up on any TB's in it. If I think I can help, I'll pick one up. I try not to hold them for more than a week or two at most.

My daughter has one that's disappeared in South Africa, apparently in the hands of an inactive cacher. It was on its way around the world via Japan, and had gotten to the middle east, at which point someone took it to S. Africa for kicks. It languished there for a year before disappearing into this guy's clutches.

Which is why we haven't bothered sending any more out in the last couple of years, even though I've got a couple of tags which I could use.

Ah well, such is the dangerous life of a TB on the run...

OTR

I know how you feel, I have a few bugs that are in someones hands, one is not responsive and for some reason deleted their log from the TB but it is still in their hands, the cache they picked it up from said they picked it up. They don't answer emails along with a couple of others. Part of the game.

I have also sadly picked up bugs and held onto them, I think 3 months was the worst, but I also emailed the owner and dropped them off when I could. It is just sometimes I forget them at home, or brought with me to forget to place into the cache, the cache was to small, or the cache was one I would not drop my own TB at so I will not drop off someone elses. I have visited a TB hotel, which I don't like the concept of, and then the cache went missing with 2 bugs I placed there, I will feel guilty for that for a long time, I placed them there because of the take 1 leave 1 rule and I had them for almost a month. :huh: Now they are gone.

Which is why we haven't bothered sending any more out in the last couple of years, even though I've got a couple of tags which I could use.

Ah well, such is the dangerous life of a TB on the run...

OTR

I'm with you on that, OTR....

I'm having trouble enough keeping track of just 5 bugs.....I don't know how some owners can keep track of 50-100 at a time. Maybe there's safety in numbers....the percentage that get's lost or stolen is decreased. I really feel bad for the people who have only sent out 1 bug, and have it come up MIA on the first hop.

I have tried recently to only place bugs in "Members Only" caches....but, that doesn't always work either.....(See my "Members Only" Travel Bug).

Keep the cache side up.....

JayBee

How often are the "Members Only" caches in your area hit? Out here, they just don't seem to be visited at all.

Also, given the limited number of Members Only caches (under 500 worldwide not too long ago) I think expecting TBs restrict themselves to MO caches could seriously restrict movement.

How often are the "Members Only" caches in your area hit? Out here, they just don't seem to be visited at all.

Also, given the limited number of Members Only caches (under 500 worldwide not too long ago) I think expecting TBs restrict themselves to MO caches could seriously restrict movement.

Yeah, I know what you mean......Members Only caches are few and far to find.

As said in my previous post: " have tried recently to only place bugs in "Members Only" caches....but, that doesn't always work either....."

While we're on the subject, is it considered proper for the SAME Cacher to hit four or five different caches with the same bug?

Take a look at this one: http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?ID=18268

The same cacher PLACED and RETRIEVED the same bug from a dozen or so caches...wassupwidat?

I know some people log the same TB into multiple caches to get some miles on it. It shows SOME activity, at least.

I have several Travel Bugs out they are either not moving at all or going totally out of the path they requested. I would think that if you have a bug and have not been able to move it along one could at least let the owner know, or if you have recieved e-mails, answer them. I doubt I will put anymore travel bugs out it has not worked out like I had hoped it would. :blink:

Hmmm......my very first find (and I have not been doing this long) had a TB. I did not take it because I did not know if or when I could relocate it. I have since been pretty active for a new member in the middle of a Maine winter. Maybe people have good intentions that fall through........?

Another kind of deadbeat I hate is the Cacher who monitors for TB's in caches they made, then picks up the TB to move at his or her discretion. This has happened to me several times and I find irritating and annoying and rude. You drive 300 miles to stay in an area and get to know it and do some caching. Only to discover that the incentive to visit a few caches is gone. I tend to visit ones with TB's when I would have visited a cache in a historical locale first. I do enjoy the history and beauty of many cache locations, but, TB's are an incentive to me too.. I admit I am new to this, and still learning, but, I find this a most irritating habit. One person on the East side of Alabama has a very bad habit of doing this, and I keep up with the logs of these sites. I see this is happening to others too. It's irritating! There aren't alot of TB's in my native area and I would like to offer them as an incentive.

Am I wrong?

Starrione

Another kind of deadbeat I hate is the Cacher who monitors for TB's in caches they made, then picks up the TB to move at his or her discretion. This has happened to me several times and I find irritating and annoying and rude. You drive 300 miles to stay in an area and get to know it and do some caching. Only to discover that the incentive to visit a few caches is gone. I tend to visit ones with TB's when I would have visited a cache in a historical locale first. I do enjoy the history and beauty of many cache locations, but, TB's are an incentive to me too.. I admit I am new to this, and still learning, but, I find this a most irritating habit. One person on the East side of Alabama has a very bad habit of doing this, and I keep up with the logs of these sites. I see this is happening to others too. It's irritating! There aren't alot of TB's in my native area and I would like to offer them as an incentive.

Am I wrong?

Starrione

I personally don't see anything wrong with this. If that cacher can move a bug along (which is what bugs generally are supposed to do) then that is good. It's no different if you drove 300 miles to get a bug and someone else drove 300 miles from the other direction and got there first. It's a game of timing and location. Do you think other cachers should be mad at you if you showed up at a cache and grabbed a bug they drove 300 miles to get?

Just enjoy the drive, enjoy the hunt, and enjoy the cache. That's really what the game is about, right? ;)

Am I wrong?

Starrione

I personally don't see anything wrong with this. If that cacher can move a bug along (which is what bugs generally are supposed to do) then that is good. It's no different if you drove 300 miles to get a bug and someone else drove 300 miles from the other direction and got there first. It's a game of timing and location. Do you think other cachers should be mad at you if you showed up at a cache and grabbed a bug they drove 300 miles to get?

Just enjoy the drive, enjoy the hunt, and enjoy the cache. That's really what the game is about, right? ;)

I don't think you understand what I am talking about. The Cache Owner is taking the TB's out whenever one shows up. Not driving there to get it, I am talking about the owner of a cache monitoring it for the TB's alone instead of letting the next visitor pick it up. Of course I wouldn't be mad if someone drove there and got it before me, it happens all the time.

Starrione

I've taken travel bugs that were put in my caches, and I see nothing wrong with it at all. I have also revisited another persons cache just to grab a travel bug.

I always put them in another cache that is still in the general area. It lets the TB move and it also lets me do some fun things with the travel bugs.

Just this past week I took The X-ray Man's Medicine Markers out of one of my caches and took it to our xray department for photos and the owner really enjoyed it.

On the TB that I grabbed on a revisit, it was a scarecrow that came to Kansas looking for a brain. I took photos of him getting a brain implant in our surgery room and recovery room at the hospital. The owner loved it.

So, the bottom line is that the whole travel bug thing should be for the owners enjoyment of seeing what is happening to their travl bug, and who cares if you have to grab the bug out of your own cache or revisit a cache to get it. The owner paid the bucks for the TB, so if I think the owner would like what I do with the bug, I'll do it.

if I think the owner would like what I do with the bug, I'll do it.

absolutely. A train-themed TB came through here last fall and people (me too) were all over it, taking it to old train stations, etc. One cacher took it to at least 5 different caches that were train related before releasing it again, all with pictures. *that* is really what TB's are about. I have one right now that wants to go to the zoo. Sadly, I don't wanna go - so i'll do my best to get it out within the week.

The travel bug idea has either got to get dumped or get serious. The problem could be fixed by requiring all cachers to log their travel bug finds through GC (as normal) and then either move it to some other cache, or communicate with the owner via GC every 14 days. Failing to do so gets a reminder email from GC and failing to respond in 7 days, gets your account frozen. No logs, no forum posts, no search for new caches.

I have a bug that wants to go to Germany, I am working on an international cache swap with a cacher in Germany. I have held onto this bug so I can send it with the cache swap. I have let the owner know this and received permission. A simple two line email is all that it took. Even on my old Linux-powered PC, its not much effort.

Time for us to stop tolerating a holes like bug thiefs, cache pirates, and other goobers that can't seem to understand that any game has rules and to play the game, you have to play according to the rules.

The travel bug idea has either got to get dumped or get serious.  The problem could be fixed by requiring all cachers to log their travel bug finds through GC (as normal) and then either move it to some other cache, or communicate with the owner via GC every 14 days.  Failing to do so gets a reminder email from GC and failing to respond in 7 days, gets your account frozen.  No logs, no forum posts, no search for new caches. 

bigred....

I feel your frustration about this....but, if you "freeze" a users account, they can't log the bug into another cache, they can't even look for a cache, they'll probably just get really P.O.'d and throw the dammed bug down the garbage disposal or, go trash the cache they got it from.

I agree, there has to be something with some teeth to it, but what?.......The only remedy we have right now is: Education, Communication, & Unification.

Edited by jbhooker3