2000 Steps

gnbrotz

I'm going back to Thousand Steps again. This time it will be to accompany my son on his 100th cache hunt.

<PROUD Father>

When I started taking him with me, I never expected him to actually give me competetion! We don't cache as "fast" as many others, but I'm proud of him, and I know he's excited about making it this far. In his attempt to be just like dad, he wants to go there for his 100th (that's where I went).

</PROUD Father>

I know the day itself will be a big adventure (for both of us), but I'm wondering: How have you celebrated caching milestones with your caching kids?

I have done that walk up 1000 steps twice now! Once to find the cache and once to see where the rest of that trail went.

Now...who has done Brush Mountain twice? I did it once on my own (while wearing shorts mind you) and once with Enfanta, Ce'Nedra and a cantelope!. I think braving that cache with those two that day earned me some kind of prize this year. I never knew women ever heard those words before let alone say them! :blink:

I'm actually planning to "guide" up Brush Mountain again this Spring to either work with some collegues on mapping rattlesnake dens or to tag along when some other local cachers may attempt it...maybe both!

Gotta love those challenging hikes!

Good luck to you and your son gnbrotz! Maybe I will join you if Ce'Nedra can't make it up this weekend. I just got a really cool, collapsing walking stick for Christmas and it needs broken in!

Salvelinus

Edited by Salvelinus

I'm actually planning to "guide" up Brush Mountain again this Spring....to tag along when some other local cachers may attempt it...

Is that an offer? I might just take you up on it.

Maybe I will join you if Ce'Nedra can't make it up this weekend.    I just got a really cool, collapsing walking stick for Christmas and it needs broken in!

Give me a shout if you this will be happening. We can make arrangement to meet if you'd like.

StormShadow, if you're still watching this thread and are coming (too?) drop me a line. My direct e-mail address is in my profile

I'm not sure how a group hike to the top will go, unless everyone is willing to travel at a child's pace. I have no illusions about setting a speed record this time up. It's all about doing what it takes for my son to have a success, and to have fun doing it. If that means rest stops every 50 steps, so be it.

Of course there will be plenty of water, and granola bars too!

*edited to remove duplicate quote

Edited by gnbrotz

Quite honestly, I don't know what to expect on Saturday. I wanted to go out today since state employees were let out early today but my wife suggested wiating until Saturday to go out. I guess I'm going to interpret that as a tacit approval of my caching that day and an offer by her to watch Mr. Pie. I certainly don't think I'm in good enough shape to lug his 35 pounds on my back up the 1000 steps. I don't want to change your plans on my account. If you see a cacher with a bamboo hiking stick getting out of a car with a GPS sticker on the back, you'll know who I am. Good luck and maybe we'll see you. <_<

I'm planning on leaving home about 7:30 am. It should take me about 1.5 hours to get there, so around 9:00 is a good time to shoot for.

As I said before, I won't be setting any speed records, so even if I know for sure someone else is coming I plan to start up even if you haven't arrived yet. I'm assuming you'll easily catch us on the way up.