Aviation Caches

mlw1139

Would Geocachers be willing to fly to remote locations where there are no roads or trails? Would buildings with painted roofs, and corn mazes be worth flying out over?

There is a place where the trees are planted and it reads "will you marry me?", but you can only read it from the air. from the ground it is just an orchard, looks the same as others.

Edited by mlw1139

There is a nature preserve in tennessee where elephants roam free.

it is a real sight to see a ahlf a dozen elephants grazing by the lake.

people on the ground there would disturb the elephants, and the acreage is large, a single foot search could take all day.

there is a Jurrassic Park style fence to keep people out, so by air is the only way, plus light aircraft dont disturb the elephants.

There is a nature preserve in tennessee where elephants roam free.

it is a real sight to see a ahlf a dozen elephants grazing by the lake.

people on the ground there would disturb the elephants, and the acreage is large, a single foot search could take all day.

there is a Jurrassic Park style fence to keep people out, so by air is the only way, plus light aircraft dont disturb the elephants.

So, I'm guessing you are considering a virtual cache of the elephants?

I attempted to place a vitrual cache with information on the location, but the geocache aproval guys had problems with it:

said that it was "outside the box"

the thinking is that if it is too hard to get there and no one tries, then it just takes up server space.

and that since no one could get there using conventional means, it would sit in his nearest caches menu and annoy him.

Are any other geocachers aviators? ultralights, baloons, airplanes, helicopters. of the 640,000 us pilots, are any others Geocachers?

I will be passing this thread onto a friend of mine that is just getting interested in geocaching!! He own an ultralight and was thinking the very same thing :blink: Personally, I would be disappointed (kinda like a little kid throwing a fit LOL) that there would be caches that some people (people with aircraft) would be able to get to that I wouldn't :mad: ... but.. then again.. How about members only caches??;)... so... when I look at it that way then I guess I'd say .... GO FOR IT:) You might just start a fad of aerial caches:)

I attempted to place a vitrual cache with information on the location, but the geocache aproval guys had problems with it:

the thinking is that if it is too hard to get there and no one tries, then it just takes up server space.

and that since no one could get there using conventional means, it would sit in his nearest caches menu and annoy him.

Are any other geocachers aviators? ultralights, baloons, airplanes, helicopters. of the 640,000 us pilots, are any others Geocachers?

OLD thread, but FYI, MLW1139's idea did end up resulting in this cache, which is still unfound, except by the owner.

Are any other geocachers aviators?  ultralights, baloons, airplanes, helicopters.  of the 640,000 us pilots, are any others Geocachers?

I know of approximately a dozen, but one of them is Canadian. :laughing:

I think Spunkeyflyer is still caching in Nevada.

When Ace & Flybaby come to an event they ask where the nearest airport is. They are the only ones I know in Oregon. They have a few caches hidden outside the fences of airports.

Of course you could place the cache using aircraft that would be accessible by foot if someone is willing to hike in several days (a week maybe). Up in the cascades, near some mountain lake that would be extremely hard to get to by foot, making an aircraft approach almost mandatory.

Well... Nunavut can only be accessed by plane, so any caches in that territory could be said to be only accessible by plane. :laughing:

I do know of several caches in slightly less remote areas of Canada that are described as being accessible only by plane (seaplane). Usually caches hidden by people on hunting/fishing trips.

For example : GCY7JK

There is now a road a few km away according to the satellite pictures but, knowing the area, a 2km bushwack would be really though.

Of course, one could argue that any cache on land can be reached by hiking/climbing (though it could take weeks or months to get to some places). Just like any cache marked as accessible by boat could be done by swimming... in theory... if you are crazy enough :laughing:

Wow ... then what about GCG822 and the like? Or any other not found?

We have had two aircraft, a Piper Cherokee 140 and a Piper Archer that we have flown to many islands here in the Puget Sound Area. We also made 5 trips to visit our son in Alaska. While he make a living as a Captain on a 747-400 he has a Super Cub and can have floats, tundra tires or skiis on it. Ideal plane for what you are suggesting. I am now 84 and could no longer past the physical. Many of the Puget Sound airports on islands and remote locations can also be accessable via car or boat. Just takes a lot longer. And many of those do have caches in walking distance from the airport. Dick