Strange Themes

Will+Bill

Toothbrushes. First, ew -- I wouldn't stick something that came out of a cache in my mouth. Second, the cache in question was permanently cemented under a rotten stump, such that it couldn't be upended to empty it when it got full of water and bugs. Again, ew.

My favorite themed caches have been for glow-in-the-dark items, zebras, frogs and aliens (Parsa's "First Contact," now sadly archived, required you to decode a message similar to the Arecibo message to find the location of the cache).

Sometimes themes are just things we aren't interested in (patriotic swag, bookmarks) but mostly themed caches are more fun than regular ones, I think. If I know the theme ahead of time, I'll try to dig around for something that fits. Themes also seem to discourage junk, making the cache itself more fun to look through at the end of the hunt. No great loss when the theme is something we personally aren't into; I TN/leave frog most of the time anyway, and while it's hard NOT to leave a frog, I won't if it's against a strictly themed cache.

Sometimes themes are just things we aren't interested in (patriotic swag, bookmarks) but mostly themed caches are more fun than regular ones, I think.
Themes aren't always about the stuff in the cache. The cache page, the redirectors, the camouflage, the log book, the FTF prize - all can be tied in to the theme to create an experience. Hopefully a memorable one.

I like themed caches but I haven't seen any I would call bizarre. Some that come to mind are Halloween, Christmas, colors one red- one green and my own, a military themed cache( toy vehicles etc.). I like seeing some of strange items people trade that are still related to the theme.

The theme of this cache has resulted in some amusing photos. Check out the gallery.

Jamie

I must say, I'm not liking this one. After taking a few university-level Sociology credits, my eyes have really been opened to exactly how subtle racism can be. Even well intentioned people (which I’ll assume describes the owner of this cache) can have what are essentially racist thoughts and behaviors. What does this have to do with the topic? I suppose nothing. I just wanted to share my opinion about this cache.

The theme of this cache has resulted in some amusing photos. Check out the gallery.

Jamie

I must say, I'm not liking this one. After taking a few university-level Sociology credits, my eyes have really been opened to exactly how subtle racism can be. Even well intentioned people (which I’ll assume describes the owner of this cache) can have what are essentially racist thoughts and behaviors. What does this have to do with the topic? I suppose nothing. I just wanted to share my opinion about this cache.

And when you check out the profile, be sure to look at the Home Page as well. Sorry, no racism issues here, this is what the hider wanted to portray.

Did you see the profile for the owner(s) of the cache?  :blink:

Jamie

Actually, yes. But I assumed that the picture on the profile page was all just part of the 'joke.' It is certainly possible that the picture shows the real team, but it is obviously not possible that the cache they created was done so in complete seriousness. I think it's sad that the overall nature of this cache is inviting anyone who logs it to use ridiculous stereotypes and, well, racism in their posts. I know that this seems like an overreaction to some, but in my opinion, this is one cache that we (okay, I) could do without. I’m not saying that it’s the worst crime ever committed against humanity, or anything, I just think that there are some social issues that are too legitimate to be treated so insensitively, and something like this showing up as a theme for a geocache is simply unnecessary.

I'm sorry ghOzt but the only person being racist here is you. You're the only one making a link between skin color and bling. You're the only one thinking that subculture = race. Grab some old p-funk and let freedom seep into your mind.

--------------

I like the coin cache. I may have to cook one of those up sometime. I'm thinking somewhere within view of the local branch of the Federal Reserve...

I'm sorry ghOzt but the only person being racist here is you. You're the only one making a link between skin color and bling. You're the only one thinking that subculture = race.

No offense to you personally, bons, but as I mentioned in my first post, the racism here is subtle. I guess it logically follows that some people just inherently won’t see it. Even though it is an important issue to me personally, I won’t take the time to explain it. This thread has been brought off-topic enough by my posts, and I’m probably the cause of it beginning to fizzle, so I’m finished with the matter.

But hey, at least this post brings the topic back to the top of the list! So…how ‘bout them strange themes???

Edited by ghOzt

Allllrighty then. Lets get back on topic (before the little horsey shows-up). I am not sure if this is a true theme cache but I did this one yesterday and it is by far the best one yet. Salute To Batman Yes it is in a cave (or mine) and the place is big enough to drive a semi truck thru and it seems to go on forever. I took a stalagtite (spelling) and left an arrowhead.