First To A Cache

Batman1984

• Did they know you were caching?
  • Were you cloose to the cache area?
  • Did you speakup?
  • Maybe they thought you were muggles

:unsure:

If you answered any of the 3 ?'s with a yes then I feel it was rude and bad form.

Then again if they thought you were muggles they took a chance on exposing someones cache to the element of Cache Missing In Action. Again bad form. :D

We were the ones who found the cache before Batman. I would like to explain our actions.

1) We did know that they were caching and they knew we were also.

2) We were on a vey limited time schedule (we live 3 states away) and did not have time to wait for someone to poke around until they finally found it.

3) While looking for it both parties agreed to let the other know if they found the cache first.

4) They were looking way off the mark (at least 200 yards away).

5) It looked like Batman's wife was miserable and wanted to quit.

6) They sat at the bottom of the hill directly below us while we opened the cache so rehiding it would have been fruitless.

Therefore, since it was mutally agreed that we would let each other know if the cache was found and they for all intents and purposes watched us open the cache I think that we were justified in our actions.

Comments??

I was not 200 yards away!!! I was the one that was 20 feet away. Your partner said I was right on the mark. I was not miserable till we were knocked out of the find. You never asked me If I wanted to go ahead and find the cache. You never asked my 8 year old daughter if she wanted to find the cache. Just know next time you need to ask all parties.

We were the ones who found the cache before Batman.  I would like to explain our actions.

1)  We did know that they were caching and they knew we were also.

2)  We were on a vey limited time schedule (we live 3 states away) and did not have time to wait for someone to poke around until they finally found it.

3)  While looking for it both parties agreed to let the other know if they found the cache first.

4)  They were looking way off the mark (at least 200 yards away).

5)  It looked like Batman's wife was miserable and wanted to quit.

6)  They sat at the bottom of the hill directly below us while we opened the cache so rehiding it would have been fruitless.

Therefore, since it was mutally agreed that we would let each other know if the cache was found and they for all intents and purposes watched us open the cache I think that we were justified in our actions.

Comments??

Your point about being in a hurrry changes nothing about the situation.

Point 5 changes nothing either.

Next time ask if they want to find it or just join in when it's found. I've found that different groups have different styles. I would of been perfectly happy with what you did. Other groups sneak the cache back in place and walk away before saying "found it!"

Edited by Renegade Knight
We were the ones who found the cache before Batman.  I would like to explain our actions.

1)  We did know that they were caching and they knew we were also.

2)  We were on a vey limited time schedule (we live 3 states away) and did not have time to wait for someone to poke around until they finally found it.

3)  While looking for it both parties agreed to let the other know if they found the cache first.

4)  They were looking way off the mark (at least 200 yards away).

5)  It looked like Batman's wife was miserable and wanted to quit.

6)  They sat at the bottom of the hill directly below us while we opened the cache so rehiding it would have been fruitless.

Comments??

You know, your post completely changed the way I looked at this thread. Before I read your post, the benefit of doubt was leaning in your direction.

It sounds to me like the one team was rather passive and the other quite, perhaps overly, aggressive.

#1 reads like it was at best an uneasy meeting.

#2 is not a legitimate issue. The manner in which it is written speaks volumes about your team's attitude.

#3 indicates that the more aggressive party did not want to participate in the search with the passive party.

#4 serves only to denigrate the other party.

#5 is merely speculation ... perhaps she was disturbed by what she perceived as your team's arrogance/aggressiveness.

Yes, I know. I wasn't there. I don't know what actually transpired. But I sure don't like what I read in this thread.

Edited by BassoonPilot

I'm not going to get in a flame war. When we met in the park we were pleased to finally meet people that were also geocaching (our first such instance), and I thought everything was well.

I hate that it has erupted to us exchanging these messages in a newsgroup forum. I hope my next encounter does not follow form.

I'm not sorry we found it first. I'm not sorry for anything we did that day. Is that aggressive, maybe. But we did find it first and to the victors go the spoils.

You do things your way and I'll do them mine.

You asked for comments, Ham_Bone. Apparently they are not what you had hoped for.

I see you posted your response while, in the interest of fairness, I was editing a sentence in my previous post. Your response to participants' comments suggests that the correction was unnecessary.

Edited by BassoonPilot

Stupid me!!

Here I always felt that meeting a cacher in the woods would be a happy event.

I think we need to show a little bit of common sense and try to get over this. I know I am realitivly new at this but it is only a game even as a first to find.

It was a find and you get to log it . Is a cache worth a flame war? Is a cache and my attitude worth turning my family away from the enjoyment of the game? Is finding it first worth the bitterness that someone else may be turning against me?

:unsure:

Just a thought here Batman1984 and I am not taking sides go back and read your profile and remember why you are out ther. Pay attention to Bio. and Hobby.

It is your game play it like you want! :D

Edited by cachengrab

I'm sorry. I'll walk right up and introduce myself. (I know, I've already done it while the cacher was signing the log book. Like I was going to pretend I didn't see him from 200' away across a clear area under the only tree around?)

I'm willing to cache with you. I'm willing to see which of us get's lucky first. And if I choose to cache alone, I have the option of waiting, looking at the clouds, and relaxing.

But if you want to force one of the two parties to go back and wait in the car till the first one is done, then start looking for your car keys. In disc golf and in regular golf, the polite thing to do is let someone else play through if you don't want to play with them. From reading the above descriptions of the two groups, the first group should have let the second group "play through".

Instead of keeping the flame war going and getting into "He said She said", chalk this up to a learning experience.

The first time I met a cacher while searching, we both made the effort to ask the other about joining up, alerting the other if found, etc.

It's makes life a whole lot easier if you take just a minute to exchange this information. You'll all be happier.

In my case, we agreed to walk away from the cache if it was found and then the other party know we found it without actaully removing it. This gave all parties the chance to find it (including my 5 year old daughter).

So again, forget about who was right and wrong - you'll never agree. Take what you can from this and make the next encounter a positive. Most of the people who play this game/enjoy this sport will be happy to find a mutually agreeable way to find the cache.

Enjoy.

Could someone point out the flame war to me? I haven't seen one materialize in this thread.

After reading the last few posts, I will offer a comment or two more.

If you care to check my profile, you will see I have listed every cacher I've met along the trails. A few of them I've run into several times on the way to/from caches. Every time I've met another cacher on the trail, it has been a pleasurable experience. If we both happened to be on our way to the cache, the search always turned into a cooperative effort. Not a scintilla of competition to see who would find it first; just a "let's find this thing" attitude. Lots of exchange of good geocaching tales of both successful and unsuccessful hunts, and of favorite and least favorite caches.

On three occasions other cachers approached as I was signing the log or preparing to go rehide the cache. (Whenever possible, I take the cache a good distance from ground zero before opening it.) I offered them the option of signing then or, if that would be a disappointment, waiting a few minutes for me to rehide it.

Two elected to sign on the spot, one elected to take a short walk while I rehid it. Everyone was apparently happy and had a good time.

Edited by BassoonPilot
This thread makes me glad that I generally just pretend that I'm not caching and wait until the coast is clear. My life certainly would be easier if I never met the first cacher I met on the trail.

That event is definitely not common. After caching in Sacramento and Los Angeles for over two years, I can still say I haven't met a cacher I didn't like.

When I see someone near a cache site looking around suspiciously, I hold up the eTrex and say, Looking for something? Then it's a team effort. Remember, it's supposed to be fun!

I would like to think we can play a little nicer then this.

Also, to me it would depend on how far I have walked to locate the cache.

We have left parks that where drive by's when we have seen others cacheing but we have also jumped into the mix after hiking in a couple miles.

Being in a hurry to grab caches doesn't count in our book. Go to the next one on your list and if you ever head back that way, you will know the parking spot.

And how do you know the wife was wanting to quit? Maybe she looks like that all the time. ( Reds comment, not mine. Flame her.)

All in all, I think the attitude of how the other cachers are behaving should dictate how you approach them about joining in. Heck, a lot of times sitting back and watching people scurring around like a covey of Quail is a kick in the pants.

And when in doubt, back off and wait your turn unless asked to join in. First come first served.

And a side note, ask them if they have the new updated page that just came out this morning with the right numbers on it. :unsure:

That should clear you some space. :D

logscaler and Red.

Hi, I am the other "aggressive" cacher who was with Hambone that day. First I would like to say I only remember 5 people being there, so those five people are the opinions really matter in this case.

Batman1984, I would like to bring up points of interest that Hambone didnot.

#1 when we agreed to "Yell if you find it" Hambone and I both thought this meant that you would come and look at it with us. This is why we did not rehide it. We actually thought it was weird that you stood at the bottom of the hill.

#2. If you felt this way why didn't you ask us? We stayed and chatted for a few minutes after we were finished logging.

#3. Mrs Batman- the reason we thought you didn't look at all pleased with caching is because while you had the GPS you stood in one position. You let your compass point to the cache the whole time but did not follow it. You also let your husband and daughter go off into a different direction. People are different and have different reactions, but you looked completely frustrated with the entire situation.

Like I said I really don't care about opinion on the matter but the five of us who were there. Altho this may sound "aggressive", its just that I thought this was suppose to be a fun thing, not one where you can't be yourself. Batman1984, at any point during our time at the cache did you feel threatened? Why then would you give us your call name??

In my opinion you were wrong ham bone. You should have let the first cachers there find the cache. It's just not polite to jump in front, even if the other party is having trouble finding the cache. If i run across other cachers, i give them plenty of room, and even walk away for a while. I may even go to another cache, then come back.

Hi, I am the other "aggressive" cacher who was with Hambone that day. First I would like to say I only remember 5 people being there, so those five people are the opinions really matter in this case.

If the only opinions that matter are those of the cachers that were there why not handle this via e-mail or a personal message?

By posting here you are engaging others in conversation and asking for others to join in - thus the term 'public forums.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to egg you on. Just pointing out the obvious....

The bottom line is that a mis-communication occurred (both parties can take some of the blame). Don't let this:

A) Sour either of your opinions on meeting other cachers, OR

:unsure: Make you loose any sleep.

Maybe you two will run into each other again and it will be better. Maybe you're just two people who will not get along. Happens in the real world, happens here too... Not the end of the world.

Keep on caching and realize the minimal importance of what occurred here.

So are you telling us that when your partner Ham-bone SOLICITED comments from forum participants, he was really just trying to intimidate people into shutting up? No; that can't be right ...

It's true that only the five of you were at the scene, but judging by the tone and attitudes of the posts of the individuals who were "at the scene," I conclude that one team has painted a rather unflattering self-portrait.

Altho this may sound "aggressive", its just that I thought this was suppose to be a fun thing, not one where you can't be yourself.

Well, from the attitude of your team's posts, it comes across that your idea of "a fun thing" and "being yourself" might just include throwing anybody who got between you and a cache into the mud. I am certain that is not the case, and that the situation was an unfortunate misunderstanding, and that you are two very nice people who it would be a joy to cache with.

Good luck to both teams and much success in your caching. May your paths never again cross.

Edited by BassoonPilot

;) Well all I have to say is... we went out today and found 4 caches... had a ball!!!! Found them all and I hope that we can put all this behind us....

It is a learning experience for all of us.... first... that you guys are a big help when we have any questions... and always try to let all parties know what is happening... and that means ALL involved!!!!

Like I said... it has really impressed me to see everyone that wants to help out with us newbies! Thanks so much!

Batman1984 :blink:

We met one of our best friends and mentors while caching! :blink: We were aware of his existence prior to actually meeting up with him, which was quite by chance. It's kind of hard to miss the look of someone seeking a cache. :mad: We didn't have to ask why the other was there, and as long as someone found it, that was OK. Let your mantra be:

It's just a game

I do this for fun

It's not a contest

To be the first one

There will always be others!

I just wish I could teach that to some of the cachers around here! ;)

I have yet to meet another cacher on a hunt. When I do I hope they are willing to join up.

When 2 or more groups of cachers meet on the way to a cache they are ALL the same distance from the cache. At that point there is no group that was 'getting there first'.

If one group doesn't want to join the other group then they should be the ones to wait until the other group is gone. If they get so close as to see where it is hidden that is their own fault. If you decide to hunt at the same time as another group then do just that and when it is found go over and join in on the trading and sign the log. If everyone wants to find it alone then work something out.

If you want to cache alone do so, just don't expect others to wait while you are doing so, remember you are the one that doesn't want to join them. I would see you as the one who is arrogant if you asked me to wait.

So I have a question. When I meet up with another cacher that asks me to wait while they go find it after I suggest we join up is it too much to point at them while I am laughing at them or should I stick to just laughing at them?

I guess what I am saying is, No they shouldn't have waited, you should have.

If they wanted to find it alone then they could have waited for you. Apparently they didn't. I assume they caught up to you so they would have gotten there first anyways as they were traveling faster then you.

Can't believe someone would be ripped off by meeting other cachers. Batman family, Please work on communication skills (i wouldn't address all of a group if even one is 200yrds away). Realize that we geocache for FUN :-) Next time try to handle your problems in private before making such pointing accusations in a public place.

if your over this and want to move on then delete the thread. :-)

Clements Cacher

;)

So what do you do? Yell "FORE" and play through?

This is silly.......it is only a game, you know for fun, not a "game" like major league baseball or hockey for millions of dollars.....also

#2 Asked if they could go ahead and find it first(maybe they were on a high number run)

What's up with the numbers game? Since when do number of finds mean that it is ok to rush ahead or ruin other peoples fun.

I mean this for both parties as I was not there and do not want to get into this arguement, but it does bring up a good point.

I agree with Cacherunner, and I sincerely hope to meet more cachers on the trail!

I'm not sorry we found it first. I'm not sorry for anything we did that day. Is that aggressive, maybe. But we did find it first and to the victors go the spoils.

You do things your way and I'll do them mine.

Nice attitude. I'm glad most cachers aren't like this.