Whats With So Not So Many Pictures

TimSkells

Funny, I was just thinking about this today.

I've set a new goal for myself. At least one picture per hunt ratio.

I had been looking through some logs, and noticed on some caches with close to 100 logs, there might be less than five or six pictures. Of course some of the event caches have hundreds of pictures, but for standard caches, pictures are quite rare.

I'd like to encourage folks to take more pictures. I know, not everyone has a camera, but I bet most of you do. You don't need a digital. They only make it more convenient. Pictures are cool. I'm going to post more pictures. Everyone should post more pictures.

Let's utilize the cache gallery feature. Pictures, pictures, pictures!

Jamie

I've stopped uploading pictures since the site software changed to resize them automatically. They look so lousy after the resizing that I am embarrassed for people to see them.

I'm playing around to figure out how I can get the site to avoid the resizing; when I figure that out, I'll start again.

Spoken like a true cacher from the Silicon Valley area!

Good to "see" you Fizzy.

I've stopped uploading pictures since the site software changed to resize them automatically.

Actually Fizzy, from the standpoint of a layman (which I know you are not) the site software has not changed at all.

In the olden days, we could upload pictures up to 100k. They were not resized. Now we can upload images of any size to make it easier for those who don't want to mess with reducing their images.

But for the people who still abide by the 100k limit (Which is actually 125k now!) your image is not resized, just like it always (never) was.

I still manipulate my own images to make them fit under the limit, just like I have always done, and my images are still not resized by the site.

Jamie

...I'd like to encourage folks to take more pictures. I know, not everyone has a camera, but I bet most of you do. You don't need a digital. They only make it more convenient. Pictures are cool. I'm going to post more pictures. Everyone should post more pictures.

Let's utilize the cache gallery feature. Pictures, pictures, pictures!...

I'll 2nd that! :D:unsure:

I'm starting to post more pictures. The resizing hasn't had a noticeable or disturbing adverse affect. I'm very careful not to post any photos of the cache location or anything that would be a significant spoiler. I just like to show some scenery or something special about the area.

I notice that some people post photos of their children. I've been reluctant to do this. Am I being overprotective? Does anyone have any thoughts on posting photos of your kids?

...Does anyone have any thoughts on posting photos of your kids?

I have an issue with this and find it strange that so many cachers flood the logs with photos of their children. To many wierdos out there for me to post a want add featuring my child and some coords. :D

I don't leave my kids at the coords when I'm done logging the cache but it sounds like you do :unsure:

...Does anyone have any thoughts on posting photos of your kids?

I have an issue with this and find it strange that so many cachers flood the logs with photos of their children. To many wierdos out there for me to post a want add featuring my child and some coords. :D

I don't leave my kids at the coords when I'm done logging the cache but it sounds like you do :unsure:

Doh! See what happens you you take the guidelines to literally.

I've stopped uploading pictures since the site software changed to resize them automatically.  They look so lousy after the resizing that I am embarrassed for people to see them.

I'm playing around to figure out how I can get the site to avoid the resizing; when I figure that out, I'll start again.

I was curious about this conclusion, so I did a little test, I uploaded a Large (1.18MB) picture to a cache of mine, and let Groundspeak do the resizing, here are the results:

107436_9300.jpg

Then I resized the same picture myself (and used a bit of compression), and uploaded that to the same cache, here are the results;

107436_9500.jpg

I do like the one I resized myself, but the fact that they are different means you still have the OPTION of resizing the image yourself, to the less than 100K size, and get the same results you used to get before Groundspeak started auto-resizing.

So post more pictures! Please

Edited to save Team GPSaxophone the inconvenience of scrolling right :unsure:

Edited by martmann
I actually prefer the first picture. It fits on my screen without having to scroll to the right (at 1024x768 resolution). If I wanted a higher resolution picture, I would email you for it.

Yup I could've resized it smaller, but this was just a quick test. I'm using an LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1280 x 1024, so it slipped my mind.

Edited for sp

Edited by martmann

I was thinking the same thing about that! But I do remember one cache where someone did. :D

"Left a whiny 4y old, a house fly and a lizard. Took praying hands and the cut off doll arm"

I have a couple of photos with my kids in them and my Dad has a number of them with them. I don't use their names and figure there's much easier ways to find out information about them than from pictures on gc.com.

On topic, I don't post many photos because I figure it's a waste of bandwidth on the gc.com computers.

Some might not post pictures in fear of creating a spoiler, which some owners (like myslef) would get very angry over. I would consider deleting the entire log and emailing the person who made the log and tell them to repost. I would then move my cache or arcive it. I don't, and don't recommend, taking any pictures of the cache or hiding place, but a picture of the view or of the cachers away from the cache are ok.

Reason #1 Left camera in truck waaaaayyyyy down at the bottom of the hill

Reason #2 Thought about pictures after walking all the way down the hill to the truck.

Reason #3 Just got a digital camer, but used to have to wait till the roll was finished then remember which picture went with which cache and anyway it was to much trouble to log back into the cache page.

EDIT : There is no e in bottom.

EDIT : There is an a in camera.

Edited by rusty_tlc
I notice that some people post photos of their children. I've been reluctant to do this. Am I being overprotective? Does anyone have any thoughts on posting photos of your kids?

Most of the posted pictures of my kids are taken from behind. Wifey is more leery of the caching population than I am. Newspapers are always posting pictures of my kids (NOT arrest photos!). I would think that those pictures would expose them to more local cretins than this site does.

-WR

I am a big believer in geocaching pictures and uploading some of them to gc. For me, the photos add to my geocaching experience. I use Photoshop to edit the photos to be less than 100kb--they are usually resized to 600x480 pixels.

While I understand that some people don't like spoiner photos. I still think that it is very impolite for a cache owner to just go an delete someones photos. Please email the person and ask that they delete the offending photos.

Ciao

RooBoy

I notice that some people post photos of their children.  I've been reluctant to do this.  Am I being overprotective? Does anyone have any thoughts on posting photos of your kids?

Most of the posted pictures of my kids are taken from behind. Wifey is more leery of the caching population than I am. Newspapers are always posting pictures of my kids (NOT arrest photos!). I would think that those pictures would expose them to more local cretins than this site does.

-WR

That is a very good point. I never thought of the "picture in the newspaper" aspect, which is usually accompanied by a name, school, team, etc. Geocaching.com is considerably safer than a picture in the newspaper.

I have an issue with this and find it strange that so many cachers flood the logs with photos of their children. To many wierdos out there for me to post a want add featuring my child and some coords. ;)

I am missing something here? How in the world does taking a picture of your child and posting it to this site create any type of unusual risk of harm??

Put this into perspective: I have seen hundreds (no, probably thousands) of children on nationally televised commericals and in magazines with circulation in the millions. Is anyone aware if lots of those children have been accosted by wierdos? I doubt it. And that type of exposure is probably several million times (or perhaps several hundred million times) the exposure of a couple of photographs on geocaching.com.

If a reputable national advertising company were to offer your child $100,000 to star in a series of MacDonald's TV commercials, am I right to presume, that for their safety you would very quickly and firmly say no??

Some of my favorite photographs that I have posted to Geocaching.com are of my children and nephews and neices - and I cherish going back and looking at them. I have no concern whatsoever of creating any risk of harm.

Now back to the topic - I have always taken a fair number of pictures, but after the introduction of the personal "gallery" feature (which I love), I am trying to remember to take pictures at every cache.

As a benchmarker, I always take photos to identify the mark and the location. If I don't have a photo I don't log it. I usually take photos of caches (I like to remember how they are hidden and the containers), but since I would consider them spoiler photos, I don't post them. My only cache photos uploaded have been for virts or for maintenence issues on someone's cache container.

What types of photos would cache owners like to see in their cache galleries?

I like to take scenery shots looking away from the cache, so there's no chance of providing a spoiler. Here in Southern AZ we've got an abundance of scenery ;) I crop the pictures tightly and resize to 400 or 600 pixels wide, then apply JPEG compression of 20-25. Usually results in a 30 to 60kB file that looks pretty good. Inexpensive software like Paint Shop Pro ( www.jasc.com ) does a decent job on this sort of thing.

I miss seeing more pictures too. When I scan at other peoples notes I always look for the ones with pictures. I was given a T-Moble sidekick for Christmas and my dad got a GPS. What a combo, I can look up web and take pictures right at the sight and email them live to my mom and brother at home. Also I started a album with all of the scribbles from the trip and all of the picks. It sounds like a lot of work but I try to keep it with the minim amount of work. I just I hope I can keep it up because it sure is fun.

The Higgy’s

I thought I saw somewhere that you could only upload pics from a website, not your desktop. No website here. :blink:

Nope you can upload them from your desktop directly to geocaching.com. It is actually very easy and they now can automatically resize the image for you so it isn't to large.

The next time you are finished creating a log entry click the "Upload Image" link and you will be in good shape.

I thought I saw somewhere that you could only upload pics from a website, not your desktop. No website here.  :blink:

Nope you can upload them from your desktop directly to geocaching.com. It is actually very easy and they now can automatically resize the image for you so it isn't to large.

The next time you are finished creating a log entry click the "Upload Image" link and you will be in good shape.

Cool! Thanks!