Has Any Oen Ever Done Anythign With Floppy Disc

TimSkells

I know from a multi stage event cache. One stage was a box containing a floppy disk with instructions on how to find the next stage. But: the magnetic disk was removed and replaced by some paper. One hat to open the shutter and turn the disk to read the text written on the paper inside the disk.

I like that idea! You could make one and call it "Flopping around" and place it near a fishing hole.. :o

I've thought about putting coords to another cache on a disc, just to see who has laptops with them, and who would bother going back home to their PC to get the coords and actually come back for the other cache.

Closest thing I've done is putting a tracking device in a Budweiser pin and leaving it in a cache. :o

My laptop has a DVD-Rom, I don't usually bring the floppy drive with me.

I've thought about putting coords to another cache on a disc, just to see who has laptops with them, and who would bother going back home to their PC to get the coords and actually come back for the other cache.

Closest thing I've done is putting a tracking device in a Budweiser pin and leaving it in a cache. :P

Put the coordinates/clues on 5.25" floppies; that'll slow them down a little. :o

This cache is in morse code on a cd. A laptop helps or you have to take one of the disk home, decode it for the rest of the hunt and then replace the disk back.

I downloaded a morse code decryption program to my laptop just encase something like this came along. To bad the county road crew had came along and tightened the guardrail and pinched the case and we could not recover a disk.

I had thought about the floppy thing but install a map with directions and cords on it for the rest of the cache.

logscaler.

Wow, theres a blast from the past. Wish I still had my Tandy 1000 EX.

I am a computer programmer. When learning something new (or just bored) I will often write small computer games. Simple stuff mostly, trying to recreate the great games I played as a kid. I couldn't wait to put all these little creations on a disk to use as a trade item. Thought better of it latter. For me to do this I would have to, my inner-geek demands it, chastize anyone and everyone who actually took and used my disk for being an idiot. So I would be saying "Thanks for checking out my games, now NEVER do that again. Bad cacher, no biscuit!" To much of a security issue and I finally decided most people are weary enough not to trust their PC to a disk they found in a cache. So now I only trade stale pastry, knives, ammunition and erasers.

Wow, theres a blast from the past. Wish I still had my Tandy 1000 EX.

I am a computer programmer. When learning something new (or just bored) I will often write small computer games. Simple stuff mostly, trying to recreate the great games I played as a kid. I couldn't wait to put all these little creations on a disk to use as a trade item. Thought better of it latter. For me to do this I would have to, my inner-geek demands it, chastize anyone and everyone who actually took and used my disk for being an idiot. So I would be saying "Thanks for checking out my games, now NEVER do that again. Bad cacher, no biscuit!" To much of a security issue and I finally decided most people are weary enough not to trust their PC to a disk they found in a cache. So now I only trade stale pastry, knives, ammunition and erasers.

Though I run anti-virus software, I still wouldn't put a disc I found in a cache into my computer. I would be just as wary of the electronic information as I would the dirt and grime level.

Though I run anti-virus software, I still wouldn't put a disc I found in a cache into my computer.  I would be just as wary of the electronic information as I would the dirt and grime level.

What Sparkey said. If I got grime in my floppy drive how could I re-install DOS?

You could just re-write it from scratch...

Isn't DOS about 15 lines of code anyway???!! :unsure:

I've wanted to do a multi where the first box has a bunch of floppies and CD's and some cassettes. One would pop it in the radio in the car and the theme from Mission Impossible would play, fade and then I'd be giving instructions for the next stage and so on. I haven't figured out the self distruct thing yet.

I have several designs/prototypes for caches using floppydisks/ more advanced light pole tricks and numerous other tricks up my sleaves. I have a room full of cache containers and severak USGS quads each with dozens of possible cache locations marked on them. I just need to get my cache find numbers up before I place to many more caches. If anybody in the Tucson Arizona area is looking for a great hiding spot in or near the Ironwood Forest NM give me an email. But back on topic I am reading all these posts getting more ideas. I don't like the idea actually having the data saved on a disk, because that can mean anouther trip out (I don't drive yet so I must bum a ride with my non-caching parents). They do make good hidng places. Be on the lookout for my next cache (it will be a multi uncluding every little trick I think of that will work far out in the desert).

Though I run anti-virus software, I still wouldn't put a disc I found in a cache into my computer.  I would be just as wary of the electronic information as I would the dirt and grime level.

What Sparkey said. If I got grime in my floppy drive how could I re-install DOS?

You could just re-write it from scratch...

Isn't DOS about 15 lines of code anyway???!! ;)

As I recall ver 3.11 filled about a half dozen floppy disk's.

sparky - What's DOS?  -

Thats an easy one Disk Operating System, the very early versions were on a couple of disk's that had to be loaded as part of booting the PC.

POP quiz : What is NOS? The correct answer wins a portable CPM machine. :blink:

An old timer I work with, Pops McFloppy has spun some pretty interesting tales about the old days. Calculators the size of the Empire State Building, transistors that got so hot it took a team of 36 water bucket carrying peasants to keep it cool, monitors the size of a cell phone that where monochrome and cost thousands of dollars (not because they where small but because they where big!). I could go on all day but I usually fall asleep after about 8 seconds of this "up hill both ways" crap. If I wanted to relive the old days I'd go build a Unix box. ;)

Although I have never seen one of the above shown devices, I believe (based on Pops McFloppy's stories) that it was used to cut write protect slots in floppy disks.

POP quiz : What is NOS? The correct answer wins a portable CPM machine. :mad:

Network Operating System!

Were should I send the CPM machine? BTW that is FOB Reno, frieght shouldn't come to more than $500 or $600, ground, local carrier, in the lower 48. ;):blink:

"It's un-reliabe and hard to use, but at least it's slow."

;)

Floppy disks? You can get information on floppy disks? I just upgraded to one of these (now check out the celebrity in the ad) and it uses this thing to record the data.

How you you fold up a floppy disk to fit in it? I searched this entire site and could not find the answer...... :blink:

How about using an etch a sketch instead?

Edited by Capitalpete
POP quiz : What is NOS? The correct answer wins a portable CPM machine. ;)

Network Operating System!

Were should I send the CPM machine? BTW that is FOB Reno, frieght shouldn't come to more than $500 or $600, ground, local carrier, in the lower 48. :blink::mad:

"It's un-reliabe and hard to use, but at least it's slow."

Got a picture of it??