Dogs

TimSkells

My dog found me a cache just today, but that was because there were favorable dog smells there, not because of training. At first we just kept him off the leash, but then one time he ran off, although he came back (when we were looking for him we found a nice easy route to the cache, and later went back and found it). Now he just comes on a leash, which can be a bit of a hassle when we're in lots of brush. And he is always covered in burrs.

Here is how my dog Molly finds a cache: Yank on the leash to the point where Carleen is about to be thrown off a cliff or at least break an ankle. When Carleen gives in and takes the leash off (I try to only take Molly to caches where it is OK for her to be off leash), run ahead, stop and look back as if to ask "what is wrong with you? Why are you so slow?" Continue running ahead until she runs past the cache. Later come back and sniff the cache, then lie down and look bored.

Sometimes she just goes to sleep, even when stitting out a hail storm under the trees:

1846639_300.jpg

Besides, I"m pretty sure that carleenp is the red headed lady smiling in the background.

Well yes, but I do change my hair color from time to time (that is natural in the pic though). It is not necessarily the same now and since I hated that cut, I grew it out! Also, I bathe whenever I can (almost all the time), but hadn't there, condsidering the camping trip! :unsure:

Ok, maybe I am way too self conscious about bad photos. Look at Molly, not me! PLEASE! :D

Our old German Shepherd, Sheba, had a chip implanted by the US Army so that she could be tracked by satellite. Yes, that's a true story, not at all related to the "Budweiser pin" tracking chip story in another thread. Sheba was a retired MP dog.

Do the chips transmit? How do satellites pick up chips from so many miles away? Are the chips for local receivers?

Alan

Does any one have a dog that is accualy trained to help find a cache?

No, but I have one who was actually trained to read. Big mistake...now the son of a bitch tries to bite me every time I reply to one of these..ow..ow..bad dog! :D

ROFL!!!!!!! :unsure::D

Alan2: I think the chips were designed not to be picked up by satellite as I originally stated, but on a hand-held unit, much like a distress beacon in airplanes and boats. She was trained as an attack dog, and also a rescue dog, so I'm thinking the chip was to locate her if she got trapped in a building or other structure during a rescue.

I always wondered, now that she's dead, if her chip is still active, and if you could find her "final resting place".

My dog has one of the BIO chips. It is not read by GPS, it simply contains a unique number that is read by a hand reader. Her (Charlotte the wonder pup) number is registered with the AKC that links her to me. Most kennels and vets have a reader. The idea comes into play when, if, she gets lost.

To get back on the original thread, I would like to start taking my dog with me GeoCaching. She loves being out in the woods. If someone does have some training methodologies, please let me know. I would love to utilize her capabilities on some microcaches yet to be found!

Thanks,

Sarp

I cache with a Jack Russell Terrier, and his nose is constantly on the ground, but there are too many cool smells in the woods, mostly squirrel or deer scent, to distract him. He could care less about the caches...As for training, he's too independent and has his own doggy agenda when in the woods, to bother listening to MY wants...

I cache with a Jack Russell Terrier, and his nose is constantly on the ground, but there are too many cool smells in the woods, mostly squirrel or deer scent, to distract him. He could care less about the caches...As for training, he's too independent and has his own doggy agenda when in the woods, to bother listening to MY wants...

You may not have noticed, but the pooch in your avatar looks like he'd rather eat that little yipper-yapper than worry about your wants. :blink:

Chloe the Lab loves to go caching, but she is too busy running around to find a cache. I heard of another cacher in NE PA that has a dalmation that has found a few. Chloe just keeps running up the trail then back to see if we will go any faster! I would love to know what her total hike is at the end of any hunt, it has to be at least twice what any human member of the team hikes.