Forum Trouble Makers!!!!!

Broncoholics

First of all, I completely disagree with ScoutMaster's irrelevant and what I think is a completely incorrect comment & will try my very hardest not to beat the dead horse.

To be on topic: I'm pretty sure I'm not on this phantom list. At least I try to aviod getting put on it.

Darn, I was going to put you on a list of Maryland Geocachers... :P

Would that make you a troublemaker for refusing to be on the list, or me for putting the list together without your permission? :o

Ouch, my head is hurting from trying to figure this one out.

What is left from that pea sized brain of mine is about to explode.

I think the biggest testiment for a list would be to look at the fourms lately. It's been awhile since one was locked.

There is nothing wrong with offering a personal opinon. What is wrong, is going against the guidelines on purpose, to push the limits of what you know is wrong.

You may be having fun doing this, but you have imposed limits on the rest of us. Limits that probably wouldn't be there but because of you. As long as the rest of the community tolerates this, then we will all suffer. Harsh words, but they are true. Police ourselves and we won't need policing.

El Diablo

...What is wrong, is going against the guidelines on purpose, to push the limits of what you know is wrong.

You may be having fun doing this, but you have imposed limits on the rest of us. Limits that probably wouldn't be there but because of you. As long as the rest of the community tolerates this, then we will all suffer. Harsh words, but they are true. Police ourselves and we won't need policing.

El Diablo

Let me see if I understand this:

If someone pushes a limit, that in turn causes limits to be imposed, and then we all have the limits that the original person pushed, that now punish us all?

But, if we never pushed limits to where we had them imposed then we would not know they were there and while they might actually be there to push since someone did it, we just would not know about them?

...What is wrong, is going against the guidelines on purpose, to push the limits of what you know is wrong.

El Diablo

If someone pushes a limit, that in turn causes limits to be imposed, and then we all have the limits that the original person pushed, that now punish us all?

But, if we never pushed limits to where we had them imposed then we would not know they were there and while they might actually be there to push since someone did it, we just would not know about them?

Allow me to paraphrase: One bad apple spoils the whole bunch

El Diablo

Allow me to paraphrase: One bad apple spoils the whole bunch

Thanks smurf. I think that summed it up best.

El Diablo

Police ourselves and we won't need policing.

True but there was a point where the police came just looking to bust heads.

The results should have been easy to predict. The police only then had two options: Keep busting heads and not back down and including the head busting on a wider range. Or the thinking cops approach and backing up and trying to figure out a less violent means out of the self inflicted chaos.

We saw the path that was taken.

Sometimes I truly have to wonder about you guys....LOL.

The original post had to do with being on a supposed "list" that laid out who was considered a "trouble maker" within the forums.

I find this simply a way to stir up trouble, ironically enough. This statement was made and expected to be believed with no evidence posted to support the statement. Others who have tried to do the same thing have been dinged for it by many of the individuals I see posting in here, but in this case it's not being done. :D

What admin told you this? What was the context of the list? Was it just something that particular admin does, or is this supposed list being contributed to by all admins, or some clique? What does this list have to do with Geocaching in general or anything else for that matter? :D

Now, none of this post is meant to be an attack, or an attempt to start trouble, but actually to ask the question: Why is the original post considered worth all this debate when it's not backed up with evidence? It is simply a statement and a complaint about being "on the list". :D

My curiosity awaits more data. :unsure:

:D:D:D

The results should have been easy to predict. The police only then had two options: Keep busting heads and not back down and including the head busting on a wider range. Or the thinking cops approach and backing up and trying to figure out a less violent means out of the self inflicted chaos.

Well now, having been a police officer for 8 years, I think I can answer this one. A police officer never has the luxury of backing down. You go in and do what is right and no matter the odds, you don't back away. It is an oath you take and officers die everyday upholding it.

If you ever back away then your credibility is lost with the community. You always try to find a peaceable solution. However if that's not possible, you stand your ground and do what must be done.

El Diablo

Well now, having been a police officer for 8 years, I think I can answer this one. A police officer never has the luxury of backing down. You go in and do what is right and no matter the odds, you don't back away. It is an oath you take and officers die everyday upholding it.

If you ever back away then your credibility is lost with the community. You always try to find a peaceable solution. However if that's not possible, you stand your ground and do what must be done.

El Diablo

I love you ED, no, really, I do......LOL.

:unsure::D:D

Ok I'll bite Breaktrack,

Time and again I see post after post about 'those who cause trouble' or 'stir the pot' or 'cross the line' like it's generally known and accepted who 'they' are. The list is like the mythical "They" used when you say soemthing like "They say a bird in the hand..." I've taken to calling this group The Usual Suspects.

So, while no list was forthcoming there have been enough posts insinuating that The Usual Suspects cause trouble, or should go away, or quit pusing limits to where it's clear that it's assumed everyone knows there is a list and that some know who's on it.

Even El Diablo gave in to the temptation and posted a rant against The Usual Suspects which was quickly locked.

Well now, having been a police officer for 8 years, I think I can answer this one. A police officer never has the luxury of backing down.

Well first let me thank you for being out there protecting us.

Second, I never said backing down.

First off...I'm no longer a police officer, but I'm sure the officers still out there appreciate your thanks. Second, you did say back down.

If I read your original message right, you were eluding to the fact that the moderators came in here heavy handed to get things under control, and that they don't seem to know how to stop. If that is indeed your message, then your wrong. They came in here and used justifiable force to get things in order, then backed off.

If that wasn't your intended message, I apologize for misreading it.

El Diablo

They came in here and used justifiable force to get things in order, then backed off.

This week has been different because it is Christmas. People's schedules are different and they travel, so many regulars aren't here. With fewer people online, the mods haven't had as much to read or lock down. Just wait until mid-January, things will be back to normal and we'll be complaining about the mods again. :unsure:

(This is only a prediction based upon past events and is not intended to be an attack on the moderators)

Second, you did say back down.

If I read your original message right, you were eluding to the fact that the moderators came in here heavy handed to get things under control, and that they don't seem to know how to stop. If that is indeed your message, then your wrong. They came in here and used justifiable force to get things in order, then backed off.

If that wasn't your intended message, I apologize for misreading it.

El Diablo

No I'm sorry I did not say back down, I said back up! Please go back and read my post. And please stop putting words in my mouth.

Back up as in rethinking. As in, "Gee, maybe, just maybe, I made a mistake getting involved in this. Maybe I should not have been involved in the first place. Now what can I do to fix this mess that I started."

Yes you did get my intended message. I'm not going to go around with you on who is right and who is wrong. We have to agree to disagree on that one. I have not drunk the kool-aid.

I don't know about any official lists, but many of the rude, arrogant, and flippant comments might get people put on individual poster's "lists" of people to dislike. The "Blah blah blah" comment earlier on in this thread is an example of that kind of comment. I agree wholeheartedly that posting and caching have nothing to do with each other. I might even have thought the very words myself, but I would not post them in response. I have recieved responses to many of my posts that I considered rude. I never once reported any of them. Did it get people on a personal list of those I dislike? Absolutely. I have no problem with differing opinions. I do have a problem with people expressing them in a less than civilized manner. In fact, a few of the people nominated in the "influential posters" thread have made the sort of inconsiderate posts I'm referring to. I don't know whether it is a lack of common sense or disrespect, unintentional or otherwise. But I wish it would stop. It's a shame people get these "one liner" responses that do nothing more than dump on the original post, without offering any useful insight. Some people post these rude comments without a moment's pause, and could care less if it makes them look like a jerk. The problem is that when well respected, long time forum users make these comments, they are taken seriously by their "groupies" and it only serves to perpetuate the behavior. Once again I think of the "influential poster" thread. Many of the nominees could have gotten my vote, were it not for the occasional rudeness that seems to go unnoticed by all but the people it was directed at. If you desire to be respected, never let your guard down, no matter how entertaining or funny it might seem at the time.

Someone, somewhere is making a list.

It's a shame people get these "one liner" responses that do nothing more than dump on the original post, without offering any useful insight.

Hey! I may not be the first or the best at "One Liners" but it's pretty much my schtick. Your comment is exactly the kind of thoughtless knee jerk reaction that you are complaining about that get people put on that type of list. If you can't laugh with me laughing at everyone then how can we laugh at each other?

Point being:

1. Humor does serve a purpose and can "say" something along the way.

2. Everything will offend someone. You have your list, I have mine. The requirements don't have to match. :unsure:

these "one liner" responses that do nothing more than dump on the original post, without offering any useful insight. Some people post these rude comments without a moment's pause, and could care less if it makes them look like a jerk.

It works, it works!! :D

Explanation: I received a program called "Yawn Meter" for Christmas. I pointed it towards this thread and it stopped right here. Man!!...talk about a time saver!!! :unsure:

I have come to the conclusion that some people think OUR username and avatar puts us on a troublemaker list. So I want to clearly state that we are not troublemakers. I have been told by a certain person that we have our work cut out for us because of our name. I am not trying to bark up the wrong tree, but I don't want our name on this list. I know the administrators have labled certain people.

Also, if you feel like you are on this list, maybe you can give a simple reason or excuse as to why you think you have been labled. It will be interesting to see who thinks they are. You will have to use common sense so the TOPIC will not get closed.

Duane

Upinyachit

:D

What makes you think that there is a troublemaker list? Who is the certain person? This sounds like the continuation of another thread.

As far as the whole self-moderation thing goes, there have been Geocachers that could not self-moderate. LOTS of threads devolved into flaming matches or got FAR off topic. I don't always like the moderation, but do like seeing some threads stay on topic.

Yeah, you can call me a brown-noser. I happen to have a nice brown nose- ask my wife. :unsure:

Personally I think any one who has more Posts on the Fourms than Caches Logged should Complain less and Cache more

I disagree completely...

Those who want to talk should talk, and those who want to cache should cache.

I too find the most-posting races bizarre, to say the least, but then there are other people who find geocaching bizarre, so what the heck? Each to their own!

My quote:

I received a pm from an administrator that there is a list. That is what prompted my post.  I was just curious as to if any one thinks they are on it also

Breaktrack? With Quotes like the ones below, I think you are just trying to push our buttons.

I find this simply a way to stir up trouble, ironically enough. This statement was made and expected to be believed with no evidence posted to support the statement. Others who have tried to do the same thing have been dinged for it by many of the individuals I see posting in here, but in this case it's not being done.

What admin told you this? What was the context of the list? Was it just something that particular admin does, or is this supposed list being contributed to by all admins, or some clique? What does this list have to do with Geocaching in general or anything else for that matter? 

I have the evidence that an admin. pm and told me about a list. If this admin. wants to step up to the plate, then do so. I just don't think it's a great idea to start naming names. :unsure:

Duane

Upinyachit

Now, none of this post is meant to be an attack, or an attempt to start trouble, but actually to ask the question: Why is the original post considered worth all this debate when it's not backed up with evidence? It is simply a statement and a complaint about being "on the list".

Actually, there has been precious little debate about any actual list. Regardless of whether or not an actual list exists, does anyone doubt that the moderators monitor the activities of some forum participants more closely than others?

If each moderator made a personal list, would anyone be surprised that some names would likely appear on all the lists, that some names would appear on only a few of the lists, and some names would be unique to specific lists? I know I wouldn't be surprised; despite their best efforts to remain impartial, the moderators are human, and each has his/her personal preferences and prejudices.

And unless you (generic 'you') were being unfairly targeted to the point of harrassment by one or more moderator, would having your name appear on any of the lists matter to you in the very least?

Edited by BassoonPilot

First of all, I just skimmed through a couple of posts, and did not thoroughly read all.

Second, I really hate the fact that I am one of many who thumbs through the topics in hopes of seeing another flame thread erupting and eagerly await to post.

*Can you take it all away? Can you take it all away? When you shoved it in my face? Explain it again to me. Everything's so blurry.*

Oops! had to detangle that "Blurry" song, cause some reference can be made here.

I once fought with the law and the law won, as a classic example speaks truth. I then phoned my mother in hopes for bail, as any son would do. Her reply was, "You made your bed, now lie in it."

Back on the rails that empower that massive reality train:

A reputation can go two ways: one that you want to keep or one that you want to hide. I am torn between both, but I now "try" to put prudential acts before hasty decisions. Believe me it's really hard to do.

I have received a couple of nasty emails concerning a topic or two, but the one most memorable was quite bothersome, as the sender knows as well as I do that it was not warranted at all. BTW that certain user knows exactly who YOU are, but I'm not at justice to smash your credibility in public, since it was respectful of you in the first place to gnaw on me privately. Of course, Sir User, I didn't reply to you because your remarks deserved no merit, therefore I left you alone.

Your actions reflect your character, and I would assume that we all would like to be "respectable" to a certain extent in the eyes of our peers.

Here's where we get the nasty warning percent and all the hoopla that encircles it, not to mention the personal bashes and all that, whether on the forums or pm's and emails.

Jeez! This is a FORUM!!!

I can deal with it. Can YOU? :unsure:

There's a list? No, really? Wow.....Are they chekcing it twice? Finding out who's naughty or nice?

Seriously, who cares if there is one. I'm sure there are plenty people who haven't gotten a blip out of their warn meter that is on a "list". Especially me. That's ok, I have a list too.

Scout Master (if you are still following this thread), it appears as if you don't have too many sympathizers. I may be the only one. I understand what you said. The key words were 'complain less' (you bunch of geocaching wordmongers can define 'complain' anyway you want). There is a diference between complaining and discussing, I get that. But some of us are tired of seeing the same people complain that their silly virt cache was not approved (for instance). Instead of letting it die, we get to hear it (err see it) constantly. Anyway, i'll stop complaining now because Scout Master will be looking at my post count vs cache count and he will not be happy with me. :unsure:

edit: substituted 'stupid' with 'silly'

Edited by clearpath