New Cache Near Your House?

Jamie Z

I've found a lot of caches which are hidden in some neighborhood park. Sometimes when I find the container, I'm standing less than 100 feet from someone's back deck.

Other times I've found caches where I'm only on the other side of a fence from someone's yard. I can hear the dogs barking at me.

This has got me to wondering. Has anyone checked the geocaching site only to find that there is a cache right in their back yard--purely by coincidence? What's the closest cache to your house that someone placed without knowledge that a cacher lived nearby?

Have you ever plugged the coordinates to that new cache into your GPS and when you pressed the GOTO button while standing in your driveway, the GPS showed the distance in feet rather than miles?

For the record, I haven't. The closest cache to my house is a little over a half mile.

Jamie

There are three caches within a half mile of the house that I've been able to walk to. Oddly, I've only recently found two of those although, they have been there for months. Our backyard backs up to one of the largest undeveloped parks in our town, 120 acres of typical second-growth northwest forest that I estimate was logged at least 75 years ago, maybe 100. I appreciate the solitude of looking out my back window and I'd be very reluctant to place a cache there within site. Besides, there's already a cache in that park a comfortable half-mile away. But I'm thinking of placing a cache somewhere within the 120 acres that is not within view, not close to the other cache, and more of a challenge than the other cache.

I own the 3 of the 4 caches closest to my house - I hope that changes soon!

I live on 1 1/2 acres but the majority of the property is behind the house and runs into a creek. I wish I could place it somewhere where I could sit and look out a window to watch the cachers, though.

I remember a few months ago somebody was talking about setting up a cache in thier front yard in the woods and to log a successful find, you had to sign the book without being seen by the owner - great idea!

Wonder if it ever came to fruition....??

Boy I wish. Closest cache to my house is 10.4 miles away, and it's mine. It's 10.7 miles to the next cache, which is one I've found. I've got 14.6 miles to the closest unfound cache. Yes, I hope those numbers "improve" and I do plan on hiding at least one closer to home, but I've gotta find the right spot, first. :unsure:

I have one cache within 5 minutes walking distance, and almost within view. However, it doesn't show up at that location as a waypoint on the GC site, since it's the final cache of a 9-part multi, the first of which ia 2 miles away. When I did it, I was amused to find myself circuling around my house, and then zooming in on it - almost!

There's a starting point to an offset cache 208m from Puppy's front door, and another one about 400m in another direction.

I've also ended up hiding a cache under 300m from Steelhead[bC] and SuperB's front door without knowing it.

I'm seeing a trend where all the new caches in my neighborhood are put there by MrPeabody. :o

We ended up behind Webfoot's house on a cache hunt. We only found out later that he happened to be my wife's Jr. High School teacher!

(hearing tune to 'It's a Small World"...)

I loved that cache.

I got to meet a lot of local and not so local geocachers that way. Alas, we had to move and there's no real good area behind my house now to place a new one and I figured that it would be better to archive that one than to inconvenience the new owners.

Now I'm going to be humming that dadgum song all night long. :o

We live on an acre-plus sloping lot most of which is full of trees. I want to place a cache somewhere there but my wife (not exactly the geocaching enthusiast that I am; she claims I am addicted) doesn't want me to do it. Her reason--the "strange people who will be walking around the backyard."

Does anyone know any "strange" geocachers? I haven't been to any events yet but based on the forums most of you seem quite normal. (With the obvious exceptions; names withheld to protect the innocent.)

I have placed a cache within 250 feet of my office; haven't seen anyone searching for it as they seem to come after hours or on weekends.

I placed one in the park about a block from my house. I've seen one set of cachers looking for it and have had a few others come looking for me! :P

A friend of mine recently discovered a cache hidden right across the street from his apartment building. Nice location for him since he wanted to introduce a friend who also lived there to geocaching.

Of course the friend still insisted on driving his pickup truck to the cache...across the road....hmmmm...I'm guessing this game just isn't for him. :o

Bret

When we moved to Midland, Texas in October, I figured we would be somewhat close to this cache but little did I realize it would only be two blocks away!!! I have also discovered the ending of a multi is at a park right around the corner from my house... I went looking for it one day but ran out of daylight figuring out the multi-steps to the cache by the time I got to the park, and didn't have the proper gear (a.k.a. flashlight) to find the container...I can't say why but I just haven't gone back to grab that one, but have driven ten miles out of town to find another one :P ..may be I should just head on over there.... :o

We placed our very cache in the canyon right behind our house. Our backyard happens to face city park that has a canyon. The cache is only 70 feet from my back door. Though its on public land and very easy to access.

When people find our cache, they often report that they feel they are being watched. Which is true, we really enjoy watching people find our cache (though we try to be discrete about it).

Its also real easy to keep tabs on this cache.

yeah it was pretty fun you started out with a reference number and had to find that book on the shelf. once you found the book there was a note placed inside the dust jacket with the next reference number.it had a total of 5 steps and the logbook was literally right out in the open but you wouldn't look twice at it if you weren't looking for it.

Let's see there is 2, 1, 525 ft. West and 1, 525 ft. East to stay within the Guide lines of my House,1 is mine and the other is the wifes.

When these were placed the 1st cache not mine was 2.5 miles away. then the next one,s were miles for quite a while and now a few more are showing but still 30-50 miles away.

I live in the Woods,down by the River in a bus lol

the closest cache to me is .2 miles, and it's a offset/multi type dealy. It bummed me out cause I wasn't even first to find it. I knew where the end place was as soon as I saw where the first coords pointed to (a war memorial.) This was also the only time I met another Geocacher on the "trail" and didnt speak to him/her. This guy was also from my area and was racing to be FTF (for some reason the cache showed up as new to the 2 of us days after everyone else), I did beat him, but to no avail. The final location was in a park, and to get to it you had to cross a bridge, and the the bridge had just been removed for repair. I forded the stream thinking.. "who else would do this?" when I found the cache I was sad to see I was 4th!!! 4th!!! Bah! Geocachers let nothing stand in their way!

There was a navicache located .3 miles from me in the other direction, I was first on that, but it wasn't a big accomplishment as the "second to find" team came about 3 months later and a grand total of 4 people have found it in about 6 months.. Ah well. :blink:

I've found a lot of caches which are hidden in some neighborhood park. Sometimes when I find the container, I'm standing less than 100 feet from someone's back deck.

Other times I've found caches where I'm only on the other side of a fence from someone's yard. I can hear the dogs barking at me.

This has got me to wondering. Has anyone checked the geocaching site only to find that there is a cache right in their back yard--purely by coincidence? What's the closest cache to your house that someone placed without knowledge that a cacher lived nearby?

Have you ever plugged the coordinates to that new cache into your GPS and when you pressed the GOTO button while standing in your driveway, the GPS showed the distance in feet rather than miles?

For the record, I haven't. The closest cache to my house is a little over a half mile.

Jamie

Closest for me is .25 miles or so.

We placed our very cache in the canyon right behind our house. Our backyard happens to face city park that has a canyon. The cache is only 70 feet from my back door. Though its on public land and very easy to access.

When people find our cache, they often report that they feel they are being watched. Which is true, we really enjoy watching people find our cache (though we try to be discrete about it).

Its also real easy to keep tabs on this cache.

A local cacher in our area, Seth!, has two caches in his yard. His dog Phred likes to make a racket as we all go for the caches.