Data For Your Own City

MissJenn

I checked it out....but I'm a bit concerned how they interpret the data. They labeled Ocean City, MD as one of the top 100 high crime towns...I used to live there, I know thats not true. The population is only at most 10,000 in the winter, but then it gets a 9,000,000 tourist influx between may & september.

I also found that they did not list Reading, PA as one of the top highest crime cities in the US, recently we were found in the top 25 across the nation in one of the national publications, don't remember which one it was.

Somewhere, the data is a bit skewed....hmmmm,

but it is cool to look at!

Edited by Ce'Nedra
They labeled Ocean City, MD as one of the top 100 high crime towns...I used to live there, I know thats not true.  The population is only at most 10,000 in the winter, but then it gets a 9,000,000 tourist influx between may & september.

That is similar to the Jersey Shore. Stone Harbor used to have the highest crime rate in NJ. If you have ever been there, you know that is skewed. Just like your OC example, the population swells during tourist season. Crime is all crime, not just violent crime. It seems that Stone Harbor used to (probably still does) have a problem with stolen bicycles. In Cape May it was drunk and disorderly. Anyhow, these ""crimes" are based on year-round populations. It is very easy to skew the rates.