Where is the USB Interface on Garmin GPS60CS?

jotne

Page 1 says: "Auto route basemap and 56 MB of memory for optional MapSource® topo, marine and city map downloads (via USB and/or Serial port connections)."

So it looks like the USB is not a "interface" for normal GPS functions, but a way to load maps. Hopefully you can download waypoints and tracks that way too, but someone is going to have to come up with software on the PC side to do that. Right now all the standards are based on RS-232 which is quite adequate for everything but map loading.

USB for uploading and downloading.

Serial COMM port for Tracking using laptop, or slow upload/download.

One reason for the change, is because newer laptops are likely to not have any serial ports.

I think that I heard that the USB port is somewhere in the back of the unit.

Edited by GOT GPS?

Judging by the accessory cable at the following link, http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10477%2D03 ,and reading the above posts,it appears you are looking for an actual USB port on your unit.The picture shows what appears to be the units' standard interface plug with a USB plug for your PC.

If you are looking for a USB port on your unit,you're barking up the wrong tree.Hope this helps.

What is "USB" if it's not an Interface :unsure:

It may by that Garmin delivers a serial to USB converter  B)

Can't see where anyone said that USB wasn't an interface.

Maybe you were referring to my original post,which may have been slightly confusing.

To clarify:

early posts suggested people were looking for a USB port on the back of the unit

the cable pictured in the link appeared to have the GPS standard interface plug on one end with a USB plug on the other end(to plug into your pc).If this is the case there would be no need for a serial to USB converter.

I hope that explanation is clearer and possibly more helpful

Edited by fivegallon
Judging by the accessory cable at the following link, http://shop.garmin.com/accessory.jsp?sku=010%2D10477%2D03 ,and reading the above posts,it appears you are looking for an actual USB port on your unit.The picture shows what appears to be the units' standard interface plug with a USB plug for your PC.

If you are looking for a USB port on your unit,you're barking up the wrong tree.Hope this helps.

That appears to be a standard USB cable. Most small USB devices use that same mini USB plug. If it wasn't a standard cable, they probably wouldn't be able to sell it for $15.

Can't see where anyone said that USB wasn't an interface.

I was some confused when reading the pdf file from Garmin:

http://www.garmin.com/specs/GPS60C_CS_SpSht.pdf

Interfaces:

RS232 with NMEA 0183,RTCM 104 DGPS

data format and proprietary GARMIN

It's written "Interfaces:" compare to "Interface:"

So I guess there is USB, and it should have been added to the "Interfaces:" section :unsure:

So I guess there is USB, and it should have been added to the "Interfaces:" section :unsure:

I don't disagree with that, but I think the reason it was left off is that it doesn't appear interface to the GPSr datastream itself - only to the memory. (Maps, waypoints, etc.) If Garmin added the USB to the interface section, it would have to put a bunch of verbiage in there about what that interface could do.