Christmas Cacher?

Lyra

I bought my son, GeoJr. a ETREX. He was very excited, sat outside in the 20 degree weather getting it ready. He wants his own account now, and he wants to hit all of the caches in town. Not very many, but he wants to do it on his own. I'm going to miss him, he was my main "Finder" He fits through all of the nasty brush and smaller places. Behold, another hardcore Geocacher is on the loose.

Umm, I've been lurking the forums since around September, but I didn't have money enough to buy a GPSr. Anyway, my parents got me a brand new Magellan SporTrak for christmas, and I really think the caching levels are going to spike in my area, because of me, hoping to place new caches...

I bought my son, GeoJr. a ETREX. He was very excited, sat outside in the 20 degree weather getting it ready. He wants his own account now, and he wants to hit all of the caches in town. Not very many, but he wants to do it on his own. I'm going to miss him, he was my main "Finder" He fits through all of the nasty brush and smaller places. Behold, another hardcore Geocacher is on the loose.

How old is your son?

B) ....been around here since September. We've been using and old Eagle Expedition. We got our son a Magellan Sportstrac Map at Sams for Christmas. We looked around Houston for a good deal and couldn't find a better deal than right here in town. We got back home and I went and got one for myself. The newer "Waas enabled" GPSr's seem to be more accurate. However, we found quite a few with our old 1996 dinosaur. We'll keep it around for an extra.

:unsure:

Wife bought me a Streetpilot III for vehicle use, but since it is battery powered, I can use it for geocaching without spending additional change can't I?

It CAN be used, but it's not the best idea. They aren't designed for hand held use and are awfully heavy for geocaching. You might be better off just getting a cheap eTrex. Use the SP to get you to the trail head and the eTrex to get you to the cache.

Got a GPS Map 76S from Santa, did my first four caches today....as an added pleasure my Son went along and he loves it. He is like a pro, can find stuff where I do not think to look. So this is a chance for a good father/son thing and it beats the heck out of Video Games.

:o ...just checked back here after posting here earlier in the day and noticed I got a warn 0% with a few blocks beside it. Did I do something wrong in my earlier post about my new GPSr? Was I not supposed to mention where it was purchased? I really didn't think I did anything wrong when I posted. If that was it.....sorry.

OH NO!!!!!!!!!! Not a 0% warn!!!!!!!!!! Egads......I, um.....well, I don't know how to tell you this, but......ummm........that's a good thing! There are some of us who haven't seen 0% for, well, ever!

Don't worry about it, only you can see your warn meter. It's a teaching tool. Whatever that means. As long as it's 0%, you're ok. :P

received a Garmin GPSmap 76S. Wish I knew how to use all it's features. Learning. My geo buddy that got me started is now in Downtown Bagdad so I have had to venture on my own. Looking forward to spending time with my kids going on a cache hunt. Can anyone tell me about the Wild George tokens? the number would not work on Wheresgeorge.com. Thanks PainTaker.

Got a Magellan SporTrak from the husband and kids for Christmas. Never used one before or done a hunt before. Was told about the website from a friend and have been dying to try it out. Having problems still trying to learn how to use the settings and other things. Went on our first hunt this morning and found it. Hooked and can't wait for it to stop raining so we can do more tomorrow! :o

Santa brought us all a SporTrak. We've found 5 caches so far, including one on Christmas Day. My 7 yo thinks this is terrific fun! My 3 yo would enjoy it a bit more if we didn't keep wandering into wild rose brambles :o

Tomorrow we're off to do some in Philadelphia with some company... And I can guarantee some spiking up here as I convert some of my students...

Santa brought me a Garmin Legend that I helped her order a while back. I've been lurking the forums for a while trying to get educated. I think I've picked up some pretty good info from you guys, thanks. My daughter and I went out on the 27th and found our first cache easily. On the attempt for our 2nd, our luck was'nt so good. I kept getting odd-ball readings. The unit would read somthing like 20' E, so I would go a few feet E and then it read 30' N, go north. then W and so on. We just searched the entire area but had no luck. It was a cloudy, windy day here in Southern ID, would that cause the sporadic readings?

Santa brought me a Garmin Legend that I helped her order a while back. I've been lurking the forums for a while trying to get educated. I think I've picked up some pretty good info from you guys, thanks. My daughter and I went out on the 27th and found our first cache easily. On the attempt for our 2nd, our luck was'nt so good. I kept getting odd-ball readings. The unit would read somthing like 20' E, so I would go a few feet E and then it read 30' N, go north. then W and so on. We just searched the entire area but had no luck. It was a cloudy, windy day here in Southern ID, would that cause the sporadic readings?

The clouds will be a factor. Also you will notice that when you get in the area that your gps will bounce you all over the place. Learn to watch the needle as you aproach. When it syas you are about 100 feet away...look to where the arrow is pointing, then rely on good old hunting skills and not the gps.

Also I would like to say welcome to all the newcomers. It's a great hobby/game/sport. If you need help don't hesitate to ask.

El Diablo

:o Yes! I got a Rino 120 from Santa this year. I've been very interested to start geocaching for about a year now. Ever since I heard about it I've been reading about all the caches in my area on geocaching.com, and earnestly waiting for my chance to find them. I am equally anxious to go and place my first cache - just keeping an eye open for a good place, and maybe a nice day to go do it. Any other Rino users in Eastern South Dakota area?
Santa brought me an eTrex Legend. This is so cool. I planned to use it for biking but discovered caching by Christmas afternoon... thank you internet.

The cable is a lifesaver, too. I've downloaded a dozen waypoints for this week.

I started with the Geko 101, and moved up to a Legend within a month or so. I'm sure you'll like it, I know I do. I've got MapSource MetroGuide with it, and that is nice for travelling. It'll allow you to set a route on the PC and download it to the GPSr for turn by turn directions. Also gives umpteen million points of interest along any route, such as malls, gas, food, services, etc. I paid too much for it direct from Garmin, but I've seen it as low as $75 other places. If you decide to get cigarette lighter adapters, or other cables for the unit, check the prices at GPSGeek.com. They are really low, and they'll bend over backward to help you out. Ok...nuff sed. :blink:

Howdy All,

I too got a basic Garmin yellow etrex for xmas. My wife bought it off of eBay auctions as a used once item. Seems the seller bought it for his boat and then sold the boat. I guess he has never heard about geocaching!!

I was a little surprised at how challenging it was to try to enter a coordinate to start with. I thought that there would be a entry point option to do that. It took me awhile to figure out that you had to MARK first and then select WAYPOINTS and then edit the waypoint that was just created.

In any event we have now done 2 successful geocaches, the first one was a multi cache that took us quite awhile but we certainly learned alot by doing it.

While we are not new to the GeoCache concept we are new to doing it. Two of our family members are long time GeoCachers (Lizard Man & Denali). In fact they were with us during our first multi cache find and taught us quite a bit.

We are now enjoying this outstanding activity with a second find and many more over the next few days. What a way to experience nature!!

Closing with Love, Bryce

Spent the day after Christmas getting our find total up to 20 and looking for more!

JTI 112303: Joined the Insanity 11/23/03

You will always remember this date as the day you joined the insanity. Your life will never be the same. :blink:

Soon you'll be tromping through mud, scaling cliffs, pulling out ticks, etc...all in the name of that elusive cache. Fare thee well!

I have just bought an Etrex basic yellow for £93.00 in the uk I have to say I am new to gps but have been hiking and map reading for years. To me it seems like a really well built and easy to use unit. I know it isn't kitted out with every gadget but for caching do you really need a machine that can work out the theory of relativity.....well done Garmin.

I have just bought an Etrex basic yellow for £93.00 in the uk I have to say I am new to gps but have been hiking and map reading for years. To me it seems like a really well built and easy to use unit. I know it isn't kitted out with every gadget but for caching do you really need a machine that can work out the theory of relativity.....well done Garmin.

Nope. You'll find hundreds, if not thousands of cachers who use very basic models. My first was a Geko 101, and served me well enough to find half a dozen caches in my first few outings. :blink:

Finally got my wish. Got a RINO 110 for xmas. Been wanting one for awhile. I do alot of jeeping and have been wanting to "cache" for a long time. Now once I get done reading the encyclopedia instruction book I'll be ready to go.

See ya'll out there. San Deigo County in the desert.