Dru Sjodin

Lyra

Search and rescue has been a good role for geocachers, so I also encourage anyone in that area who can help, to please contact authorities. Its a horrible tragedy and I know I'd appreciate any assistance if it were my family in need.

As yet, I've not rec'd any formal training in S&R, but would like to explore the possibility of geocachers playing a larger role in S&R.

Great idea! And let me know if you do volunteer and how it works out. I'd love to know if the local authorities feel that your GPS background provides any advantage in S&R.

Search and rescue has been a good role for geocachers, so I also encourage anyone in that area who can help, to please contact authorities. Its a horrible tragedy and I know I'd appreciate any assistance if it were my family in need.

As yet, I've not rec'd any formal training in S&R, but would like to explore the possibility of geocachers playing a larger role in S&R.

Great idea! And let me know if you do volunteer and how it works out. I'd love to know if the local authorities feel that your GPS background provides any advantage in S&R.

S & R would be a good idea for Great Plains Geocaching to promote to area caching groups. I would like to see us look more in this area, just to help out when needed and to promote a better image of geocaching.

Excellent idea. Not many other groups aside from hikers (alot of which are cachers) would know as much about the backwoods than cachers. And a TrackLog of searches would definitely be helpful in pinpointing areas that haven't been searched yet. Wish I was closer, I'd definitely help. Was involved in a few S&R missions as a paramedic, though none had happy outcomes.

Glad to see I've sparked some interest. I became interested in Dru's disappearance due to a tragic story that happened in my local area involving the double murder of a husband and wife and the apparent abduction of their nine-year-old daughter, whose remains were found about a month later about 30 miles away.

I will forewarn you that the forums on www.finddru.com have gotten way out of hand, with lots of typical childish arguing and such. If you're interested in helping with searches, however, check the forums and try to ignore the idiots on board. What's sad about it is that the website was put up by Dru's family, and people are being stupid enough to proclaim their detailed theories about how she must have been adbucted and raped and whatnot. I'm sure her family has long since abandoned the site in favor of holding out hope that she's still alive.

Anyway, there's another search that's being coordinated by Dru's family and law enforcement within the next month or so. There's a police contact number at the website and I would suggest calling that number if you want to volunteer. The "unofficial" searches appear to be little more than pissing contests between people who want to show that they're more "holier than thou" by actually doing something. Unfortunately, the general consensus appears to be that they're searching areas that have already been searched or have been ruled out as possible fruitful search areas.

Edited by Lyra
Glad to see I've sparked some interest. I became interested in Dru's disappearance due to a tragic story that happened in my local area involving the double murder of a husband and wife and the apparent abduction of their nine-year-old daughter, whose remains were found about a month later about 30 miles away.

I will forewarn you that the forums on www.finddru.com have gotten way out of hand, with lots of typical childish arguing and such. If you're interested in helping with searches, however, check the forums and try to ignore the idiots on board. What's sad about it is that the website was put up by Dru's family, and people are being stupid enough to proclaim their detailed theories about how she must have been adbucted and raped and whatnot. I'm sure her family has long since abandoned the site in favor of holding out hope that she's still alive.

Anyway, there's another search that's being coordinated by Dru's family and law enforcement within the next month or so. There's a police contact number at the website and I would suggest calling that number if you want to volunteer. The "unofficial" searches appear to be little more than pissing contests between people who want to show that they're more "holier than thou" by actually doing something. Unfortunately, the general consensus appears to be that they're searching areas that have already been searched or have been ruled out as possible fruitful search areas.

Childish arguments in a forum? You must be joking! :rolleyes:

From experience, I can tell you that nothing is more heartwrenching than searching for a young child and finding their remains. No one should ever have to experience that. I still have nightmares about it 10 years later. With that in mind, I would still go on a search in a heartbeat. I've already got the nightmares, so what's one more?