Gpxsonar Version 1.1 Beta Released! (ppc 2k3 Only)

-=(GEO)=-

Since it's Xmas, I figured that a new release of GPXSonar would be in order :mad:

What's new in the 1.1 release?

New Feature: a new menu called ‘My Stuff’ has been added which groups the following options: ‘Travel Bugs’, ‘Caches’ (new), ‘GC.com User ID’ (new).

New Feature: ‘My Stuff\GC.com User ID’ : this new option allows you to provide the user ID that you use on www.geocaching.com so that GpxSonar can identify the caches that belong to you. This information is used some of the other new features.

New Feature: ‘My Stuff\Caches’ : this option opens up a ‘Cache Manager’: you can use it to manage the caches that you haved placed and you can use it to make permanent copies of cache pages showing in the main cache list so that they can be available even if you don’t have the GPX file where they originally came from loaded in the application. In either case, all the properties of the caches are editable. If a cache has multiple waypoints, they can also be tracked individually. The management of the waypoints is eased with the ability to import a GPX file generated by EasyGPS so that you don’t have to enter them manually. If you don’t know about EasyGPS, you can find more information at http://www.easygps.com

New Feature: the caches that you own are now tagged with a ‘red arrow’ icon in the main cache listing. This features requires you to provide the user ID that you use on geocaching.com.

New Feature: the statistics report about the content of the GPX file (accessible from “Reports\GPX File Info”) has been improved to include icons.

New Feature: the ‘Field Notes’ report has been enhanced with a filter allowing you to report on and delete field notes selectively.

New Feature: the dialog used to enter coordinates has been enhanced with a waypoint projection feature. The projection distance can be expressed in ‘Meters’, ‘Feet’ or ‘Paces’. Angles can be expressed in degrees or in terms of a direction (N, S, E, W, NE, …).

Bug Fix: under HPC, Pocket Internet Explorer has trouble with filenames containing spaces. GPXSonar no longer uses spaces in bitmap filenames to work around this issue.

Bug Fix: the ‘Distance Units’ were not set properly by default. They are now set to ‘Statute Miles’ by default.

Bug Fix: In the ‘Travel Bugs’ properties dialog, the maximum length for the name of a travel bug has been extended to 100 characters from 30.

Bug Fix: In cache log entries, any coordinates provided by a cacher would not be displayed. This has been fixed.

Note: because of the changes affecting the naming of some of the files used in previous versions of GPXSonar, you should uninstall the application from you Pocket PC before installing version 1.1. Before you uninstall it, please make sure to make a backup of the GPXSonar.dat file located under \Program Files\GPXSonar\Config or you may lose the custom data that you may have entered in the application (field notes, etc.).

This 1.1 Beta release is only for PPC 2003. The PPC 2002 version will be available when the final release of 1.1 is ready.

You can download GpxSonar 1.1 from the links on the main site page at http://gpxsonar.homeip.net .

Please post your feedback here.

Merry Xmas,

Fabien.

Edited by -=(GEO)=-

Thanks for the wonderful gift Geo. So far so good. Looking at the new features and like what I see. Thanks for taking up my idea. OH!!! That was yours....hehe...

So far the only thing I still see is that you can't load the program on a mem chip. (well you can but IE doesn't work then) Must be something that prevents you from being able to do that.

Other wise, keep it up and thanks again.

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder

Rosco...

Glad to see that everything is working for you :mad:

About loading the app from a memory card: I'll get around to fixing this at some point. It's just not a big priority for my own use, so that's why I haven't done it yet.

Regards,

Fabien.

Edited by -=(GEO)=-
New Feature: ‘My Stuff\Caches’ :

clip....

The management of the waypoints is eased with the ability to import a GPX file generated by EasyGPS so that you don’t have to enter them manually.

Is to say Geo, that the trashing of a GPX file that EasyGPS does isn't a problem anymore after you save it or that's a different use now so it doesn't matter??

Rosco...

Different use this time: all I care about when I import waypoints saved with EasyGPS is the name of the waypoint, its description and its coordinates. For that. the GPX files produced by EasyGPS are fine because that's -all- they contain anyway :mad:

EasyGPS makes it easy to download and save waypoints from GPS receivers and that's the primary reason for making GPXSonar compatible w/ it to save people the hassle of typing stuff in when they use the cache manager.

Regards,

Fabien.

Hey! I knew there was something I wanted to ask/say. Is there anyway you could make it so that I could send waypoints to garmin gpsr's? I think gpxsonar is the best paperless geocaching tool and there isn't much else I could think of to make it better, but it would still be nice if it communicated with my gamin :unsure: Thanks for the work you have done - I enoy using it.

Hey!  I knew there was something I wanted to ask/say.  Is there anyway you could make it so that I could send waypoints to garmin gpsr's?

Boy did you mess up in that post. Didn't you mean

MAGELLAN??? :unsure:

On my wish list is the other way around. Send the GPSr data to the program for instant entry of a location.

Has to be for a MAGELLAN though...... B)

Edited by Rosco Bookbinder

105mm Redleg,

GPXSonar currently exports waypoints to Magellan Meridian GPSrs because these units support SD cards. I have no problems adding support for the Garmins and other brands as long as I know what protocol they use. If you can give me some more info on that and test it for me (I don't have a Garmin supporting a memory card), I'll be glad to add the feature.

Let me know.

Regards,

Fabien.