Need Another GPSr ASAP

Greetings everyone.

My son called from Iraq last night to wish us all a Merry christmas. In speaking with him, I learned that he had ANOTHER GPSr destroyed in combat. It still turns on, but the screen is busted. He is sending it to me to download his track data. Seems it got busted while patrolling a wadi in a rainstorm.

I need to get him yet ANOTHER GPSr. He had and likes the Venture. I offered him my Vista, but the 11.5 hour battery life is too short he says. The PX no longer has the Venture, but does have the Legend. Can someone tell me the approximate battery life and on what battery the Legend has?

I should buy stock in Garmin! Interestingly enough, he said NO MAGELLAN. The soldiers don't like anything French or German. :mad:

Appreciate any input. Thanks.

:mad:

Hello and Merry Christmas..

Go with a Legend, it gets about 16 hours on the batteries and more if you turn the WAAS off when you do not need it. Good luck getting one quickly as Garmin is out of them until Jan 21, I was expecting a shipment but they are on backorder. This may just be the Bilingual version though.

Please pass on a BIG THANK YOU to your son. I for one am very grateful for his work and dedication for both your country and ours, your son is keeping our children safe.

Merry Christmas from our little family to yours. Best wishes,

Pete & family

I get 20 to 30 hours on 2 AA batteries in my Legend, I always have WAAS off.

I use the venture (when the wife doesn't steal it) I haven't had to change batteries all week...

I wouldn't mind upgrading to the Legend, I just won't tell the wife I have another GPS... :mad:

I'm interested in the battery life question also, anyone have an answer?

Deaf, dumb and blind smurf! :D

:mad:

Good luck getting one quickly as Garmin is out of them until Jan 21, I was expecting a shipment but they are on backorder.

The PX on Ft. Bliss had several in stock last week, and I seem to remember the price was aroung $150 +/-. Looks like I will visit the PX tomorrow and see.

Thanks for the input Y-all.

This is getting expensive, it is his 3d GPSr in 9 months. Plus a watch, camera, CD player, several pairs of headphones, SW radio... being a scout in the cavalry is tough duty - tougher on equipment.

It sounds like your son is a little rough on gear! I know how it is which is why I use my 12XL for military ops. I carry it in an old magazine pouch on my pistol belt and have never had a problem. I have a Legend but it just doesn't seem as durable. I know that batteries are always hard to come by especially after everybody in supply takes theirs off the top! You might try these two items if your son patrols in a HMMWV or other vehicle. I suggest the inverter that hooks directly to a battery since military vehichles don't come with cigarette lighters :mad:

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/22157.1....48/accigadapter

http://www.gpscity.com/gps/brados/22157.4....IGAC300INV.html

I have ordered these for my upcoming trip to the sand box. I have delt with this company before and they are very quick to ship the order.

Edited to correct my spelling :D

Edited by 105mm Redleg

First of all, THANK your son from your extended-geocaching family! We appreciate what he and the other fine people are doing to protect us all.

Now, about the GPSr's.... the Legend should go 18-20 hrs. with WAAS off from what I understand. To be honest, I have not tested mine. He needs a rugged case of some type to store his GPSr in -- but of course you are limited to what you can use to get a signal through!

I will look around on the web for rugged cases for him....

Bozz

Only hook the cables up to one battery - a lot of people think that the batteries produce 24v each but I have never seen anything written on them to indicate this. Military vehicles themselves (electrical/starters/glow plugs) run on 24v. I know that radar shelters for AN/TPQ-36 & 37 radars have regular western plug ins but I wouldn't want to plug anything with moving parts into them since they are putting out 400hz (the speed of the current fries motors and causes premature wear in electrical devices not designed to run at 400hz) even though the voltage is only 12 or 24. I am not an expert but even if the batteries put out 24v to the inverter, it shouldn't have any negative effect. My cousin is currently using the same set up in the sand box with the 4th ID and hasn't had a problem since he arrived! If I get there and find out that there is a problem with the setup, I'll simply make him regret ever being born - RHIP B)

AGAIN: I am not expert on electronics and despite more mile/hours in military vehicles than I care to remember, I only break them, I don't fix them :unsure:

Edited by 105mm Redleg
Only hook the cables up to one battery - a lot of people think that the batteries produce 24v each but I have never seen anything written on them to indicate this.

If there are two batteries in series and you connect to only one then I'd think that would be 12V and you're good to go. :unsure: That probably makes sense since 12V are easy to come by. I'm not sure about 24V ones.

I am not an expert but even if the batteries put out 24v to the inverter, it shouldn't have any negative effect.

100% overvoltage will have a real bad effect on anything not designed for it.

Using vehicle power is OK for his mounted patrols. But much of what he does is dismounted. A vehicular size 12 volt battery is way too much to backpack on patrol.

Rino was discussed, but the radio is neither needed or desired, just an additional drain on the battery. Yes, even if you do not talk, the RX is still drawing current.

Since this is his 3rd GPS in this war, he is now considering the Yellow E-Trex. At $90 in the PX, it is a throw-away item. His tour is over in april or may, just about the time I will be selling my almost new Vista to get a GPS-MAP 60CS.

One note for you mil-types. If there is ANY CHANCE AT ALL of the 12 volt item you are powering in your mil vehicle coming into contact with chassis ground, BE CERTAIN that you are using the lower 12 volt battery (the 0 - 12 volt). If you attach the item to the upper 12 volt (12 - 24 volt) battery, and then ground the item (like a CB antenna) you will be putting the lower 12 battery direct to ground. If you are real lucky, you blow some fuses. Bad luck, you burn up your item. Real bad luck, you explain to the CO why your vehicle was destroyed in an electrical fire. Note.... if the + terminal is jumpered to the - terminal of the next battery, that + terminal is the place to put your + wire.

:o

Since this is his 3rd GPS in this war, he is now considering the Yellow E-Trex. At $90 in the PX, it is a throw-away item.

Probably a good idea. Either that or the Camo unit that looks more "military" for about $10 more. If he doesn't have any maps, there isn't much of the way of added features he needs unless it's the compass.

I'm not sure what others where thinking about with the HMMV battery, but some rechargeables and MAHA charger would be small and keep him well stocked with battery power.

Rino was discussed, but the radio is neither needed or desired, just an additional drain on the battery. Yes, even if you do not talk, the RX is still drawing current.

Not true!! There are extensive menus and options on the Rino. You can turn off the radio function completely to extend the battery life. The radio and GPS functions have seperate options so technically you could use the thing as a clock and have it run for days.

Manual-------

Battery Life: GPS only - up to 28 hours; FRS only - up to 20 hours; FRS and GPS - up to 15 hours.

Plus he may not have a use for a radio on patrol, but when he comes home he may have a use for it. Plus it uses the same frequencies as all FRS radios. My Rinos work with my Cobra microTALK 2's.

Tell your son thanks for what he's doing....You may want to buy your next Garmin GPS at BestBuy, and get the walk-in replacement warranty, and any time you break your GPS just take it back and they will replace it

Edited by Jim W