I Give Up - Newbie Can't Figure Out The "r"

YMark

I stumble across this site via Google when I was looking for advice on a GPS unit to use in my truck. I ended up with the Garmin 2610.

I've continued to lurk at this site and now I'm thinking of picking up a Legend. I've read a bunch of info and one thing I haven't been able to figure out is, what in the world does the "r" stand for when people use the acronym GPSr?

Thanks for answering this :mad: 's question.

I stumble across this site via Google when I was looking for advice on a GPS unit to use in my truck. I ended up with the Garmin 2610.

I've continued to lurk at this site and now I'm thinking of picking up a Legend. I've read a bunch of info and one thing I haven't been able to figure out is, what in the world does the "r" stand for when people use the acronym GPSr?

Global Positioning System Receiver :mad:

:mad:

QUOTE (ironman114 @ Dec 25 2003, 01:27 PM)

GPS is, global positioning sattelite. The r stands for receiver. Alot of people just drop the r.

The sattelites are in orbit, the receiver is in your hand. 

I slid down a steep hill after doing the Salute to Batman cache. Then my GPSr and my arse were in orbit. 

My daughter pulled the same stunt today here in Ontario at The Tall Trees in Peter's Woods. She is 20 yrs. old so she jump back to here feet and did the "oh my God did any of my friends see that" look and expression on her face. I told her not to worry we were 2 miles in the woods and no t.v. so she was safe. :D:D

The S in GPS stands for SYSTEM

As in GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM

In searching the DOD (Dept. Of Defense) website there is no mention of an R when speaking of the GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM. So it seems that the receiver in your hand is part of the system and there is no need to use an R.

"S" for System, I'll go along with that. The System comprises the Space segment (the satellites), the control segment (the people who control it) and the User segment (that's all the users with their trusty GPS receivers :mad::D )

Cheers, Kerry.

If the satalites send a signal, doesn't something have to receive it? If the answer is yes, I would assume you need a receiver. I always include the 'r' when refering to my GPSr.

Rich

P.S.- I've also heard the term; Global Positioning Satalite Receiver

Do you call your car radio a receiver?

How about your television?

Cell phone? I guess it would be a transceiver, no?

The S in GPS stands for SYSTEM

As in GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM

In searching the DOD (Dept. Of Defense) website there is no mention of  an R when speaking of the GLOBAL POSITIONING SYSTEM. So it seems that the receiver in your hand is part of the system and there is no need to use an R.

"S" for System, I'll go along with that. The System comprises the Space segment (the satellites), the control segment (the people who control it) and the User segment (that's all the users with their trusty GPS receivers :P:o )

Cheers, Kerry.

Uh Hemm, not to stir the pot but what about the stationary ground units used in the WAAS?

Maybe a link to one of the DoD documents on the GPS will help clear this up.

Global Positioning System (GPS) performance standard

"1.4 Global Positioning System Overview

Sufficient information is provided below to promote a common understanding of the nominal GPS

baseline configuration. The GPS baseline system is comprised of three segments, whose

purpose is to provide a reliable and continuous positioning and timing service to the GPS user

community. These three segments are known as the Space Segment, Control Segment, and

User Segment. The User Segment is comprised of receivers from a wide variety of U.S. and

international agencies, in addition to the growing private user base."

Nope they don't mention "r", but they do mention "receivers" as being part of the system.

I do agree the "r" isn't really needed, but it isn't wrong, just because the document you reference spells out receiver.

I think everyone has done a pretty good job of answering this question.

Now I wonder what YMARK has to say about all the responses.

As a newbie were these responses helpful, overwhelming, or just argumentative in your opinion.

I'm curious how new ones feel about asking questions in the forums.

YMARK please feel free to respond here.

I think everyone has done a pretty good job of answering this question.

Now I wonder what  YMARK  has to say about all the responses.

As a newbie were these responses helpful, overwhelming, or just argumentative in your opinion.

I'm curious how new ones feel about asking questions in the forums.

YMARK please feel free to respond here.

I have to admit, I never thought my simple question would generate so many responses. That being said, I'm a member of several other forums (Porsches and photography) and am used to these types of "discussions".

My question was definately answered and all of the responses were helpful. I think a good healthy discussion in which people voice their differences without getting personal is beneficial to all.

My personal opinion is that the "r" is not really needed. When someone says they have a "GPS" or something is equiped with a "GPS", it is usually assumed that they are talking about a "receiver". Without a receiver, you don't have a "system".

This has been an interesting discussion, I'm glad I asked the question.

Uh Hemm, not to stir the pot but what about the stationary ground units used in the WAAS?

That's ok. "The Stationary ground units used in the WAAS" are not part of the Global Positioning System but a WADGPS (Wide Area Differential Global Positioning System) augmentation system and as such is provided and run by a third party who totally rely on GPS itself, GPS doesn't rely on WAAS. WAAS is also by no means "Global", actually far from it.

The only time the DoD would get interested in WAAS (and not directly from the control segment either) is if WAAS had to be put into emergency military mode, in other words shutdown.

Cheers, Kerry.

Edited by Kerry.

Is GPS Global Positioning System, or is it Global Positioning Satellite, or maybe it's Global Positioning Sender, which would explain why some feel more comfortable referring to the piece in their had as a Receiver. Then again, because the Receiver actually provides information which Sends me to a specific destination, perhaps the Receiver is actually a Sender, or maybe a Receiver/Sender, in which case my GPS that used to be a GPSr is now a GPSrs. Perhaps the term "Global" is also incorrect. Maybe it was meant to mean "Geo". Don't ya just love these intellectual discussions.? :o

Edited by gallahad
Is GPS Geo Positioning System, or is it Geo Positioning Satellite, or maybe it's Geo Positioning Sender, which would explain why some feel more comfortable referring to the piece in their had as a Receiver. Then again, because the Receiver actually provides information which Sends me to a specific destination, perhaps the Receiver is actually a Sender, or maybe a Receiver/Sender, in which case my GPS that used to be a GPSr is now a GPSrs. Don't ya just love these intellectual discussions.? :o

Yup, 22 responses just to explain the "r" in GPSr! People will argue anything around here! :P

Since I don't carry the entire system with me I prefer to call it a GPSr. But that isn't correct either since the handheld unit does more then just receive the signals, a rock can receive the signals, it just doesn't process them. I am going to start referring to it as a GPSsp, sp for signal processor, anything but GPS.