Sign in to follow this  
Followers 4
greengolftee87

Frs

I don't usually have mine on when caching alone, but it's perfect for group hunts and events. We used them extensively during a recent cache-a-thon.

Not only did they work well for keeping a caravan of vehicles together from cache to cache, but when we hit a large park with something like 12 caches in it, we split apart into smaller groups to hunt different caches. FRS allowed all the groups to keep in touch and meet back when we were done. Even when caching with just 1 or 2 other people, they still come in handy. I always prefer to find the cache on my own. With the FRS, whoever spots the cache first can discretely wander back to the trail and then let the rest of the losers know I already found it. :unsure:

Yup we are on 2 anytime, also run 146.550 simplex for ham operations. I went to check my cache out and ended up making 14 contacts on frs over 10 miles away. amazing conditions. Thats 440 fer ya..

Only when geocaching with non-hams who use them. Which is not much, really.

I still monitor 146.52 Simplex and the local repeater with the best coverage of where I am going.

Dave_W6DPS

We use FRS with a Radio Shack FRS repeater at our association events. A qrz for two meters had no replies.

We use FRS with a Radio Shack FRS repeater at our association events. A qrz for two meters had no replies.

That's the "polly" simplex repeater? I got one when they were being closed out. I need to fire it up sometime. I think the "echo" style of repeating takes some getting used to.

We use a Rino 110 and also carry a pair of Midland G-300M's ( 3 watt ) radios when out geocaching, its great to let the kids go run and still be able to keep tabs on em :)

I always have my radio set to Ch 2 if I'm geocaching but I never met any other cacher this way. But maybe so day I will have sucess?

We will randomly while out caching send a quick little message via channel 2

"Anyone Geocaching on FRS/GMRS 2? " - We have ran into a few folks while

out caching using this method.

I usually carry two, monitoring 2 and 12. Never encountered anyone else, or heard anyone else, but you never know...

2 and 12 are the channels most frequently used up/down/over here in Indiana.

Dave of Team Flashncache

I NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT USING MY FRS WHILE GEOCHACHING BUT I DO NOW THANKS TO YOU. I ALSO EMAILED THE CONTACT FOR GEOCACHING WEBSITE. I SUGGESTED THEY POST A MESSAGE ON THE HOME PAGE REGARDING FRS. I THINK IF MORE PEOPLE WHERE AWARE THAT A SPEFIC CHANNEL IS USED FOR CACHE HUNTERS THEY WOULD TUNE IN ALSO. WELL THATS MY IDEA, IF YOU AGREE SEND THEM AN EMAIL ALSO. KB2WDE ( SERGIO)

Edited by SERG312

:unsure: I have a motorola talkabout, and I try constantly on channel 2 but never get anyone. The instruction book says that you have to have the same security settings as all other you are trying to reach. I keep mine at security setting 0 allowing me access to anyone else on channel 2, anyone in SE pennsylvania using these? Edited by programmer64

THATS WHY I THINK IF THE WEB SITE ADVERTISES IT MORE IT COULD ACTUALLY WORK. I ALWAYS LEAVE MY SECURITY SETTING ON 0 ALSO. I THINK TALKING WITH OTHER HUNTERS IN THE AREA WOULD BRING GEOCACHING TO A WHOLE NEW LEVEL OF FUN. I AM IN NORTHERN NJ.

Edited by SERG312

SERG312, please turn off the caps lock. This is a forum, not RTTY. It's harder to read and IT LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE SHOUTING.

Thanks.

Edited by GeckoGeek

Okay sorry about the caps, I'm just so used to always using it. I did not mean to come off like I'm shouting. Thanks for the tip.

yah, that was getting a little annoying

so. . .anybody care to elaborate to a youngin' what a FRS and GMRS (what did he say?). . .i used to have 2 cobras, no idea what those were, i just got rid of my CB in my truck, (quite fun to talk to truckers, ran into an uncle on accident once, but hard to get through small tunnels). . .and i got rid of the cobras and now i got 2 audiovox's with a supposed 5 mile range. . .but i know that's nothing compared to a ham. . .maybe i'll get one of those when i gro up :huh:

--Iggy

anybody care to elaborate to a youngin' what a FRS and GMRS (what did he say?)

FRS - Family Radio Service. These are usually small walkie-talkies that run 1/2W output around the 440MHz. Typically they are rated for "2 miles" with the usual disclaimer. No license is required. 14 frequencies (channels) are available.

GMRS is an older radio service then FRS. A FCC license is required which costs about $75 but covers you and your immediate family. Walkie-talkies run 1 - 2W but you can find as high as 5W in some heaver duty models. At one time you could even run repeaters in this service, I'm not sure what the status of that is now. To add to the confusion, the first 7 channels of FRS are the same as GMRS!

Some cheaper GMRS units are sold in the stores as "5 miles" units. The number of channels varies, I think combo FRS/GMRS run about 21 or so. Because of the way that FRS and GMRS services share some frequencies and the way that GMRS units are sold, I'm convinced that the GMRS license requirement for all practical purposes is unenforceable. I'm just waiting for the FCC to figure that out and act accordingly before I use the GMRS radios I've picked up on sale.

haha, so I apparently have an FRS. . .4 of them actually. And I read above that 2 & 12 are the channels to be on, eh? Oh, well i just turned it on and it's got 22 channels. . .strange. I don't have a license, and I didn't even buy these, haha. Got 'em from my dad's lumber mill. Hrm, well, hope i'm obeying the law. If there are any Cachers from Portland, Oregon that use these i'll make sure i bring one or possibly 2 along next time. See ya guys 'round

If it has 22 channels, most likely the only channels you can use legally without a GMRS license are 8 through 14. In most cases, 1 through 7 are the FRS/GMRS-shared channels, and most radios use more than the 1/2 watt FRS limit, which make them GMRS radios on those channels, for all practical purposes.

Channels 15 through 22 are usually GMRS channels exlcusively.

So that leaves 8 through 14. Not that I think you'd be overly concerned about that. Personally, I bit the bullet when I bought my FRS/GMRS radios and sent in my $75 for a license. I don't know why, there's just something about me that makes me want to obey the law.

haha, so I apparently have an FRS. . .4 of them actually.

I agree with boydg - you probably have a combo GMRS/FRS unit. I haven't kept up with just how they work. Guess I should dig out the instruction manuals. :D

While I do own a few GMRS units, I don't operate them in any GMRS mode. I'm just not one to take chances, but I just don't like giving away $75 when considering the history of CB the fee is likely to go away before I really have a need to operate in the GMRS area. I just couldn't pass up the chance when CompUSA was selling units for free after rebate - or when I saw a 5W model on close out for $30.

Maybe I should change my name to "TechoPackRat".....

Anyway, getting back to the units you have, as I understand it, if your dad has a license then you are covered, but you might want to check first.

Was that 5W model a handheld? What's the brand name/model number?

Indeed it is. It's also a "pro" type unit (meaning if you hit someone over the head with it, you're more likely to break someone's skull then the radio case.) It's intended for business use. It's a 15 channel unit.

Radio Shack, Catalog # 19-903. It must have been discontinued quite awhile ago for the price to drop that low. I searched the website and all I found was a detailed parts list. As luck would have it, I walked into the last store that still had one and it was a the floor demo. But now that you have the catalog number, you can call around and see if anyone has one. I think the original price was more like $150, so I couldn't let it sit there with a $29.97 price tag.

Thanks for the info. My son is a Radio Shack store manager, so I'll bet he can run one down for me...if I can talk him into it. You know how kids are! :rolleyes:

what is the range on one of the 5w models

i have a pair of midland G-227's that boast a 7 mile range

and a motorola talkabout with 2 mile range that i have used at 5 miles

what is the range on one of the 5w models

i have a pair of midland G-227's that boast a 7 mile range

and a motorola talkabout with 2 mile range that i have used at 5 miles

I'm away from the box, but I need to caution that "Miles" is a marketing term that as far as I know has on bases in fact or mathematical theory. I've seen FRS radios that has less then full power still rated a "2 miles". As the 5W unit was designed for business and not consumers, it may not have a mile rating.

However 10 times FRS power is nothing to sneeze at. 10dB is serious improvement in anyone's book. The detachable antenna makes it even better.

Edited by GeckoGeek

Actually the FRS/GMRS radios are using the shared FRS and GMRS channels. The first 14 on your radio you can use without a GMRS license. The last 8 are GMRS only and cannot be used without a license. To make matters worse, maximum allowable power on FRS is .5 watts, BUT if you have a GMRS license, you are allowed to transmit up to 5 watts on ANY of the FRS/GMRS channels.

With all the FRS radios running arouns with NO enforcement and even less consumer awareness, I feel I have wasted paying for my GMRS license for the last 12 years. :unsure:

Eric Hutchins

KG6CTO-AM

KAF1614-GMRS

Actually, on many (if not all) of the FRS/GMRS-combined radios, the first seven channels (the shared ones) usually use a higher power output than allowed on FRS, so in those cases you still need a GMRS license for those channels.