What Do You Carry When Going Geocaching?

geko 201

Well I carry on most trips:

1.Small First Aid kit

2.Notepad

3.Sharpie marker

4.Ball Point Pen

5.AA maglight

6.AAA maglight

7.3-d Maglight

8.Binoculars

9.Matches

10.Nalgene water bottle

11.Cache items

12.Bags for CITO

13.Carribeaners (3x)

14.Rain coat

15.Locking blade knife

16.Backpack

17.Compass

18.Garmin Geko 201 GPSr

19.Beltclip for GPSr

20.Cell Phone

21.Extra AAA batteries (6x)

22.PDA Palm

23.CB radios x2

24.VHF radios x2

25.Am/fm Radio

26.Camera

27. Snacks

28.Cache notes

29.Neck lanyard for GPSr

30.Headlamp

31.CamelBak

32.Pencil

33.Keys

34.Wallet

35.Emergency equipment

36.Maps

37.Leatherman

38.Ziploc bags x 10

39.Hiking Poles X 2

40.Insect Repellent

45.Geocoins

50.Travel bugs

51.String

52.Climbing rope

53.Climbing harness

54.Umbrella

55.Sandals

56.Boots

57.Tent

58. Sleeping Bag

59.Sleeping bag liner

60. Clothes x 3

61.Machete

62.Big red chewing gum

63.Sunscreen

64.Pedometer

65.Small tripod

66.Gloves

That was for summer trips

Winter+

67.Iceaxe

68.Icehammmer

69.Skis/Snowboard

70.Poles for skis

71.Extra clothing

Other

72. Chainsaw

73. Shotgun

74. Flamethrower

75. Grenades

76. Sniper rifle

77. Pepper spray

78. Nuclear warheads x20

79. Ballistic missile x20

For long trips add 20+ items

Edited by geko 201

With the Geko 201, you are right about #21! Batteries, batteries, and more batteries!

Hey to let you know also. We picked up some neck lanyards at target. I have a 201 and we bought my son a 101 for christmas. Picked up a couple of the lanyards and just realized that they say they are for the Rhino's :). But the good news is that I opened the one for me up and it works with the 201 and assume the 101 as well! :) They were like $10 each.

Taurus model 85 .38 Special with 5 rounds of Silver Tip Hollow Points or

Glock 17 9mm with 15 rounds of Black Talon Hollow Point

Edit: Clarity

And you carry these because .... you are caching in Baghdad?

(can't buy those anymore)

Proof, there is a God.

Edit: Clarity, also.

Edited by clearpath

Glock 17 9mm with 15 rounds of Black Talon Hollow Point

And you carry these because .... you are caching in Baghdad?

(can't buy those anymore)

Proof, there is a God.

Edit: Clarity, also.

If you are in an area where marijuana is often grown, being armed when tromping through the woods is not a bad thing. Its not unheard of for hikers to be attacked when they stumbled too close to someones cash crop. Plus they can take care of a rattlesnake quite well.

As for the Back Talons, you can'y buy em now and that seems to keep those who fear guns and base opinis on emotion thinking that somethings been done, in reality they just changed the name and the same product still gets sold today if you know where to look. Of course, the Black Talon was always somewhat overrated, there are much more effective rounds out there, but they didn't have the evil sounding name, so nobody cares about them. After all, its not what it does, but how evil it sounds or looks that scares those who are ignorant on the topic.

But around here, having a .22 on your hip (all that is allowed on game lands in NC when not hunting) is a fairly prudent idea.

For research on what to carry, there's also this closed thread.

Apparently someone didn't like the direction it had headed with all the gun talk....I'm not sure.

As for me, I carry my GPSr, swag, and a .357 S&W Model 19 with 7" barrel and Pachmyr (sp) grips, loaded with hand-load 138 grain hollow points at max power. Don't really need much else. Don't really need the .357, but I like the way it feels on my hip. :mad:

Edited by Sparky-Watts
If you are in an area where marijuana is often grown, being armed when tromping through the woods is not a bad thing. Its not unheard of for hikers to be attacked when they stumbled too close to someones cash crop. Plus they can take care of a rattlesnake quite well.

The last rattlesnakes I killed were about 20 years ago during my college studies in field geology out in Agua Dulce, CA (Tick Canyon). I killed two big southern Pacific rattlesnakes using a forked stick to hold their necks down, then pounding their fat heads into pulpy oblivion with my rock hammer, and finally slicing their heads off with my Swiss army knife. I skinned them both and fried them up in some real butter. Tastes just like chicken. The skin of one still graces my garage wall.

I never carry a gun but I always have my rock hammer for pretty rocks. Rattlesnakes are best left alone to live free and eat rodents.

1.Small First Aid kit

2.Notepad

3.Sharpie marker

4.Ball Point Pen

5.AA maglight

6.AAA maglight

7.2 C Flashlight

8.Binoculars

9.Matches

10.Fruit bars

11.Cache items

12.Bags for CITO

13.Carribeaners (3x)

14.Rain coat

15.Locking blade knife

16.Backpack

17.Compass

18.Garmin RINO 120 GPSr

19.Beltclip for GPSr

20.Cell Phone

22.Gloves

23.Camera

24.Snacks

25.Cache notes

26.Pencil

27. Snacks

28.Cache notes

29.Camera

30.Keys

31.Wallet

32.Emergency equipment

33.Maps

34.Ziploc bags x 10

35.Hiking Poles 1-3

36.Insect Repellent

37.String

38.Climbing rope

The old timer thread got me thinking the other day that some of the best threads (imo) were the ones such as 'whats in your ruck' or 'what do you do once your at ground zero'. Its nice to see this one back.

I used to carry a pack full of stuff with me on all my hunts (that took me away from the parking lot). I almost never do that anymore. Typically, I have belt cases and holsters for my GPSr, pda, cel, and weapon. I'll also have a pen, trade item and bottle of water.

Its funny how people react to 'caching armed' threads.

EDIT: I really need to learn to type

Edited by sbell111

It is fine to list a pistol, knife, mace spray, etc. among the items that you carry with you. But getting into a debate about pro-gun/anti-gun is off-topic to the subject of what to carry with you. Let's keep this one pointed in the right direction as there will be many newcomers in the next few weeks who will appreciate reading the lists being posted here. Thanks.

I think I set a bad example when I first responded to this thread. I poked fun at geko for the things he listed that he carried on cache hunts. I aopologize for that. The things he listed are needed items. Maybe not on a typical cache hunt, but on a backwoods 5/5 I could see the use of the items he has listed.

I for one always carry a backpack with alot of the items listed, no matter how easy the hunt. You never know when it's going to come in handy. A half a mile down a trail with a broke leg or a snake bite might as well be 10 miles.

Once again geko I apologize if I derailed your topic.

El Diablo

I'm assuming by geko 201's edit that they are treating the jabs as humour as well... Ballistic missiles and all! :D

As for on topic, I WISH I would carry pencils and logbooks. The last three caches have needed on or the either! I did just purchase a new fanny pack with a little more room, though on tonights find I'd have liked even a little more room. Maybe then the chainsaw might fit!!! :mad:

edit: tag issues...

Edited by oneeyesquare

Hoping not to Marwell (This thread is a resurection from about 6 months ago). I always bring the following:

1. An extra pair of underwear.

2. Two toothpicks.

3. One nail file.

4. A green electric toothbrush.

5. A used paper plate.

Oh yeah, I also bring a pair of too-short, broken shoe laces.

Edited by Vacman

:mad: Wow! Some of you really go prepared. Some great ideas. Guess I'm a bit more on the simplistic side, and I don't carry a sidearm here since it's not worth the hassle under Canadian regulations.

1. GPSr - Legend

2. topo maps (learned this one the tough way when on a cache that asks you to project waypoints)

3. compass

4. water bottle with water

5. swag (biners, pins, glow sticks, etc.)

6. themed swag (if the cache I've planned to do has one)

7. TBs to drop off

8. TB tags....just in case.

9. extra ziplocs

10. extra logbooks

11. extra pencils

12. a couple sets of GPS food

13. First Aid Kit

14. mosquito repellant

Etrex Legend, water, extra pens, goodies for the cache, batteries, gloves, hat, 2 flashlights, frs radios, snacks, garbage bags, extra ziplock bags, extra leash for Hannibal. Have not really thought about carrying heat because I don't think too many people will mess with me with a 165 pound dog who stands 33" tall at the shoulders! :mad:

Gloves, gloves, gloves. They have been the key to so many finds, even urban micros, feeling around under park benches.

You are so right when mentioning Urban Caches... It's not always a harden piece of gum under the table! I've taken to sneaking a visual scan before reaching around. :unsure:

Unless you have a current tetnis(I'm sure I spelled it wrong) shot, cutting your finger on rusted metal hurts and could cause problems later!

See you out Caching!

Frank

Hi all,

This is at once a response to let you know what I carry somewhat, and a test to see if my new account changes are working. B)

Anyway, on most caches in my area, there's not a high degree of difficulty. For anything up to about a 2.5/2.5, I'll just take my light day pack which has a first aid kit, flashlight, some granola bars or similar sustaining food like objects, a bottle or two of water, and my miscellaneous trinkets and items for trading. Carried with me is my GPS, and a notepad/pen.

There are a few tougher caches, and on those, where extensive hiking (and potential camping) may be involved, I carry a 4000 cu. in. external frame pack, which contains all of the above mentioned items of course, but includes more water (a 2-liter intergrated hydration pack) and more food. Also, I'll bring rain gear, and from now on a small tent, and fleece sleeping bag (Wal-Mart special $15 bucks). As far as weaponry goes, I do carry a largish survival knife, on my belt, and tied to my thigh (Rambo style) B) . Toss in the neccessary fire-starting equipment of choice, and you're set for an overnighter, just in case, but the gear is very carryable, and in a good pack, won't give you any trouble at all.

Oh, and a compass, gloves, and my cell phone. The phone doesn't often work, but you never know.

So there you have it. I may have left something out, but that's about how I cache the Trudger way! :unsure:

--Trudge

Edited by Trudger

I typically have in the back of my jeep the following:

4 quarts water and my REI Alpine (3500ci) backpack.

In the backpack:

1. 2 GPS pouches - just got the super GPS pouch so the other carries spare items on my belt.

2. fanny pack - allows for short run needs

3. binoculars

4. fire tinder

5. matches

6. emergency match holder with compass, signal mirror and whistle

7. lighter

8. first aid kit - heavily modified to meet my needs

9. poncho, large enough to go over the backpack

10. an extra shirt with long sleeves

11. gloves

12. 4-5 power and meal replacement bars

13. a couple of energy drinks

14. pens

15. signature labels and cards

16. extra baggies of various sizes

17. 3-4 cache swag items

18. flashlight

19. glowsticks

20. two 32oz. nalgene bottles - which I'll swap with the bottles of water on short hikes

21. insulated 100 oz. camelbak bladder

22. 1st need water purifier pump in a separate outside pouch - modified to hookup to the hose on the camelbak so I don't have to take the backpack off to refill it.

23. 2 dog leashes for my trusty dog Snickers!

24. treats for Snickers!

25. cloth water bowl for Snickers!

26. palm pilot

27. 100% deet bug repellent

28. snakebite / bug stinger kit

29. sun block

30. cell phone

31. soon to have 2 watt gmrs/frs radio

32. spare knife

33. sharpie marker

34. 50' of rope

35. topo maps of the area

36. spare contact lenses with a bottle of wash

37. 2 emergency milar blankets

38. earmuffs (seasonal)

39. extra batteries

40. and if it is an all day affair, lunch

I also carry on my person, jacket of the season, a hat, sunglasses, a magnetic compass, an electronic compass on my watch, a pocket knife and a pocket pen and of course, my gps. Camera when I can remember it.

I toss my wallet and keys into the backpack just for safekeeping and keep the pockets light.

All told, fully loaded, the backpack comes in at 30 lbs. with the water full up.

Edited by TotemLake

Glock 17 9mm with 15 rounds of Black Talon Hollow Point (can't buy those anymore)

I carry a little S&W .38 that weighs 15 ounces empty.

And a bandaid in case I shoot the wrong guy.

By the time we load up all the stuff for 2 nine year olds I have no room to carry any of my other toys. :unsure:

Boy talk about gearing up! You guys are loaded for bear. In So. Cal. life is a little simpler. I pack a low profile hydration pack with about a quart of water and:

1. Magellan SportTrak Pro

2. Digital camera

3. iPaq Pocket PC

4. T616 cell phone

5. mini binoculars

6. LED headlight

7. glasses

8. granola bars

9. bag of GORP

10. lanyard

11. Leatherman tool

12. cache trade bag-o-goodies

13. trash bag

14. Thomas guide in the car

That's it. Easy life in the Southland. :o

Well I carry on most trips:

1.Small First Aid kit

2.Notepad

3.Sharpie marker

4.Ball Point Pen

5.AA maglight

6.AAA maglight

7.3-d Maglight

8.Binoculars

9.Matches

10.Nalgene water bottle

11.Cache items

12.Bags for CITO

13.Carribeaners (3x)

14.Rain coat

15.Locking blade knife

16.Backpack

17.Compass

18.Garmin Geko 201 GPSr

19.Beltclip for GPSr

20.Cell Phone

22.PDA Palm

23.CB radios x2

24.VHF radios x2

25.Am/fm Radio

26.Camera

27. Snacks

28.Cache notes

29.Neck lanyard for GPSr

30.Headlamp

31.CamelBak

32.Pencil

33.Keys

34.Wallet

35.Emergency equipment

36.Maps

37.Leatherman

38.Ziploc bags x 10

39.Hiking Poles X 2

40.Insect Repellent

45.Geocoins

50.Travel bugs

51.String

52.Climbing rope

53.Climbing harness

54.Umbrella

55.Sandals

56.Boots

57.Tent

58. Sleeping Bag

59.Sleeping bag liner

60. Clothes x 3

61.Machete

62.Big red chewing gum

63.Sunscreen

64.Pedometer

65.Small tripod

66.Gloves

That was for summer trips

Winter+

67.Iceaxe

68.Icehammmer

69.Skis/Snowboard

70.Poles for skis

71.Extra clothing

Other

72. Chainsaw

73. Shotgun

74. Flamethrower

75. Grenades

76. Sniper rifle

77. Pepper spray

78. Nuclear warheads x20

79. Ballistic missile x20

For long trips add 20+ items

And a partridge in a pear tree..... :o

Glock 17 9mm with 15 rounds of Black Talon Hollow Point (can't buy those anymore)

I learned from a friend not to carry firearms into parks. He was jogging and minding his own business when a kid broke into his car and was caught.

The police announced on a loud speaker whould the owner of a 1999 gold colored,

Ford , etc.,please come to the parking lot now. After about a minute of this he heard it came up to the lot ask the police whats wrong and they said his car was broken into. When the cop looked in the car he saw a box of ammo and asked about a weapon. He had it conceled on him, in the mayham he forgot to announce to the cop he had a legal conceled weapon. They got him for a firearm on public property, failure to announce to an officer a conceled weapon and a list of other offenses. The kid was released and not prosecucted, however my friend was, what a justice system.

I learned from a friend not to carry firearms into parks. snip stuff saw a box of ammo and asked about a weapon. He had it conceled on him, in the mayham he forgot to announce to the cop he had a legal conceled weapon. They got him for a firearm on public property, failure to announce to an officer a conceled weapon and a list of other offenses.

Yeah I was just reading this thread thinking to myself "where are these people caching that they can legally carry their guns?" Most caches around here are in county and city parks and as far I know even with a permit you can’t carry your weapon in them. Even though I know many people that do anyway I choose to not too.

But it does bring the argument in whose favor would the law be in? Say you are walking through the park and some thug with a gun jumps out from around a tree with his gun pointing it at you, you draw and give him a double tap. Perp is dead, you shot him in self-defense, but you weren’t supposed to have the gun there to begin with but of course neither was he. So whom does the law favor in this case? The crack head willing to do anything for his next fix? Or the armed citizen, who was minding his own business, has a CCW permit and shoots 200 rounds every other week at the range with the weapon he carries?

In GA you don’t have to inform law enforcement that you have a weapon, of course if they ask it’s a good idea to tell them.

I can only think of one time that I actually took my weapon with me on a hunt and it was in an area that it was legal for me to take it. It was also in a questionable part of Atlanta and I have no clue why the owner picked that area for a cache to begin with!

Glock 23 40 cal with Remington golden sabers, and Federal hydra-shoks

Glock 23 40 cal with Remington golden sabers, and Federal hydra-shoks

LOl I carry a GLock 22 40 cal. with golden sabers and hydra-shoks.

I also carry a, class 3, H&K MP5 SD as backup. ok just kidding about the mp5 but one can hope. :lol:

I also carry a Meridian Platnium, cell phone, pocket knife and pen.

Edited by ChrisCindy
No one has mentioned the "ten essentials" so here they are:

1. Matches

2. Fire starter

3. Map

4. Compass

5. Flashlight, extra batteries and bulb

6. Extra food

7. Extra clothing

8. Sunglasses

9. First aid kit

10. Pocket knife

I have an essential that I don't think was listed before.

Pants.