World's First Geocachers?

GRRRR8!

It occurred to me recently that the Magi were perhaps the world's first geocachers. They followed a signal from the sky that led them to a treasure; left gold, frankincense & myrrh; and took Hope back with them.

Wise_Men.jpg

"...the star, which they had seen in the east, went on before them until it came and stood over the place where the Child was. When they saw the star, they rejoiced exceedingly with great joy. After coming into the house they saw the Child with Mary His mother; and they fell to the ground and worshiped Him. Then, opening their treasures, they presented to Him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh." Matthew 2:9-11

Merry Christmas to you all, and may all of your hunts result in smileys!

This is cool, never thought of it that way before. Technically the sheaperds were there before the wise men -- some say the wise men actually didn't show up until possibly a year or two or more later after the event. At any rate, It isn't documented if the sheaperds left any gifts or any other trade item so now that I think about it -- you're right. The three kings were pretty cool geocachers. Thanks for the thought and Merry Christmas to everyone.

Kirk out.

The three kings were pretty cool geocachers.

Technically, it never says there were THREE wisemen/kings, it just says "the Magi." I don't know, maybe Magi always traveled in threes - who knows?

Nonetheless, hope you enjoy the sentiment and are reminded of the reason for the season!

Steve

(Not a wise man, but have been called a wise guy on more than one occasion...)

This is true.

The number of wisemen is not revealed. Perhaps the tradition of 3 was started because of the number of gifts that they are recorded to have brought with them.

OR: (this just occured to me, hence the edit) It could have evolved because of the numerous and mysterious occurances of the number three in the record of Christ's life within the New Testament (which I suspect is symbolic of the number of days Christ is reported to have spent in Death): 3 lays lost as a child, 33 years old, 3 nails use in crucifixion, to name a few.

Anyway: The original post was a neat little tie in of Geochaching with Christmas. I hope that everyone enjoys (or is enjoying) a blessed celebration of whichever of several faith's seasonal holidays they will observe. May 2004 be a peaceful and happy year for all beings!

Edited by cool_and_the_gang
Technically the sheaperds were there before the wise men -- some say the wise men actually didn't show up until possibly a year or two or more later after the event.

If one believes everything they read on the internet, the explanation for this is simple. The shepherds are my buddies and I provided them with the coordinates before I approved the cache.