Did Geocaching Sprout From Everquest?

Alright, I know... I've read the official statement. "On May 3rd, a container of goodies was hidden by a someone outside of Portland, Oregon" yadda yadda yadda...

Now the truth: One day, this guy was playing Everquest. He had just completed a 19 hour camp that included 4 corpse runs, 1 level demotion, 3 kill steals, 1 run in with a guy named D'Veers, and a bag of loot split 58 ways. Wiping the crust from eyes that hadn't blinked in over an hour he rubbed his hands, trying to bring feeling back into his carpel tunneled wrists. As he sat back he began to think to himself that there must be a better way to spend his time.

The next day at work, after being written up yet again for saying "/bonk" to his boss, he realized this has gone to far. He asked himself, what is it I like best about EQ? Is it the scenery? Is it the quests? Is it the endless travel running around looking for a dadgum piece of useless junk?

And then, it hit him. "LOL!" he exclaimed "BRB AFK" was all that was heard as he ran out the door.

Today, we now have the result of his epiphany. We now have a quest system that doesn't stink. One where, when we find a broken part, we have the power ourselves to either fix it, or inform those who can, and we actually get a response! We now have stars that tell us how hard it will be to find that useless piece of junk! Never again must we sit in one spot playing "/gems" for hours on end waiting for the spawn! Free we are! Free!

That man's name is unknown. Some say it is Jabar, other say it is Owoomp. Still others think he was some sort of priest of discord. Regardless, his legacy is geocaching. I thought you should know.

Edited by CacheCreatures
yadda yadda yadda...

Now the truth: Wiping the crust from eyes that hadn't blinked in over an hour

The next day at work, after being written up yet again for saying "/bonk" to his boss,

Today, we now have the result of his epiphany. useless piece of junk! Never again must we sit in one spot playing "/gems" for hours on end waiting for the spawn! Free we are! Free!

Some say it is Jabar, other say it is Owoomp.

I say it sounds like you've finally harvested your patch of killer skunk weed. ;)

I'm with 9key on this. This is way over the top of my head. I guess I'm like the waitress at a party I was at the other day. She came by with a plate of scallops wrapped in bacon. As I reached for one, I asked her if they were kosher. She gave me

a very puzzled look, then said "I'll have to go ask the chef". Waaay over the top of her head ;)

yadda yadda yadda...

Now the truth:    Wiping the crust from eyes that hadn't blinked in over an hour

The next day at work, after being written up yet again for saying "/bonk" to his boss,

Today, we now have the result of his epiphany.  useless piece of junk!  Never again must we sit in one spot playing "/gems" for hours on end waiting for the spawn!  Free we are!  Free!

Some say it is Jabar, other say it is Owoomp.

I say it sounds like you've finally harvested your patch of killer skunk weed. ;)

I see more great one liners.

Hi. I'm a recovering MUD addict.

Hi Jeremy

In one stint in 1991 I spent 18 hours straight in front of the computer monitor. I went as far as becoming an Imp(lementor) of a Star Wars themed mud (JediMUD), with a loving recreation of Mos Eisley. Then came bounty hunter functionality, Jedis gathering equipment to build their own light sabres, space ships, galaxies...

Now I work on a site which has the goal to get you outside. I like it better here.

fwiw, I know someone right now who is lost in the Star Wars Galaxies game. Took her out caching once and she got blisters on both feet, so I guess it's just the way it's gotta be...

-- EverQuest is an online game that simulates (graphically and in other ways) a mythic world. Many people participate, and if you "get it", it can make GeoCaching look like a mere hobby.

I guess I'm like the waitress at a party I was at the other day. She came by with a plate of scallops wrapped in bacon. As I reached for one, I asked her if they were kosher.  She gave me a very puzzled look, then said "I'll have to go ask the chef".  Waaay over the top of her head  :)

You're mean. You hurt her little brain.

Edited by Team Og Rof A Klaw
I'm with 9key on this.  This is way over the top of my head. I guess I'm like the waitress at a party I was at the other day. She came by with a plate of scallops wrapped in bacon. As I reached for one, I asked her if they were kosher.  She gave me

a very puzzled look, then said "I'll have to go ask the chef".  Waaay over the top of her head  :)

Did she ever come back with an answer? I bet you could make a killing with Kosher bacon.....

That man's name is unknown.  Some say it is Jabar, other say it is Owoomp.

Unfortunately, I know exactly what this guy is talking about. Played EQ for a little over a year and, luckily, am addicted to geocaching now :)

But I was just wondering what server you played on, Owoomp sounds very familiar to me, and I played on Tarew marr .... oh well, just wondering!

I just had a feeling many geocachers came from an EQ (or similar) background. Something about the two concepts just seem so much the same.

I actually played on many different servers. Oowomp was the big quest ogre in Timorous Deep. He dropped all that chipped bone stuff and the batskull earing. He was perpetually camped. Jabar by the way is what peoples pets always seemed to be named.

Mrs. CC and I are so glad we've become addicted to something far more healthy. Everything EQ wasn't for us (or for that matter TV or other video games), geocaching is.

It's a massive multiplayer online roleplaying game (MMPORG) just do a search at ebgames.com for everquest.

Anyway, I just needed my chance to get a good one liner in here, but sadly I can't think of one. But I forsee in the future people seeing geocaching as an RPG. and soon, we will no longer be geocachers, but green menace ammo can bounty hunters...

Oooh, that sounds fun, we could call it GeoWar.

You place a cache, and then go out and camp by it day in and day out with a paintball gun and try to shoot people as they come near it....

Then and again, that would give my two favorite sports, paintball, and geocaching a bad name...

I'm with 9key on this. This is way over the top of my head. I guess I'm like the waitress at a party I was at the other day. She came by with a plate of scallops wrapped in bacon. As I reached for one, I asked her if they were kosher. She gave me

a very puzzled look, then said "I'll have to go ask the chef". Waaay over the top of her head :lol:

;)

Mine as well whenever I talk about anything Sci-Fi, guns or sports. She does watch football now and we go to see the Titans play so I am greatful for that. She even watches football now even when I am not there. ;);)

Your wife discovered the guys wear tight pants, bend over a lot, and are built. Don't get too excited about her "progress". :lol:

Mine as well whenever I talk about anything Sci-Fi, guns or sports. She does watch football now and we go to see the Titans play so I am greatful for that. She even watches football now even when I am not there.  :lol:  :P

Your wife discovered the guys wear tight pants, bend over a lot, and are built. Don't get too excited about her "progress". ;)

She watches hockey with me as well. So is ice sexy? ;)

Edited by ChrisCindy