The Meter Of Shame

Bob&TheGang

Yeah this thread is NOT a good example of mods derailing a thread.....puh lease!

This one is a great example of a topic that is not for Christmas Day though.

I'm closing it for the day as my gift to all in the forums. I'll reopen it tomorrow.

Take a day off and have some light hearted fun please.

Spend time with your family. Go find a cache or two if you can. :mad:

Alright...now that everyone has had the chance to cool off, let's get the blood boiling again! Who wants to start...? B)

Not me... : :unsure:B)B)

Shattered the maraschino the other day by teasing the humorless, beginning with a minor infraction that others infracted w/o getting rapped. It was an interesting lesson on spiraling retaliation. With a little more professional handling, I'd probably have backed off; instead, Teacher got out the ruler and now that meter can stay red forever AFAIC.

I've actually never seen the bloody warn meters any place but here, and I thought they were humiliating when they first came out. I'm on some of the gunnie boards too (THR, FFF, etc.), under a different alias, and it amazes me how they keep order with just as many members as Groundspeak and without the spiral of negative psychic energy, or warn meters either for that matter. Maybe because an armed society is a polite society. B)

IIn any case, I gave it some thought, and decided that I have too little time left on earth to waste it in useless bboard squabbles.

Edited by Team Og Rof A Klaw

you know, I was going rejuvenate this thread yesterday, but I decided otherwise.

Team Og Rof A Klaw, I agree somewhat. I beleive the ability to warn is great. The meters, I really have no opinion either wise on those. I don't think the meters are childish themselves. Perhaps some of the acts that contribute to them appearing are more childish than anything else. One shouldn't even worry or be offended by a little graphic. Consider it a guide. If you don't do anything to attribute the meter, then why worry about it?

These meters are such a good idea we should have one for cache maintenance. If you don't you get warned and if you get 100% you can't list caches here anymore.

We can also have one for your logs. Bad logs that don't meet guidelines similar to forum guidelines get warnings too.

Oh and cache listings, Can't have racial slurs, lets put a listing warning also.

There is a lot of potential here.

Mostly for abuse, and mostly to make everyone wonder what the heck the site is thinking, but lets look at the positive and ponder universal implementation!

I like where you are going with this RK.

How about meters on the backs of cars, that way we will all know who the #%$@& bad drivers are.

How about on the check out lanes at the grocery. So I can tell ahead of time that there is a reason this line is almost empty. Who puts a mathmatically challenged foriegn exchange student with no depth perception and 1 arm in a cashier position?

A meter at the 1 hour photo place....next time they tell me it will be an hour AND a HALF I think my head will explode. Save me the trouble of ruining the envelope, I'll go elsewhere.

A meter at the ATM, so I can see BEFORE I wait in line that it isn't dispensing cash. Of course the einstien in front of me can't read, so he just keeps trying lower denominations while my blood pressure slowly melts away my grey matter.

I envision a world of meters, and it is fine. :unsure:

Edited by Johnnie Stalkers
Another Geocide  :o  Thats sad, he was clever.

Thanks for the nice word, but who said anything about going away? I'm just not going to waste energy polishing that which cannot be polished.

At one time, I was giving serious thought at one point to volunteering my services here. Now there's no way in aitch-ee-double-hockeysticks. I moderated a mailgroup for fifteen years, and I know that the only reason people take on that kind of work is because they love doing it. I knew how to do it without ticking too many people off, a skill which does not seem to be appreciated in these fora (which is why there are an ever-more-burdensome body of rules and behavior control technology.)

I do not want to sign up for any oligarchy. Instead, I'll put my energy where it will benefit me and what I believe in the most. Maybe I'll help to figure out a way to make opencaching work -- as long as I can make a profit from it. :P

(And, BTW, where possible, I'll be giving any new caches I set one week lead time on the N-site in the interest of free trade and competition. Be there or be second to find! :D )

Edited by Team Og Rof A Klaw

(And, BTW, where possible, I'll be giving any new caches I set one week lead time on the N-site in the interest of free trade and competition. Be there or be second to find! :P )

Are you going to do that with your posts also? :o

El Diablo

Aw man ! I swore to myself I wouldn't post to this thread again, only read. Then, the devil caught me.

El Diablo, that was too much. My hats off to you.

I moderated a mailgroup for fifteen years, and I know that the only reason people take on that kind of work is because they love doing it.

Please don't presume to speculate on why I agreed to be a forum moderator, and in return I won't speculate on why you decided to ruin a perfectly nice forum topic with a personal attack. Thank you.

I do not want to sign up for any oligarchy. Instead, I'll put my energy where it will benefit me and what I believe in the most. Maybe I'll help to figure out a way to make opencaching work -- as long as I can make a profit from it. :o

I find it interesting that many of the folks involved with opencaching are the ones that seem to always be stirring up the pot here. Makes me wonder if there is a conspiracy floating about. My feeling is that if you are involved with something else because you don't like this site, then you should put your energies there and butt out of this one. But, then again, maybe it is just my imagination.

I find it interesting that many of the folks involved with opencaching are the ones that seem to always be stirring up the pot here. Makes me wonder if there is a conspiracy floating about. My feeling is that if you are involved with something else because you don't like this site, then you should put your energies there and butt out of this one. But, then again, maybe it is just my imagination.

I think I'm considered to be one of those 'pot-stirrers' you mention. I've only visited the opencaching site once (someone happened to post a link).

I guess I don't fit your stereotype.

I'm not really stirring the pot, I'm just misunderstood.

I think I'm considered to be one of those 'pot-stirrers' you mention.

I'm sure you're not. Like I said it probably is just my imagination.

CO Admin might disagree with that, but like I said, I'm misunderstood :o

you might be suprised Sax

But sparky is right, this thread is drifting away from its intended topic.

Might? :P

Back on topic, my warn meter is still on 10%, although I've been a good smurf for the last week. :o

O.k Moderators...give the little blue guy the benifit of doubt and remove his warning. After all it is the season for giving. If he screws up again we'll take his little horn away.

El Diablo

Might? :P

Back on topic, my warn meter is still on 10%, although I've been a good smurf for the last week. :o

O.k Moderators...give the little blue guy the benifit of doubt and remove his warning. After all it is the season for giving. If he screws up again we'll take his little horn away.

El Diablo

Or we'll tell his wife to take his GPSr away again until next christmas!

BTW my meter is hanging down at 0% lately, not that it really matters in the way that it is being utilized...

...I find it interesting that many of the folks involved with opencaching are the ones that seem to always be stirring up the pot here. Makes me wonder if there is a conspiracy floating about. My feeling is that if you are involved with something else because you don't like this site, then you should put your energies there and butt out of this one. But, then again, maybe it is just my imagination.

I just checked the list of TPTB at opencaching and didn't find a single person stirring up trouble here on the list. Every last one of them pretty much has butted out of geocaching.com's forums and focused on the opencaching network project.

GC.com wasn't the first site, but it became the best site. Anyone who likes this site and would like to see it improve should be willing to step up to the plate and speak their mind. If they really want to see it change they have to be willing to lobby for it. Unfortunately a lot of sycophants seem to derive no greater satisfaction than to poke sharp forum sticks at the hinted at ‘troublemakers’ who take the time to lobby for changes that they feel would make the site better.

It’s not about wanting to go somewhere else, and it’s not about butting out. It’s about getting involved with something you like and trying to make a positive difference. For most the forums are the only means available to do that.

Unfortunately a lot of sycophants seem to derive no greater satisfaction than to poke sharp forum sticks at the hinted at ‘troublemakers’ who take the time to lobby for changes that they feel would make the site better.

Indeed. I've been repeatedly called a whiner for having the temerity to seek improvements using the forums; I have also been brushed off when I have sent sincere offers via email to help make things better. Yet I continue to use the site, to pay to be a premium member, and I have not listed any of my caches elsewhere.

I disagree with you in one way, though; I think "sycophant" is too gentle a characterization. I prefer the term "toady."

Unfortunately a lot of sycophants seem to derive no greater satisfaction than to poke sharp forum sticks at the hinted at ‘troublemakers’ who take the time to lobby for changes that they feel would make the site better.

RK,

I think you hit it on the head with the above statement. "lobby for changes that they feel would make the site better." The key phrase here is what they feel.

The problem is that they lobby for changes that the majority dosen't want, or at least they don't voice that they want it. I would submit that their silence means they don't want it.

There is nothing wrong with offering up new ideas. However you don't have to fight for them to the death. I like your statement about getting involved and trying to make a positive change. I just don't like the way some people go about trying to get it done.

I have a great respect for you and your opinons. I don't believe that change can come about by trying to force opinons. I'm not saying that you are, I'm just making a statement. I would like to see everyone offer up positive changes and then let the majority decide if they want them.

El Diablo

Really just to bump this topic, but I thought the idea above about putting a meter at the grocery check out lane ranking the cashiers IQ was brilliant. Oh, wait that was MY idea. Look at that a shameless self promotion of ideas. Does that make me a pot stirrer too?

Hey, I used to be a cashier! I could give you names of those that you don't cashiering for you... :unsure:

I would like to see everyone offer up positive changes and then let the majority decide if they want them.

Whatever gave you the idea that what the majority wants makes any difference here? Although I personally don't want detailed statistics, it is abundantly clear that the vast majority of those who post in the forums do, and yet they aren't available, are they?

Geocaching is not a democracy. It's a business.

...The problem is that they lobby for changes that the majority dosen't want, or at least they don't voice that they want it. I would submit that their silence means they don't want it...

At any given time only 5% of us are engaged on an issue. What that means is that 95% of us are busy working, taking care of sick kids, having a little fun, or just trying to get through life in general.

5% are worked up over something and want to get involved and make things happen. A small percentage of those who are engaged are worked up over geocaching and work towards making it better. That 95% really doesn't care enough one way or the other on the issue to make an effort. If they did they would join the 5% and do something or say something.

You can't count the majority as for, or against, anything if you can't get them engaged enough to offer an opinion. That makes it so that decisions and issues are decided by the few who are interested. They alone make the effort. That is the way it is, and has always been. It is also how this site started. Jeremy saw geocaching and stepped apart from the 95%. He became engaged. The rest is history.

RK,

I think you hit it on the head with the above statement. "lobby for changes that they feel would make the site better." The key phrase here is what they feel.

The problem is that they lobby for changes that the majority dosen't want, or at least they don't voice that they want it. I would submit that their silence means they don't want it.

There is nothing wrong with offering up new ideas. However you don't have to fight for them to the death. I like your statement about getting involved and trying to make a positive change. I just don't like the way some people go about trying to get it done.

I have a great respect for you and your opinons. I don't believe that change can come about by trying to force opinons. I'm not saying that you are, I'm just making a statement. I would like to see everyone offer up positive changes and then let the majority decide if they want them.

El Diablo

i don't look at bringing up ideas in the forums or talking about things as lobbying. Perhaps from time to time TPTB see things they think are good ideas and implement them, but I wouldn't refere any discussion here on the forums as lobbying. By saying that the majority doesn't want is false. How would you know that the majority doesn't want it or think it's a good idea? You are going only after what maybe the majority that have spoken on it want. It's not a scientific poll as Jeremy would say. And just because people don't say anything don't mean they don't agree. That's kind of mob type of attitude about it. Kind of like when the mob threatens (not directly neccessary) others and keeps them quiet. A lot of people are afraid to give an opinion either way, because they are afraid of the backlash, don't want to look associated with one side or the other, or don't care enough either way.

As far as "fighting them to the death". Well I think it depends on which side of the cause you are on whether or not it appears that way. I stand up for what I believe in or what I construe as a good idea. I debate the issue. I give rebuttals. If I don't back down or change my way, then I guess I am 'fighting to the death" or "beating a dead horse". The neat thing about the forums is that just as easy that it is for those people who don't respond, topics can be overlooked and not even read....But a person who responds in a posting saying that the person is complaining, beating a dead horse and etc, is no better a person than the person debating. Actually that tells me that they are getting frustrated or wearing down, both a sign of weakness.