The Meter Of Shame

Bob&TheGang

Did I read that right?

As far as what J said above it does really sound like everyone is asking for more rules. I think if that happens then things are going to continue to get uglier than they already are and thats just said. I think everyone should re-think what is being asked for.

I just wanted to make it perfectly clear....

I am asking for LESS rules and moderation!

Since more rules and moderation is the result of this nebulous person called "everyone", I am making my own wishes crystal clear.

Any one else want to distinguish themselves from "everyone" and declare

exactly what their wishes are????

Woodsters, my eyes are getting old. Could you please start thinking in paragraphs rather than chapters? :)

Everyone keeps bringing up the speeding tickets as examples. Well if you get a speeding ticket in Florida...it's a thank you and have a nice day. Parts of Alabama, Georgia & Louisiana...you may never be heard from again.

El Diablo

Rules...hmm...

Don't post off-topic unless you're a moderator

blah

blah

blah

I think its been said that OT is not so bad as long as its not to intentionally derail a thread and that its not done in a way to flame or be nasty to someone.

Heh, quoting myself. (I love it)

I guess the other thing that I read there is that even though we have all had some fun in threads together being OT you don't want that to happen anymore and that no desecration should be used with OT posts.

Did I read that right?

As far as what J said above it does really sound like everyone is asking for more rules. I think if that happens then things are going to continue to get uglier than they already are and thats just said. I think everyone should re-think what is being asked for.

Isn't that how all this came about in the first place?

No, what I'm asking for is consistency. If the mods are allowed to post off-topic, the rest of us should be able to.

Should one thread talk about 3 things or should we have 3 topics? I don't mind having 3 topics in one thread, usually one will emerge as the new topic, derailing the original, so to speak.

One of the big problems about derailing threads is that everyone's afraid of starting a new topic to discuss the other ideas that sprout up. Those new topics aren't necessarily about Geocaching, but both starting a new thread to discuss them and continuing to discuss them in the same topic are not allowed. One is viewed as starting an off-topic thread, the other is viewed as derailing a thread.

I think you should add kentucky, arkansas, west virginia, etc...to that list.

umc...you're a dreamer....if it could be that way, it would be right now. But of course when you get so many people on many different wave lengths together for a common purpose, then you have to have some sort of medium to maintain the peace and especially sanity. Many families with only a couple of kids can not live in peace without boundaries and then not even then. There's no difference here.

Rules...hmm...

Don't post off-topic unless you're a moderator

blah

blah

blah

I think its been said that OT is not so bad as long as its not to intentionally derail a thread and that its not done in a way to flame or be nasty to someone.

Heh, quoting myself. (I love it)

I guess the other thing that I read there is that even though we have all had some fun in threads together being OT you don't want that to happen anymore and that no desecration should be used with OT posts.

Did I read that right?

Isn't that how all this came about in the first place?

No, what I'm asking for is consistency. If the mods are allowed to post off-topic, the rest of us should be able to.

Should one thread talk about 3 things or should we have 3 topics? I don't mind having 3 topics in one thread, usually one will emerge as the new topic, derailing the original, so to speak.

One of the big problems about derailing threads is that everyone's afraid of starting a new topic to discuss the other ideas that sprout up. Those new topics aren't necessarily about Geocaching, but both starting a new thread to discuss them and continuing to discuss them in the same topic are not allowed. One is viewed as starting an off-topic thread, the other is viewed as derailing a thread.

Another thing to consider is that mods can go back later and delete their post.

This post by Bug&Snake doesn't make sense now that CO has deleted his post, which preceded it.

Ditto on Sax's last post. It's not about adding rules, but having a consistent way of moderating. There are only 4 or 5 moderators in this area, but yet there are 2 or 3 different ways of moderating. Mulitply those numbers by the thousands for the people using the forums. It's much easier for a few to be consistent than to have thousands stay consistent and within the boundaries.

We can also delete ours...right?

El Diablo

Why delete it?

Because you may say something that you later decided not to post. I don't know about everyone else, but there have been many times in my life that I've said something I wished I could take back.

Of course it may just be my flawed personality. :)

El Diablo

We can also delete ours...right?

El Diablo

Why delete it?

Because you may say something that you later decided not to post. I don't know about everyone else, but there have been many times in my life that I've said something I wished I could take back.

Of course it may just be my flawed personality. :)

El Diablo

That's why I quote people when replying to them. They cant take it back!

I'll usually remove offending words if I see them, or edit it for brevity, but otherwise the whole text is there for all to see.

I don't think he was mentioning about typing something and posting it and then immedicately saying, I shouldn't of said that or I didn't mean it that way. I believe we are talking about a time period later. I don't see the reason to post something and then go back remove it completely. You can always later in the post say that you didn't mean that or even add an edit to the post that you want to amend it. But it does ruin a process of someone reading a thread and trying to follow along. When you have all these deleted posts, it amkes no sense.

My first thoughts are usually the funniest in my opinion. But they can also be the harshest or most likely to offend. I delete more before posting than I post, and some I delete shortly after. Soon after I started reading the forums someone made a statement that really lit my fuse and I posted a rather lively response. I then went back and re-read what they had written and realized I had completely misunderstood his statement. I deleted the content of my post. My fuse is getting longer, but I'm still a smart a&&. :)

I sphereheaded getting the California Geocoin designed and produced.

Sphereheaded? Is that a round-about way of saying you led a roundtable commission? Or is that just circular reasoning? :)

Actually, I'd have to get my warn-meter up before I can do something to make it come down. But I've always been a good widdle boy.

Edited by xenophon10k

From my point of view, a lot of the angst could be settled by moderation...

Not by the folks associated with geocaching.com, but by all of us. Going off-topic once in awhile isn't a big deal. Going off-topic in every thread, and starting scores of new off-topic threads is. The occasional 'adult' word or phrase that you might hear on prime-time TV won't upset most folks, but a string of profanity isn't appropriate.

The tricky part, of course, is figuring out where the line is. Perhaps instead of trying to push the limits so often, we could all try backing away from where we think they are (or should be) and post more moderate responses. Ones that still say what we wish, but without tweaking any noses in the process.

This doesn't mean we can't disagree; we just need to do so politely. It doesn't mean we can't go off-topic, but we could try doing it only once in awhile. It doesn't means we have to accept every decision by Jeremy, Hydee, or the approvers, but we can express our feelings without attacking them.

Unfortunately, matters have progressed to the point where a few individuals who have no interest in civil discussion have required heavier and heavier control, and for consistency sake that same control has fallen on the rest of us as well.

Clearly, there's been recent attempts to back off on some of the more heavy-handed control by the Moderators, but the same people who required it earlier are again trying to push the limits of the site. At the same time, efforts to lighten the mood by Jeremy and some of the moderators have been meet with complaints about consistency.

Perhaps instead of complaining, we could follow their examples. Be silly, but in moderation. Go off-topic, but rarely. Tell someone you think they are wrong, but civilly. And when the jerks once again try to screw up the forums, don't join in. Ignore the trolls, and support only the folks worthy of your time, effort and opinions.

From my point of view, a lot of the angst could be settled by moderation...<snip>

The tricky part, of course, is figuring out where the line is. <snip>

This is exactly what many people have been trying to get across here.....exactly where is that line? By asking for consistency, we are asking for a better definition of that line, and better knowledge of what will happen to us if we do cross it.

Perhaps instead of complaining, we could follow their examples. Be silly, but in moderation. Go off-topic, but rarely. Tell someone you think they are wrong, but civilly. And when the jerks once again try to screw up the forums, don't join in. Ignore the trolls, and support only the folks worthy of your time, effort and opinions.

Exactly

This is exactly what many people have been trying to get across here.....exactly where is that line? By asking for consistency, we are asking for a better definition of that line, and better knowledge of what will happen to us if we do cross it.

Why does a line need to be defined just so you can decide if you want to cross it or not? Don't we all know well enough that we don't need these things defined? I know well enough that I can't go into a public place and start assaulting people. Is it me?

And my question is, why do you want to know?

You know where it isn't. Stay away from the edge. Make your points, express your opinions without trying to cross it.

If you need a rule of thumb, discuss issues as if your grandmother is reading them. Better yet, as if my grandmother was reading. (No insult to you or yours, but perhaps your progenitors were in the merchant marines or something...)

I don't see it all as a line in the sand. We all know what should not be posted. People go beyond that. I believe they know what is acceptable on that part. But I would like to see more consistency in the moderating part. You can do the same thing on two different days with 2 different moderators seeing it and get 2 different responses. Heck you might not get a response out of 1 of them at all. The moderators all moderate in their own styles and ways. When that happens you get angry people. Not only are they confused why they could do something before, but not now (not ot include seeing a moderator do the same thing). They also point fingers. They start seeing or thiinking that some are getting off easier than others. Make the things more consistent and the punishment more consistent. I've not been warned or have had a problem. But I can see what goes on and of course hear it as well.

When I worked for the Feds, we had this chick that started working after me. Maybe a couple months after me. She came in like a lion. Writing everything up, yelling, and being a hard a**. She became a joke. It got to the point that inmates would come up to me and say Mr Wood, that lady is crazy. I knew it, I saw it. My response like every other coworker of hers (even the superiors), was "she's doing her job. We had 1 yr probationary periods. The day before hers was up, they terminated her. They had it planned that way from about 3 or 4 months into her probationary period. She didn't fit in with the smooth running of the institution and was not consistent with us or even with herself. Caused too much ruckus. That goes anywhere. You want a smooth running machine with the least amount of problems. Sometimes you need to step back and take a look at the "jagged edges" and what's causing them and do what you need to do to ensure a medium where both sides can operate and get along with, with maintaining that certain level of respect.

This is exactly what many people have been trying to get across here.....exactly where  is that line?  By asking for consistency, we are asking for a better definition of that line, and better knowledge of what will happen to us if we do cross it.

Why does a line need to be defined just so you can decide if you want to cross it or not? Don't we all know well enough that we don't need these things defined? I know well enough that I can't go into a public place and start assaulting people. Is it me?

You missed the point, UMC. We're not looking for a rule on 'how much can I attack someone and still get away with it' I think we all agree that attacking others is bad and should be dealt with by the moderators.

Same goes for profanity. Either **** it out or don't use it.

What we're concerned with is that it is ok for a mod to make off-topic replies but it isn't ok for the rest or us to do the same thing.

Ha, I missed your point? :mad::D Good, You missed my point.

My point was that everyone should know better therefore no reason for a line or consistency. Your asking for consistency but nobody else is being consistent so how could you ask that of everyone else?

UMC it's easier to get 4 or 5 people (mods) on the same sheet of music than it is thousands of people.

mtn-man, you are right and as others have stated, there is not really a need for the profanity. But, many people do communicate that way. Some people do not like it. And I agree that it doesn't need to be there along wtih other things.

Ha, I missed your point? :mad::D Good, You missed my point.

My point was that everyone should know better therefore no reason for a line or consistency. Your asking for consistency but nobody else is being consistent so how could you ask that of everyone else?

Consistency means what goes for the mods goes for everyone else. Don't gripe at us for going off-topic when the mods do he same thing

Consistency means what goes for the mods goes for everyone else. Don't gripe at us for going off-topic when the mods do he same thing

Is that how real life works? I didn't think so. Since this isn't real life I don't see much problem with what you are saying but I think in the real world that is un-realistic.

UMC it's easier to get 4 or 5 people (mods) on the same sheet of music than it is thousands of people.

Thousands? I want names and numbers!! Maybe you do speak for the masses but I don't see it that way.

I didn't say I speak for anyone else. I said it's much easier to keep a few in a line than it would be to keep thoudands. Thousands referring to the members. Not saying that they all need to be kept in line either. But the amount that do need to be far outweigh the number of mods and that number will grow. But I don't see the number of mods going that high....

This thread is now worthless. Let it rest a few days, enjoy the holidays and come back with new arguments.

Much as I love a good debate there reaches a point where nothing new is to be gained from carrying on the argument. Nobody here is about to score a touchdown. The space in this tread between the end zone and where you are at is called futility!

I'm going to go enjoy a beer and my christmas eve.

This thread is now worthless. Let it rest a few days, enjoy the holidays and come back with new arguments.

Much as I love a good debate there reaches a point where nothing new is to be gained from carrying on the argument. Nobody here is about to score a touchdown. The space in this tread between the end zone and where you are at is called futility!

I'm going to go enjoy a beer and my christmas eve.

You're absolutely right, black bunny! Everyone step back and take a deep breath while you read what I tend to do the best.....tell a little (nearly on-topic) joke.

Since we have used the analogy of being stopped by the police, I'll tell the story my grandad always told when he was a Sheriff.

One night, he was out patrolling the county roads, when he saw a car roll through a stop sign. Of course, being the diligent law officer that he was, he red-lighted them and pulled them over. The young man behind the wheel asked what the problem was. My grandad said,"You didn't stop at that stop sign back there."

"Yeah, but I slowed down, what's the difference?" replied the man.

So, my grandad proceded to pull the man from his car, take out his nightstick and start bashing the guy in the head and face with it. After a short time, he asked the young man, "Now, do you want me to stop, or just slow down?"

:mad::D:D:D:D

You may now return to your regularly scheduled ranting! :D

You're absolutely right, black bunny! Everyone step back and take a deep breath while you read what I tend to do the best.....tell a little (nearly on-topic) joke.

Since we have used the analogy of being stopped by the police, I'll tell the story my grandad always told when he was a Sheriff.

One night, he was out patrolling the county roads, when he saw a car roll through a stop sign. Of course, being the diligent law officer that he was, he red-lighted them and pulled them over. The young man behind the wheel asked what the problem was. My grandad said,"You didn't stop at that stop sign back there."

"Yeah, but I slowed down, what's the difference?" replied the man.

So, my grandad proceded to pull the man from his car, take out his nightstick and start bashing the guy in the head and face with it. After a short time, he asked the young man, "Now, do you want me to stop, or just slow down?"

:mad::D:D:D:D

You may now return to your regularly scheduled ranting! :D

Sparky, you are starting to show your dark side. After reading that last post, all I could think of was Jack Nicholson in, "The Shining". Do yourself a favor, pull your chair away from the computer very slowly. Next, stand up. Now, walk away and give yourself a rest. Then come back whenever the 'redrum' thoughts are gone.

This thread is now worthless.

The understatement of the year.

My wife just offered me one of my favorites -- a double-double martini. I think I might join you RK. Hmmm... should I hold the vermouth?

Keystone's Recipe for the Geocacher's Dry Martini

1. Find a terrain 4 geocache several hundred miles from your house.

2. As your trade item, leave a picture of a bottle of vermouth.

3. Return home.

4. Chill gin in shaker and pour into martini glass.

5. Login to Geocaching.com and call up the cache page of the terrain 4 cache.

6. Wave the martini glass in front of the monitor.

Ok, I see that you both totally missed the point......consistency. A bit of consistency is what is being asked for. I don't know where the line is with one mod compared to another. I'm not considering crossing the line. I just want the line to be consistent! :mad:

<Sigh>

I'm afraid it's not realistic to demand perfect consistency. People are human (how's that for a Yogi Barraism?). But if you don't try pushing the envelope, then it doesn't matter if there's small differences in opinion among the moderators. You won't be anywhere near anyone's 'line'.

Oh, and Team GPSaxophone? While I don't know for sure, perhaps the reason you are seeing more off-topic posts from Jeremy and the moderators recently is that they are trying to lead by example. 'This sort of silliness is okay once in awhile, as long as it doesn't go too far.' Have there been cases when the moderators constantly went off-topic in a thread while at the same time punished other posters for doing the same thing?

When I look at the threads in Geocaching Topics today, I see several off-topic threads. So far none have been shut down. Hopefully none will have to be.

3. Return home.

Thanks KA!

I decided to wave the glass in front of the monitor while your post was on the screen. I figured that would do just as well! I actually prefer three shots of gin and one vodka. Ah yes, but this is off topic isn't it. I will increase my warning meter by 10% to make everyone happy.

I'm glad this topic is winding down for the moment.

This thread is now worthless.

The understatement of the year.

My wife just offered me one of my favorites -- a double-double martini. I think I might join you RK. Hmmm... should I hold the vermouth?

3. Return home.

Hey! KA has a sense of humor! Where the hell did that come from? :mad::D

I wish people would just be good enough word-smiths not to have to use asterisk replaced words at all.

This is where some of the problem comes into play with what and where are the limits. They are different for everybody. Some people get offended at almost anything. I have to think back to the post that had G****** in it. You know you really had to think about it before you saw what the writer may have meant.

It seems OK to say LMAO when someone says something funny but I know some people are going to have a problem if you type out the whole word. Or even if one types a** or something like that. But hey we all have already translated it in our minds. The list of examples can go on forever: BS, LMFAO, etc. I am guessing they are all OK to use. But I would suspect that I could not use the words themselves. Even though we all walk away with the same words in our minds. I just fail to see the difference.

That does not even address the point of different words that mean the exact same thing. Like -- "I fell on my butt coming back from that cache" That would seem to be OK but I think people would have a problem with replacing the word butt with something else.

Then there are the words that I am not sure where they really fall into. We hear them all the time on the radio or TV. But I am going to again guess that many would be offended by them. But a replacement seems to be OK. Something like don't use hell but heck is OK. Or to say a brand of GPSr is a piece of crap, but don't use another word that has the exact same meaning. Or maybe I would say something about the Rolling Stones song B**ch (and the warning meter just went off :mad: ) which gets played countless times a day on the radio. But I will assume is not OK to use here.

I think it would be fair to just say don't use the list of seven dirty words.

But to take a little from George Carlin's routine there -- They are just words. They can't hurt you. They can't make you into a different person. What is the big deal? To quote that phrase that so many others thought was a great idea, "Lighten up Francis".

And sometimes there may be no other word to describe it. Sometimes it is really hot outside. And sometimes it is really f****** hot outside. Of course I meant fudging there. If you took another meaning away from that, that would be your doing not mine.

So have I offended anybody?

3. Return home.

This may be the most brilliant thing I have ever seen on-line, and I spend ALOT of time on-line. Well done KA.

I'm happppy that u r liking my recipees. I drunk tee martoonies my slef this evenin wating for Santa. pasting this ressipe for an even drier martini, whith I save3d earlyer... erlier... early.. b4 when i waws sober.

KEYSTONE'S EXTRA DRY GEOCACHER'S MARTINI RECIPE

1. Find someone on the opposite side of the world and log the "Where's in a Name?" Cache with them.

2. Chill gin in shaker and pour into martini glass.

3. Ask your "Where's in a Name?" partner to spill a drop of vermouth onto a piece of paper, and then fax you the paper.

4. Retrieve fax and wave paper over martini glass.