The Meter Of Shame

Bob&TheGang

Good discussions are easily fostered by simply respecting each other and following the guidelines for these forums.  At this time of holiday reflection and for giving thanks for what we have it might be good to remember that it is best to do unto other people as you would want them to do unto you.  Words to live by.

Pitiful!!! Ridiculous!!!

This topic had taken a turn for the better.

I knocked off of work and went shopping. I come home to this disaster. Outrageous!

I said in another topic that I thought seneca was one of the best on the forums. His arguments express a differing opinion but he does not have to resort to vulgarity and he expresses rational thought in a dignified manner. Some of you need to learn from that.

Some of you need to read my quote as well. If you read it once, read it again.

:)

(Edited spelling errors...)

Edited by mtn-man
Good discussions are easily fostered by simply respecting each other and following the guidelines for these forums.  At this time of holiday reflection and for giving thanks for what we have it might be good to remember that it is best to do unto other people as you would want them to do unto you.  Words to live by.

Pitiful!!! Ridiculous!!!

This topic had taken a turn for the better.

I knocked off of work and went shopping. I come home to this disaster. Outrageous!

I said in another topic that I thought seneca was one of the best on the forums. His arguments express a differing opinion but he does not have to resort to vulgarity and he expresses rational thought in a dignified manner. Some of you need to learn from that.

Some of you need to read my quote as well. If you read it once, read it again.

(Edited spelling errors...)

Are we in school now?

I guess I am trying to teach people to respect each other. I guess it is preaching in a way woodsters. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why people can't be civil to each other. Maybe others could learn from people like seneca and CarleenP if they read their post and tried to reply to people in these forums as they do. I never see them disrespect people here. Too bad others cannot learn from that.

For the record, Hydee warned me for the obscenities I spouted at dasnoop in an email, in response for the rude and threatening tone he used with me for posting an innocent, albeit off-topic, joke in the New Zealand forum yesterday. I'm not upset with Hydee, she did her job. I'm not upset that I was warned. I am, however, upset by the way I was talked to by dasnoop. He acted as if I had busted up his entire soliloquy about "caching in culturally sensitive areas". When I read that phrase, the class clown in me took over, and I said, "What, they don't like ballet or what?". He claimed that he was emailed by several users that were offended by that remark and that they pointed to several of my posts in other forums that were offensive and off-topic, and that was why he deleted my post. Then he went on to threaten me with a warning and/or ban if I did it again.

My personal feelings? Since the mods are always asking us to take our differences into PM's or email, then that pretty much makes them "open battlefields". I will be civil in a PM, as it is part of the forums, however, when I get a threatening letter in my "personal" email box, on my "personal" account, then the gloves are off. A little more respect and tact used in a PM (similar to the way that CO Admin asks me to take it down a notch or two) would have resulted in an apology from me, and perhaps an apology to the NZ forums. But to write that way to my personal email, to me, is unacceptable.

And that's all I got to say about that! :)

I guess I am trying to teach people to respect each other. I guess it is preaching in a way woodsters. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand why people can't be civil to each other. Maybe others could learn from people like seneca and CarleenP if they read their post and tried to reply to people in these forums as they do. I never see them disrespect people here. Too bad others cannot learn from that.

But they are adults (I assume). I don't think that an approach of "this is how you should behave" to an dult is a positive or effective way of trying to get them to do something. Many will take offense to it, as if you are talking down to them. Also I think it's a slap in the face to try and compare them with "ideal" posters on here. That would be like us saying that the moderators could learn a lot from umc's style of moderating. umc moderates pretty well normally and other moderators could learn from that. That doesn't sound too nice to the moderators now does it? Or I should say that some moderators are going to take offense to that. No one likes to be compared to others.

But they are adults (I assume). I don't think that an approach of "this is how you should behave" to an (a)dult is a positive or effective way of trying to get them to do something. Many will take offense to it, as if you are talking down to them.

Actually, it is my experience that children usually act that way.

(Example: If you tell your daughter that she shouldn't date a certain guy for "X" reason, then they usually don't listen and do it anyway. A rational adult usually listens to the advise and will digest it. They may make a decision to "see the girl anyway", but it is usually not just because the other person said not to.)

You and I are having a rational discussion woodsters. I do admire that about you. The posts I saw above are not in the same light as the discussion that you and I are having. Surely you can see a difference. I'm not talking down to anyone. I am just asking that people be civil and respect each other.

You and I are having a rational discussion woodsters. I do admire that about you. The posts I saw above are not in the same light as the discussion that you and I are having. Surely you can see a difference. I'm not talking down to anyone. I am just asking that people be civil and respect each other.

People do get out of line and there's no argument about that. Why not just say "please be civil and respect each other" and not compare them to others. Just as your daughter that you are teaching/preaching to, wouldn't want to be compared to her sister, posters here don't want to be compared to others. Moderate, don't try to teach/preach/change them as it will result in negative feedback. Moderate them and let them make their decisions. Either they will react like an adult and start acting like one or they won't. You can't change a person. They can only change themselves.

As I mentioned in an earlier rant, CO Admin has a calming, gentle way of smacking me upside the head when I need it, and I respect that. Threatening me with warnings and bans makes me lose all respect, and most of my inhibitions along with it. You can correct someone pleasantly, or you can be a jerk and tick people off.

EDIT: The word "jerk" is not a reference to anyone involved in this discussion.

Edited by Sparky-Watts

Actually woodsters that's policy.

Take my warning. What should have happened is the original post would be pasted into my warning zone for reference. Then my warning upped with a note from the mod as to why.

You can call my warning a trial run. The original post was never copied into my warning area and, the only thing that remains is the edited version. Thus no proof but our fallible memories.

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...50entry735649

See if you can even guess what got me in trouble. If you can't neither can the next mod who is looking for a pattern.

Edit fixed URL

Edited by Renegade Knight

I do understand what you are saying about comparing people to others woodsters. I guess I feel that I'm not comparing but rather giving an example of posters that do post in a civil and respectful manner. You can see that I am big on giving examples.

In my opinion you can modivate people to change. That is leadership.

Feel free to report a moderator if you feel you have been treated unfairly.  I hope I have never treated anyone unfairly.
I got (warned) for calling XXXX a hypocrite for handing me a warning for making an "off topic joke the was designed to derail the thread" (I made a comment about the Clapper being a good Christmas gift, after sereously answering a question on a thread), when XXXX was involved in derailing that thread by talking about hamster hiding. I thought it was inappropriate for an admin to warn, delete a post when they were involved in the same thing so I mentioned it. I also reported it and got a ... suspension.

YYYY told me that I violated the user agreement by reporting XXXX for derailing a thread.

Now, why would we want to report moderators if we are treated this way? This may not be the whole story on this example, but it appears that there is some inconsistency in who is allowed to make off-topic remarks.

(Names and dates removed as they are not important to the substance of the allegation)

Feel free to report a moderator if you feel you have been treated unfairly.  I hope I have never treated anyone unfairly.
I got (warned) for calling XXXX a hypocrite for handing me a warning for making an "off topic joke the was designed to derail the thread" (I made a comment about the Clapper being a good Christmas gift, after sereously answering a question on a thread), when XXXX was involved in derailing that thread by talking about hamster hiding. I thought it was inappropriate for an admin to warn, delete a post when they were involved in the same thing so I mentioned it. I also reported it and got a ... suspension.

YYYY told me that I violated the user agreement by reporting XXXX for derailing a thread.

Now, why would we want to report moderators if we are treated this way? This may not be the whole story on this example, but it appears that there is some inconsistency in who is allowed to make off-topic remarks.

(Names and dates removed as they are not important to the substance of the allegation)

Since its not the whole story it serves no purpose. A partial story can be slanted anyway you like.

Since its not the whole story it serves no purpose. A partial story can be slanted anyway you like.

That was pretty much the response I was expecting to hear. No offense, CO, that's just what I figured was going to be the blanket response, regardless of who made it.

I like the warn meters it reinforces the fact that we are adults by it staying  at 0% and have acted like it,  and not trying to be the class clown.

Didn't you retire this account?

I'd like to see the balance between being adults and the class clown go by without the mention of the stupid warn meters. Dang! It's past my bedtime, and I need my blankie..... :)

Oh man, talk about bed times. I'm tired as can be, I've been up hanging out with the inlaws (they are in for the weekend) and my free time was spent wrapping gifts. I'm tired but this darn thread keeps me coming back for more, y'all know how it is.

I have a great idea, lets play that game where the next person after me that posts to this thread has to pay everyone in the thread $5.oo. Its kind of like the game where you try and see who cannot blink the longest or not say anything the longest.

Anyone want to give it a try? (asks question to bait the next poster into paying)

Sparky and many others on these forums add a flavor of humor. While sometimes a certain % of people may find something offensive I feel more often than not the satire, humor, teasing and general smart a**dom contributre FAR more than a clearly hostile post by a select few.

Edited to say: So far I think the mods here (General) do a fine job of moderating. Some Mods seem to think they are the fun police. Take away the fun and you'll be moderating a bridge club forum on yahoo.

Edited by Johnnie Stalkers
I'm not talking down to anyone. I am just asking that people be civil and respect each other.

I am a voyeur of sorts (no not that kind). I like reading all these arguments. At the same time, the best debates are the civil ones. Points are made best when they are well thought out, articulate and (at least fairly) polite despite the disagreement. Arguments on the internet are very common. The very nature of anonymity makes it easy to get out of hand.

I am involved in a couple of other forums. One is an anime forum where people argue over the merits of various shows. At times, they post some really cutting remarks, but always respectful. Lord knows, they think I'm really lame because I like Pokemon! In another forum the people call each other names and are constantly derogatory. Guess which one I like the best? Respect the most? Bother to post in outside of reading? Has the least moderation? Also, what would lurkers think? Here, it tends to be middle of the road, which is to be expected. I'm OK with that. But:

Have some of you felt you were wronged by moderators here? Yes. Have some moderators felt they were doing what they should do for the best of the forum. Yes. Is there some animosity from both sides at times? From what I can see, yes. Regardless, yelling at each other without trying for actual dialog gets everyone nowhere. Personally, I have seen some instances where I felt the moderation was too heavy handed. Other times, I have completely agreed despite the complaints.

So, yeah, I'm being a wishy washy fence sitter again. But I think the issue of moderation and the amount of it that should be exercised is interesting. I would prefer to see the debate carried out just as that. A debate. Ever seen a college debate? They go at each other like crazy people, yet like respectful (and honestly nerdy) crazy people! :)

What I know for sure is that when this thread started, I thought "hey here is where I will share my funny warning experience!" Then I didn't share because things got kind of nuts!

OK, so argue on now! :)

Sparky and many others on these forums add a flavor of humor. While sometimes a certain % of people may find something offensive I feel more often than not the satire, humor, teasing and general smart a**dom contributre FAR more than a clearly hostile post by a select few.

Why, thank you, Johnnie Stalkers! I always figured, if you can't say anything to make someone laugh, then don't say anything at all!

BTW, I sure hope Santa brings you some pants for Christmas! :)

I have a great idea, lets play that game where the next person after me that posts to this thread has to pay everyone in the thread $5.oo. Its kind of like the game where you try and see who cannot blink the longest or not say anything the longest.

And

Ok FEReal this time.

Technically I was typing at the time you posted. But it was a good lead in and fitting because I tend to sit out some time on these things before posting and then can't help myself! :)

Still, I'll give $5 to the first person who gets to Nebraska! :)

Thats fine, see if I will want to play any of your games, EVER. :):):)

They never let poor Rudolph...............

O.K. CarleenP, I think your position is safe on the "Most Influential" forum. No need to sweep in wielding the Guilt of a Mom, the Reason of a trusted friend and the compasion of Mother Teresa and put us all in our places.

I have to figure out how it is you manage to make me feel guilty, enlightened, grateful and humble at the same time. I am not even sure I had an opinion before your reading your post. :)

And

Ok FEReal this time.

Technically I was typing at the time you posted. But it was a good lead in and fitting because I tend to sit out some time on these things before posting and then can't help myself! :)

anywhere in NE, I can get to the border in about an hour and a half?

anywhere in NE, I can get to the border in about an hour and a half?

My Camry can get there before your pony can. Legally, I'm about 2 hours away.....but, I have made it there in an hour and 10 minutes before!

(But I cheated, I was driving an ambulance with lights and siren!) :)