The Meter Of Shame

Bob&TheGang

I got warned for posting "Let's Kill all the mods!" at the end of a post about something completely different. It was at the height of the admin-bashing, and done purely in jest. I thought the sarcasm was pretty obvious, but the moderator thought it was over the line. He told me he would make my warn go away in a few days, because he thought I was being constructive with the rest of my post.

In retrospect, I think he was right, and I edited my post(without his prompting). My warn went back to 0% in about 3 days.

Yep. But its ok, I think mines broke anyhow. Doc Deans avatar, Santa poo'ing down the chimney, TWICE, what else did I forget ? 

So far, the warn meter is as pale as a vampires derriere.

Is using french ( especially mis-spelled ) still a deportation offense ?

I deleted your pictures... twice. I deleted one of the post because it was an exact duplication of the first and it looked like the forums "burped" out a duplicate post. I will delete duplicate posts from time to time to make topics read easier if they are an exact duplicate (these forums don't seem to do it like the old implodepop forums did).

Pretty good photoshop work Johnnie Stalkers. Since there are five boxes, two boxes would represent either a 30% or a 40% warning level. You will have to get that right next time you post a joke like that. Since you haven't actually been warned yet, did the * ;) * emoticon at the bottom of your post mean that you want to be warned? :D:D Just ask sept1c_tank... that can be arranged! :P

Since you haven't actually been warned yet, did the * :D * emoticon at the bottom of your post mean that you want to be warned? :D:P Just ask sept1c_tank... that can be arranged! :)

Wow, you say that like anybody really cares if they get warned. ;)

It is like my "permanent" record from high school. Boy that has sure followed me around and made a mess of my life. :D

I can't believe how some mods can make fun of something like the warning meter. I think this this is a horrible thing because it scares people to speak their minds of fear of being warned. It also lets some mods think they're the big forum police. I think it's ridiculous and an insult to people who post here. Getting warnings for speaking one's mind is like being under Stalin.

If I get a warning or a ban I don't care because I've had it.

I also don't care if people flame me or not, because it doesn't matter.

I can't believe how some mods can make fun of something like the warning meter. I think this this is a horrible thing because it scares people to speak their minds of fear of being warned. It also lets some mods think they're the big forum police. I think it's ridiculous and an insult to people who post here. Getting warnings for speaking one's mind is like being under Stalin.

Not flaming you or making fun of you Radmann. But why let it bother you. They are volunteering for a thankless job, and are people too. I imagine they take an unholy amount of Bovine Scatology for a volunteer. So what if they cut loose a little ? Its not like we don't bait them, A LOT !

To me, its all a game, cause nobodys gonna get an eye poked out.

Again, I'm NOT attacking you or your post Radmman. You seem to have a great sense of humor, except for this topic. Don't let it ruin your fun.

I got warned for posting "Let's Kill all the mods!" at the end of a post about something completely different. It was at the height of the admin-bashing, and done purely in jest. I thought the sarcasm was pretty obvious, but the moderator thought it was over the line. He told me he would make my warn go away in a few days, because he thought I was being constructive with the rest of my post.

In retrospect, I think he was right, and I edited my post(without his prompting). My warn went back to 0% in about 3 days.

I've edited / deleted quite a number of my posts but my meter remains at 40%.

Not flaming you or making fun of you Radmann. But why let it bother you. They are volunteering for a thankless job, and are people too. I imagine they take an unholy amount of Bovine Scatology for a volunteer. So what if they cut loose a little ? Its not like we don't bait them, A LOT !

To me, its all a game, cause nobodys gonna get an eye poked out.

Again, I'm NOT attacking you or your post Radmman. You seem to have a great sense of humor, except for this topic. Don't let it ruin your fun.

I agree with both of you. It's all a game. It's entertainment. It's the forums. Yes, no one is getting an eye poked out. But some however don't see it that way. :-(

;) In my running battle with a certain someone, I have been just trying to demonstrate that the warning meter is childish.

This warning meter has really never been fully explained. Is being at 80% worse then being at 20%. Does it ever go down? If yes, how do you make it go down? Who decides this?

I have no problem someone policing these forum boards. Inappropriate language or totally non-related Geocaching posts have no place on these forum boards.

Though a small very few have turned this policing into dictatorship censorship.

In my case, a certain someone's actions just totally reinforce that his whole warning meter thing is childish.

I am generally a light hearted person. If others want to joke I can join in. Life is too short to be mad all the time. I try to enjoy it as much as possible. Anyone who knows me knows that I am pretty easy to get along with.

On a serious note, I will give an analogy.

I drive over the posted speed limit sometimes. There are rules about what the acceptable speed should be. If I go over that line, then there are people out there that may give me a warning or give me a ticket for the infraction. If I do it enough times, my privilege of driving will be suspended. After some period of time I may get the privilege of driving again, but if I continue to speed I could loose that privilege again, possibly for good. If I am good, then my record is eventually wiped clean after a period of time. It is simple stuff, and I may not like it but I live with it because there is probably a good reason why those rules are there.

This is not a perfect analogy by any means, and I don't want to see the analogy debated to death. The guidelines for the forums are linked at the top of every page. They are pretty easy to follow. As is being stated in another topic, many people here do post messages and follow the guidelines and their post do stimulate good debate without being inflammatory or without attacking other forums posters (they drive 55 in a 55 MPH zone). Some people approach the line and go over it slightly and are not warned, etc. (they drive 62 in a 55 MPH zone). Others go over the line and, well, you know what happens there (they drive 80 - 90 MPH lots of the time!).

Good discussions are easily fostered by simply respecting each other and following the guidelines for these forums. At this time of holiday reflection and for giving thanks for what we have it might be good to remember that it is best to do unto other people as you would want them to do unto you. Words to live by.

I am generally a light hearted person. If others want to joke I can join in. Life is too short to be mad all the time. I try to enjoy it as much as possible. Anyone who knows me knows that I am pretty easy to get along with.

On a serious note, I will give an analogy.

I drive over the posted speed limit sometimes. There are rules about what the acceptable speed should be. If I go over that line, then there are people out there that may give me a warning or give me a ticket for the infraction. If I do it enough times, my privilege of driving will be suspended. After some period of time I may get the privilege of driving again, but if I continue to speed I could loose that privilege again, possibly for good. If I am good, then my record is eventually wiped clean after a period of time. It is simple stuff, and I may not like it but I live with it because there is probably a good reason why those rules are there.

This is not a perfect analogy by any means, and I don't want to see the analogy debated to death. The guidelines for the forums are linked at the top of every page. They are pretty easy to follow. As is being stated in another topic, many people here do post messages and follow the guidelines and their post do stimulate good debate without being inflammatory or without attacking other forums posters (they drive 55 in a 55 MPH zone). Some people approach the line and go over it slightly and are not warned, etc. (they drive 62 in a 55 MPH zone). Others go over the line and, well, you know what happens there (they drive 80 - 90 MPH lots of the time!).

Good discussions are easily fostered by simply respecting each other and following the guidelines for these forums. At this time of holiday reflection and for giving thanks for what we have it might be good to remember that it is best to do unto other people as you would want them to do unto you. Words to live by.

Amen.

Pretty good photoshop work Johnnie Stalkers.  Since there are five boxes, two boxes would represent either a 30% or a 40% warning level.  You will have to get that right next time you post a joke like that.  Since you haven't actually been warned yet, did the * :D * emoticon at the bottom of your post mean that you want to be warned? :)  :P  Just ask sept1c_tank... that can be arranged! :D

Yeah, it looks more like this:

51240_3900.jpg

Edited to add: I usually drive 70 in a 55 ;)

Edited by Team GPSaxophone
Pretty good photoshop work Johnnie Stalkers.  Since there are five boxes, two boxes would represent either a 30% or a 40% warning level.  You will have to get that right next time you post a joke like that.  Since you haven't actually been warned yet, did the * :D * emoticon at the bottom of your post mean that you want to be warned? :)  :P  Just ask sept1c_tank... that can be arranged! :D

Yeah, it looks more like this:

51240_3900.jpg

Edited to add: I usually drive 70 in a 55 ;)

Along the same lines, the color of the boxs is wrong.

Pretty good photoshop work Johnnie Stalkers. Since there are five boxes, two boxes would represent either a 30% or a 40% warning level. You will have to get that right next time you post a joke like that. Since you haven't actually been warned yet, did the * :D * emoticon at the bottom of your post mean that you want to be warned? :P:D Just ask sept1c_tank... that can be arranged! :D

Well a few things.

1. Thank you, I actually did that in Paint.

2. There are 5 boxes, 2 colored would = 40 %, I wonder if I did that on purpose or if my math skills are really that bad? Has anyone seen my high school records?I need to look something up. (Actually there wasn't a "30" on the screen and I didn't feel like finding the right font, ok?)

3. I realize my post doesn't READ very well. the idea was:

0% = :)

> 0% = ;)

Warn away if you feel you need to :D , but beware the wrath of a drunken cacher. :P

I thought you pulled a Geocide? Just like a politician, promising something you can't deliver.

Each box is 20%, so 10-20 for one box, 30-40 for two boxes, etc.

Like this:

51240_5500.JPG

Well given the fact that the mods have recognized my potential for trouble making they made my boxes 10% to allow for a greater degree of warnings in the future. You just can't see them all, yet. ;) All this time I felt like someone was watching me. Was the man always trying to keep me down? ATTICA! ATTICA!

Wow, you say that like anybody really cares if they get warned. ;)

It is like my "permanent" record from high school. Boy that has sure followed me around and made a mess of my life. :D

Excuse me Mr. GrizzlyJohn -

I have here your permanent record and because of that little stunt you pulled in 10th grade you are going to have leave the thread right now...

There now, off you go...

thank you.

Wow, you say that like anybody really cares if they get warned.  ;)

It is like my "permanent" record from high school. Boy that has sure followed me around and made a mess of my life.  :D

Excuse me Mr. GrizzlyJohn -

I have here your permanent record and because of that little stunt you pulled in 10th grade you are going to have leave the thread right now...

There now, off you go...

thank you.

I thought Webfoot was the only teacher around here...

I have a 10% warning on my meter. And why I got it? I wrote the word [EDITED] when someone asked what obscene word we have used on a cachepage or something like that...

In Sweden were I live, people don't get offended so easily and don't have to be politically correct and we can speak freely about what we want, so this means that naming a movie with an obscene word doesn't offend people. Neither does a naked woman on tv...

Okay, some people got really upset that I have a son and asked me if I use that kind of language in front of him, and what if he surfed on geocaching.com and found those kind of words etc... Hey! If the kid is old enough to surf on the net, then he can find much worse things that an obscene word on the internet! :)

I was asked to show other people in other countries respect for the differencies between countries... Funny, same guys wrote just the other day about how good it was that USA found Saddam etc.. They didn't show respect to other people in other countries then...? :)

Well, I think it is silly with these warning meters... Try to keep people on track so the don't go off-topic instead... We can't all be happy people that doesn't offend another at any time..

Merry Christmas by the way...

[Edited to avoid the same problem occurring twice.]

Edited by Keystone Approver
I have a 10% warning on my meter. And why I got it? I wrote the word [EDITED] when someone asked what obscene word we have used on a cachepage or something like that...

In Sweden were I live, people don't get offended so easily and don't have to be politically correct and we can speak freely about what we want, so this means that naming a movie with an obscene word doesn't offend people. Neither does a naked woman on tv...

Okay, some people got really upset that I have a son and asked me if I use that kind of language in front of him, and what if he surfed on geocaching.com and found those kind of words etc... Hey! If the kid is old enough to surf on the net, then he can find much worse things that an obscene word on the internet!  :)

I was asked to show other people in other countries respect for the differencies between countries... Funny, same guys wrote just the other day about how good it was that USA found Saddam etc.. They didn't show respect to other people in other countries then...?  :)

Well, I think it is silly with these warning meters... Try to keep people on track so the don't go off-topic instead... We can't all be happy people that doesn't offend another at any time..

Merry Christmas by the way...

And I assume that it will raise a couple of percents more now after my last post... :)

Edited by Keystone Approver

WOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm back on the "Bad Boy" list!!!

Warned on Dec 23 2003, 06:00 PM

Added to warn level Msg sent via PM:

Sparky-Watts,

I have read the email from da_snoop to you about deleting your post. His email was very polite, this reply was out of line.

> What's offensive about that question? New Zealanders must not have

> any sense of humor, I guess. Warn me if you want, I don't give a

> s***. I'll apologize to them and stay out of their petty little forum

> if they can't take a f***ing joke.

Please respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Happy Geocaching!

Heidi

Happy Geocaching?!?!?!? HA! I dunno, I kinda felt his letter was disrespectful to my feelings, as he threatened to warn and/or ban me for posting off topic in their apparently humorless forum. God it's good to be bad again! :)

Why should it. it was on on topic and clean. Would you like your warn meter raised anyway. We are handing them out to people who ask for them. An early christmas present. But only if you ask real nicely

Ooh! Pretty please, my little pretty pony friend?

/sarcasm

You'll notice I was behaving myself today :)

And I thank you for that

In Sweden were I live, people don't get offended so easily and don't have to be politically correct ... so this means that naming a movie with an obscene word doesn't offend people.

Neither does a naked woman on tv...

Please send some examples of non-offensive tv........

Quote:

Why don't anyone make song lyrics like this anymore?

When the moon hits you eye like a big pizza pie........That's amore!

Since the surgeon general determined that Marinara sauce is acidic, it can cause the natural moisture level of the human eye to lower. The ramifications of blunt force trauma to the facial area can cause emotional scarring requiring years of therapy before subject can tolerate pepperoni, cheese, and dough.

As a result, lawsuit brought to bear by Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe has made it unprofitable to sing of any comparison between food, celestial bodies, and any amorous relationship between males, females, farm animals, specialized latex appliances, or any combination thereof.

Sparky, some good some bad.

Was your PM a constructive in your disagreement? You could of worded it a lot better!

Should you of got a warning for a PM? Only if it serves a higher purpose and it doesn't. They can just ignore you.

Should they share the PM internally? With rare exception no. But then neither should you post it online. Do they share them? Yes. And people post them online.

The only thing that good out of the entire encounter is that this is proof that all PM's should be written like they will come back to haunt you.

Edited by Renegade Knight

What does PM stand for? Because to me it implies a certain level of privacy. People start whipping out their PMs in public and you have mayhem. Cats living with dogs, Rosie O'Donnel joining the NRA, mass hysteria all becasue of......something, I can't remember now, the visual image of Rosie has clouded my brain. Get it out! Get OUT! <frantically clawing at skull>

I think it's ridiculous and an insult to people who post here. Getting warnings for speaking one's mind is like being under Stalin.

GO***** RIGHT.

??

Okay, then, .... It is oppressive, having the warnings handed out if you DARE to speak your mind around here lately. I have been using this Geocaching board for over 2 years now and haven't seen such a crackdown on expression of ideas. Even try to make someone laugh at a joke these days, and your warn meter goes up. Go ahead, I really don't care at this point.

I think it's ridiculous and an insult to people who post here. Getting warnings for speaking one's mind is like being under Stalin.

GO***** RIGHT.

??

Okay, then, ****** RIGHT. It is oppressive, having the warnings handed out if you DARE to speak your mind around here lately. I have been using this Geocaching board for over 2 years now and haven't seen such a crackdown on expression of ideas. Even try to make someone laugh at a joke these days, and your warn meter goes up. Go ahead, I really don't care at this point.

True, I wouldn't mind at all if warnings were only handed out for attacking others or being vulgar. Warning someone for humor? That's ridiculous

Edit by Jeremy: (removed expletive)

Edit by Team GPSaxophone: oops, I didn't realize I had quoted the expletive. Sorry

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

GO***** RIGHT.

??

Okay, then, ***** RIGHT. It is oppressive, having the warnings handed out if you DARE to speak your mind around here lately. I have been using this Geocaching board for over 2 years now and haven't seen such a crackdown on expression of ideas. Even try to make someone laugh at a joke these days, and your warn meter goes up. Go ahead, I really don't care at this point.

True, I wouldn't mind at all if warnings were only handed out for attacking others or being vulgar. Warning someone for humor? That's ridiculous

Obviously you are expecting reasonableness?? Warning someone for humor alone or based on PMs does seem a bit heavy-handed.

(removed expletive)

Edited by Jeremy

GO***** RIGHT.

??

Okay, then, **** RIGHT. It is oppressive, having the warnings handed out if you DARE to speak your mind around here lately. I have been using this Geocaching board for over 2 years now and haven't seen such a crackdown on expression of ideas. Even try to make someone laugh at a joke these days, and your warn meter goes up. Go ahead, I really don't care at this point.

With apologies to the folks who reported your post, I won't be increasing your warning level or editing your post. Better for it to stand here in the thread, for everyone to see.

I won't be cracking down on your ideas. But I would suggest that you learn how to express them without resorting to profanity. If you can't express yourself in a civil fashion, then don't post. If you express your ideas with civility, you'll find yourself among the 95% of forum community members who never need to worry about their warn meters.

(Removed expletive)

Edited by Jeremy

Yes, I am sure there were alot of them who said "Ooooh, a chance to burn him, let's hit the 'Report this post' button". I could have posted "Merry Christmas", and the same ones would have hit the button anyhow. Mob mentality, and hypocrisy as well. I can just about name the ones who complained, too....

Ahem. Rant off. Back to civility now.

Edited by TEAM 360