Gpsmap 60c: Jack Of All Trades

Jeremy

MSRP $482 (Available January '04)

I appreciate having both a rugged GPS you can use for geocaching, and a car navigation system for navigating from point A to point B in unfamiliar territory. Over the last year and a half I have remained loyal to my Garmin V, but this new darling has captured my heart.

The first reaction is that the GPS unit has the same general form factor as the Garmin Rino, but it actually looks like what you would get if the Garmin V and the Rino had kids. The power button is at the top of the unit near the antenna, a good out of the way place to keep you from accidentally shutting down the unit, and the antenna is identical to the Rino (without the FRS antenna). The screen size is the same as the Garmin V, and the general placement of the buttons are the same. Instead of a dongle you have the V's joystick pad, and the smaller buttons are arranged around the joystick. It took a little while to get used to which button did what, and it was a bit awkward using it with one hand, unlike the eTrex series which has the buttons on the side. The rubber dimpled pads at the bottom and general shape made it easy to hold.

PC interface of the unit is the same as the Garmin V, but they have added a USB connector to the back. I didn't have a connector for the pre-production unti but I expect great things with the faster transfer rate of USB. Loading maps on the Garmin V can take 30 to 45 minutes. If the iQue is any indication it should take only a few minutes to update maps on this unit. It also looks to have a smaller antenna jack on the back, though I have never had a need for an external antenna on my Garmin V.

One drawback: No SD card. Other manufacturers are starting to offer this as an option, but a Garmin rep let me know they have no plans to introduce SD card slots into their units. They believe that their units would be less durable with this option. Fixed memory is no fun, but 56 megs of internal memory is more than double the capacity of the Garmin V.

Turning on the unit, the color resolution is impressive. The screens are familiar to the Garmin V but have been enhanced by both the color and higher resolution. It's a 256-color transflective TFT display, great for mapping visibility in different lighting conditions. If you're familiar with the Garmin V menus you will be very comfortable with the operation of the unit.

Other than the obvious improvement of the screen color and resolution, it has very familiar functionality, with improvements of some familiar items and some new features. In the menu there is a new Games section which contains Memory race, Virtya Maze, Wck0 Mole, Nibbons, Garmanoids, and Beast Hunt. There's a neat calendar section which shows you sunrise/sunset times, phases of the moon, and fishing predictions.

The find screen is now icon driven, where the Garmin V had a text list of options to look for. The familiar items like Waypoints, Addresses, Intersections, Cities and Exits are still there, but Points of Interest has been broken out into new sections like Food and Lodging, Entertainment, and other subcategories. The icon design is similar to the new Windows XP icons, giving it a nice friendly design.

I didn't have local maps, so was unable to use the turn-by-turn features, but I doubt they are any different than the Garmin V. Where the iQue uses voice prompting, the GPSmap uses beeps to get your attention for upcoming turns and proximity alarms, just like the Garmin V.

In regards to Geocaching, the developers at Garmin have added a unique Find Geocache section. Using the existing "Geocache" and "Geocache Found" icons, you can go to the Geocache screen and it will immediately show you the nearby geocaches and distance to them. You can even use the menu to move your cursor to another area and do another search for geocaches.

Once you select the geocache, you can have the option to find it off road (using the arrow) or via turn by turn directions, just like the Garmin V. Once you find a cache, however, you can mark it as "found" on your GPS unit. When marked as found, the Geocache icon is instantly changed to "Geocache Found" (the open chest), and it lists the next closest waypoint. It also marks your find in the Calendar so you can keep track of which caches you have found. This was definitely a function designed by geocachers for geocachers. Great work!

Out in the field the signal quality was impressive. I took my dogs to the dog park and left the GPS on in my pocket and it kept signal for me in my winter jacket the whole time. I didn't use any scientific observations but ancedotally the unit worked well.

The 60C does not have an electronic compass or baromic altimeter, but the 60CS will have these features (MSRP $535.70, Available March '04). Not having these in the Garmin V I don't miss them, though I can see the benefit. Just keep in mind that the electronic compass (or any additional features) can drain batteries much faster.

The unit comes with a lanyard, belt clip and USB interface cable.

All in all, this is my top pick for GPS units. It is both a rugged GPS receiver off-road and a great navigation system for your vehicle. If you're looking for a jack of all trades, this is the one to choose. It's definitely the one for me.

Battery Life: 30 hours (!)

Antenna: Quad-helix, external antenna capable

WAAS: yes

Waypoints: 1,000 with comments and symbols

Tracks: 10,000 track log points, 20 saveable tracks

Routes: 50 reversable routes

Waterproof: Yes. It can be submerged for up to 30 minutes in 1 meter of water

Edited by Jeremy

Thanks for the report, Jeremy! Sounds like I may be updating my unit soon. If I can get my wife interested, I can keep my Legend and let her use it, and have an excuse for buying me a new toy!

I especially like the USB option. My Legend uses a com port, and so does my home weather station, so I'll have to go out and buy another com port to install in the PC, in the meantime, I have to keep switching them back and forth, which isn't good for the PC, as well as losing valuable weather log information.

Thanks again for the report!

Thanks a bunch for the review Jeremy. I am looking forward to getting one of these units when they become available. It's too bad that the 60CS won't be available until March. I have become accustomed to using the electronic compass that I have on my Vista. It looks like I will be waiting a couple more months to get the 60CS.

Tiger GPS is preselling the 60CS for $418 which is a decent price for the "Jack of all Trades." But, the one thing to take into account when comparing the cost of the 60C or 60CS to the GPS V is that the 60 series units don't come with the detailed City Select Maps like the GPS V does. There is an additional cost of around $100+, so the "true cost" of the 60CS is more like $518. I will still buy one at that price.

Rocket Man

I've been debating on whether or not to hold off on the CS or just get the C. It'd be nice to have the "king of the hill", but:

1) I don't want to wait

2) I'll get a nice handheld non-electronic compass

Then I'll try and convince myself I made the right decision. ;) But I'm pretty sure I have!

I've been debating on whether or not to hold off on the CS or just get the C. It'd be nice to have the "king of the hill", but:

1) I don't want to wait

Then I'll try and convince myself I made the right decision. :D But I'm pretty sure I have!

As soon as you get the C you will want the Cs ;)

Jeremy - i too would appreciate your feedback wrto battery life. also:

* when creating a waypoint what type of data entry does it use - virtual keyboard ala etrex legend/vista or cursor pad left/right, up/down ala 76 family

* some websites are indicating the unit floats - can you provide any feedback on this?

* the basemap autoroutes - did you try to do any autorouting? is there a page that shows every step in the generated route ala sp2610?

* when viewing the satellite status page was there a significant difference in s/n when holding the unit vertically or horizontally?

* how visible was the screen in bright outdoor conditions? what kind of adjustment did the display have?

* can you describe the layout of the outdoor calendar in greater detail?

* did you find this button layout to be superior to garmin's traditional buttons above the screen format?

* how customizable were the screens - specifically the trip computer - did it have the pointer field?

* did you see a setting to turn on/off pages and/or reorder them?

and about 100 more that i won't go into at this point... ;)

for those that have not seen this website here are some additional pictures of the 60cs that you might find interesting:

global positioning website uk 60cs

thanks in advance!

J - big question here is how are the geocaching functionalty implemented in the 60 ? Is it a helper App to use LOC files or a helper app to use gpx files ?

Thats one tidbit that has been missing on all the things I have read up on for this unit. I love my V as well, but the 19mb is killing me as I cant even get the entire beltway loaded with any other burbs loaded.

-Robert

I've been debating on whether or not to hold off on the CS or just get the C.  It'd be nice to have the "king of the hill", but:

1) I don't want to wait

Then I'll try and convince myself I made the right decision.  ;)  But I'm pretty sure I have!

As soon as you get the C you will want the Cs :D

I know! But you know what, I can make do with it. :P

For some reason I think the 30 hours of run time on 2 AA batteries is a typo. My V doesn't even get close to that on 4 AA's. I'll be surprised if its true and would like to know how its possible.

The fact that it doesn't come with software has been something of a sticky point with me too but I have a V and should be able to use that software with it. I'm considering the 60cs but we'll see. I know a fella around here has ordered the 60c from tiger so I will be able to look at that one before committing. ;)

Thanks for the review Jeremy, its always nice to read something from someone with first hand experience.

I would also like to get one of them also.

I have 2 GPS V units, a Map 76S, and an eTrex Vista.

Here is what I would do:

I would use MetroGuide for my Vista, Map76S, and my old GPS V.

The upgrade of the City Select software, I would use on

my newer GPS V and the 60C when it comes out.

I just noticed something. Unlike the V, the 60C(S) doesn't come with CitySelect. At least.. it's not mentioned anywhere in the literature.

Now.. I've already got CitySelect because I have a V, but if you don't then add $150 to the price. It's still an attractive unit, but just a little less so now.

-- Pneumatic

[questions]

I too would appreciate your feedback wrto battery life.

J - Haven't had time to look at this closer.

* when creating a waypoint what type of data entry does it use - virtual keyboard ala etrex legend/vista or cursor pad left/right, up/down ala 76 family

J - I don't know about the 76, but it is pretty much the same as the Garmin V. Virtual keyboard.

* some websites are indicating the unit floats - can you provide any feedback on this?

J- I can't drop it in the water to test it. This is a preproduction unit anyway so your experience may vary. It isn't documented.

The Cobra unit was designed to float.

* the basemap autoroutes - did you try to do any autorouting? is there a page that shows every step in the generated route ala sp2610?

J - Sorry, no. I didn't use that feature. Sorry!

* when viewing the satellite status page was there a significant difference in s/n when holding the unit vertically or horizontally?

J- No difference. I tend to stay away from too many ancedotal observations though.

* how visible was the screen in bright outdoor conditions? what kind of adjustment did the display have?

J- I live in Seattle, so we're under heavy cloud cover. The type of display is well suited for bright environments though.

* can you describe the layout of the outdoor calendar in greater detail?

J- It's a bit like Outlook's calendar. You can do a day, week, or month view. It shows a number of fish depending on the estimated fishing quality, a sun with the sunrise/sunset times, and an icon for the phase of the moon. Clicking on a day will take you to a day page which lists all the waypoints that you marked for the day.

* did you find this button layout to be superior to garmin's traditional buttons above the screen format?

J- I personally like the joystick and one-handed operation of the eTrex line, but there are many more features, so the unit is designed well for my use. However, it would have been nice to move some of the more often used buttons to the side (like "page" and "enter"). However, it doesn't make much difference to me.

* how customizable were the screens - specifically the trip computer - did it have the pointer field?

J- Pretty much like the Garmin V. Yes, there is a pointer field.

* did you see a setting to turn on/off pages and/or reorder them?

J- Yes

J - big question here is how are the geocaching functionalty implemented in the 60 ? Is it a helper App to use LOC files or a helper app to use gpx files ?

Sorry, but GPX has not been adopted by Garmin. There is a memo field that software developers can use to, say, dump the hints, but it pretty much uses the "Geocache" and "Geocache Found" symbols to quickly show you the closest cache. Pretty much what I explained in the initial post.

I just noticed something. Unlike the V, the 60C(S) doesn't come with CitySelect. At least.. it's not mentioned anywhere in the literature.

Nope. It doesn't come with CitySelect. I doubt they could have added all the new features and included the software.

Keep in mind the above price is suggested retail - your mileage will vary.

A couple of questions:

1. Portrait and Landscape mode?

J- You know, I couldn't find that option. Where is it on the V?

2. Antenna removable?

No.

3. Are any mounts for auto use included?

J- The unit comes with a lanyard, belt clip and USB interface cable. It looks like any mounts for the Rino would work with this one.

Sorry, but GPX has not been adopted by Garmin. There is a memo field that software developers can use to, say, dump the hints, but it pretty much uses the "Geocache" and "Geocache Found" symbols to quickly show you the closest cache. Pretty much what I explained in the initial post.

Ok, so then Garmin isnt really going to support a way to download waypoints and then pass along the data fields that would be usefull to the user for the new support in the units. Bummer, Good thing we have things like GPX Spinner.

Maybe LD can work out a deal with Garmin for a version of his software that handles LOC files :mad:

-Robert

It seems that you can do Autoroute on the GPS itself, according to this flyer.

Metroguide will let you do Autoroute on the PC, and you can download it to the GPS.

RR no Autoroute

MG Autoroute on PC

CS Autoroute on PC and GPS

CN Same as CS but with voice on GPS

While MetroGuide 5 only supports autorouting on the PC, MetroGuide 4 supports autorouting on the GPSr. Can the GPSMAP 60C/CS autoroute using MetroGuide 4? The data maybe a little old, but if I can save $100 or so, then I can live with a little outdated info. :unsure:

Now that this new unit offers Geocaching navigation, is there any possibility Geocaching.com might be offering some sort of downloadable "packet" that will allow one to easily enter a cache with all of the hints and such into the 60C? I can't imagine anyone is going to want to enter hints via a joystick.

Amazing! Geocaching has influenced the market and there is now a unit with dedicated Geocaching functions.

I'd say Geocaching has created a huge new market for GPSrs.

Glad I've held off this long, the old Emap is getting a little tired and cracked, but I haven't been able to kill it. Thanks to Garmin's continuing support it has got many great upgrades. Got my moneys worth!

Talk about product support, no complaints here only appreciation! They never promised continuing upgrades for the life of the unit, but dleivered anyway. There's lots of reasos to remain a loyal Garmin customer.

Isn't there some kind of Geocaching.com member discount? hint hint:-) Might be a nice little item to sell on geocaching.com. Do they have to send the business elsewhere?

Does the battery draining compass and extras on the s version, have an off setting for increased battery life?

-

Greenjeens

Can you turn off the notification?

If you don't follow the route selected (i.e miss a turn) does it recalculate your route?

Yes, you can turn off notification.

If it works identical to the Garmin V, it will recalculate. Since I didn't have the capability at the time I couldn't test out how fast it recalculates. Garmin V was very slow and unimpressive (you sometimes had to park and wait for it to recalculate). I expect a better processor will reduce a lot of the wait.

As an aside, the Garmin iQue blew me away with the dragonball processor. Calculations were very fast. But I would hesitate to recommend it for geocaching, due to battery life and lack of durability.

Isn't there some kind of Geocaching.com member discount? hint hint:-) Might be a nice little item to sell on geocaching.com. Do they have to send the business elsewhere?

You need to be a licensed distributor for Garmin and Magellan units, which requires a high commitment. A long time ago we decided not to be a GPS distributor and focus on Geocaching and tools. Offroute is a good partner with decent prices on GPS units though. You could try them out. The link is on the home page.

Does the battery draining compass and extras on the s version, have an off setting for increased battery life?

Site unseen, I can't be sure, but it is standard in Garmin units to have the ability to turn off these features. I am fairly confident they have this feature for their new units.

While MetroGuide 5 only supports autorouting on the PC, MetroGuide 4 supports autorouting on the GPSr. Can the GPSMAP 60C/CS autoroute using MetroGuide 4? The data maybe a little old, but if I can save $100 or so, then I can live with a little outdated info. :bad:

Hmmm.. even if MetroGuide 4 works in the 60cs, I'd be reluctant -- in the NW burbs of Chicago, it's got so many errors that I often lose about an hour per day of caching trying to find the road they're referring to, or finding a MAJOR river where it's not on the map (The Des Plaines River is non-existent for about a 6-mile stretch -- hmmph).

Jeremy -- do you know if the Calendar info on the 60C/CS lets you store info associated with an event, e.g. "I was here at this time, and saw a yellow-bellied sapsucker" or "TFTC, TNFN" etc.? Is there any program that lets you download the calendar data, or is it basically stuck in the unit?

Thanks,

Joel

do you know if the Calendar info on the 60C/CS lets you store info associated with an event, e.g. "I was here at this time, and saw a yellow-bellied sapsucker" or "TFTC, TNFN" etc.?

Every day without the 60c my memory becomes more hazy (I no longer have the unit), but I do remember a memo for additional text in the calendar. Mythos pointed a link to the owner's manual (pdf). The info may be in there.

Is there any program that lets you download the calendar data, or is it basically stuck in the unit?

Good question. I don't know how it is stored in the unit. I do, however, speculate that they have found away to extract it from the GPS, though most software will have to implement the feature once they have the spec available to them. It might just be a special use of a route or waypoint, but I'm just guessing.