0 For 3 - Is It Me?

KerryG

My first adventure was a total bust. 0 for 3.

Like Ents?

Was found yesterday, but I searched all over and couldn't find anything

Be A Sport

Not found in months, so no surprise I didn't find anything but lost softballs

CreatureCache

Was found yesterday, I think it is on someones property but was not comfortable rummaging through their bushes since both houses face the spot I would have looked in.

I have to wonder if my older model eMap (updated all the software on it) isn't getting me close enough or am I just not looking in the right places. I figure when my GPSr says I am right on the spot, I should be within a 30-40' radius, is this not large enough for error?

KerryG

Irvine, Ca

There is a lot to learn about finding a cache. There are signs, clever hides, and all kinds of tricks. Sometimes you have to step back and just ask "where would I hide it so nobody could find it".

What really nails me is comeing with expectations like "it's an ammo can so I'll only look where one would fit" that gets me in trouble all the time.

My first cache was a skunk and I still get skunked. Try ones rated as a 1 for difficulty until you find a few, then you will start developing instincts.

Just hang in there, and keep looking. My first two attempts were DNFs because they were both gone....my fault on one for not paying close enough attention to the last log that was marked as "Found It" but explained that the area had been destroyed by a fake-lake in a housing development. The other one had been found a couple of weeks earlier, but was definitely gone when I went. I posted a DNF and note to the owner, and he subsequently disabled it. Same with the first one after the owner read my note.

So, don't give up, it'll come......just HAVE FUN LOOKING!!!!!!!! :D

Glad to hear that you didn't give up. I found Centauri Escape Pod Echo too - way back in February. I did it as a night cache then.

I would suggest looking for some caches that are true ammobox or tupperware caches in a park involving a hike of at least a half mile. Microcaches are fine, but I'd encourage you to look beyond the drive by caches to really experience the best of what the sport has to offer.

Have fun!

~erik~

Just trying to make due with the time I have this holiday. Went out for "Like Ents?" again and had help this time and no joy again. Whe I get to the coords, it doesnt even seem likely there is anything there as there as it is just a big flat area. I will be going after some larger ones soon.

KerryG

Irvine, Ca

KerryG

See if there's a club in your area and hook up with them. mrkablooey took me out on a multi cache search in our area and really got me hooked. Trick is to have them help you along without doing it for you. We hit 9 on saturday and he gave me a lot of pointers and when he saw I was really stuck, gave me a hint. Don't want to get frustrated with it before you really get into it.

If nothing else, you can probably do a search to see if you can track down some people in your area. Everyone I've spoken to has been really helpful. You'd probably have someone step up to help you get going.

F_M

Also, if there are no groups in your area, you can get an idea of who to talk to by reading cache logs. If you find some names a lot, see if they're posters here in the forums and contact them. If not, it's up to you to decide whether or not to contact them as they may wish to remain relatively anonymous, meaning "go about their own business". I'm sure many would be willing to partner up from time-to-time but some may not. You may, if you haven't already, also want to check out your regional forum here on this site and ask there.

Good job sticking with it. All the above advise is very good. If you want more success, definitely don't start with Micro's. I confess to being one of the worst Micro finders in the world. I inveriably have to go back two to three times. When I'm really stumped I'll take Jr. T and the wife back with me, and I'm not sure what it is, Karma, planetary alignments, or what, but I'll usually walk right up to the spot and find them.

Jr. T and my first hunt was a tupperware in the sand. Took us two trips to find that one. Our first find was an ammo can covered with sticks that you could see from nearly 50 ft away. Pick your hunts carefully to begin with and then work up from there.

Remember, it's just a game. If it gets frustrating, forget about it and move on.

To really understand what it's all about, go after a few rural caches that make you walk at least a mile. These are usually hidden by locals who have taken the trouble to show you the best scenery the area has to offer. (you hope). They take more time, they are more fun. (imo)

Feeling better now, just found the creature cache and the Ents cache. Both of them were right in front of me both times before. Now I have a better feel of what to be looking out for.

Tips for noobs:

1. If something looks out of place, it probably is

2. More often than not, the coords are pretty darned accurate

3. If you are in a wide open spot and think there isnt any way something could be there, you are probably wrong - refer to #1

4. Dont make the mistake of thinking about the size of the container and looking for a hiding spot of that size

5. Always take a writing instrument just in case

Did I miss anything?

KerryG

Irvine, Ca

Wasn;t getting frustrated as much as I thought my equipment wasn't good enough or that I was simply missing something. with a 3 for 4 record now, I am feeling pretty confident. The only one I cant find hasnt been found in months so I dont feel too bad about that one.

KerryG

Irvine, Ca

Tips for noobs:

1. If something looks out of place, it probably is

2. More often than not, the coords are pretty darned accurate

3. If you are in a wide open spot and think there isnt any way something could be there, you are probably wrong - refer to #1

4. Dont make the mistake of thinking about the size of the container and looking for a hiding spot of that size

5. Always take a writing instrument just in case

Did I miss anything?

KerryG

Irvine, Ca

Only thing I can think of that you forgot is:

They aren't all on the ground.

F_M

Stunod said:

Something else to check:

Make sure your GPS has it's datum is set to WGS84 and the coordinate system is DD MM.mmm. If it's not, you could be looking in the wrong area.

He is right! this is one of the biggest mistakes. Check your unit settings. geocaching downloads uses WGS84 most of the time. also check those

DD MM.mmm settings

Happy Caching!

Rogerwilco :)

Not bad, 4 for 5 now. "Da Island Mon!" is in a fantastic spot. Thought some parents there were going to think I was some perv just there to watch little kids as there were two families there feeding ducks. Didn't think "loaf of bread" would be high on the list of items to take on a find. :)

KerryG

Irvine, Ca

Kerry,

If she thinks you're crazy now just wait until you have to convince her that you need all the caching gear! Cache pack, hiking stick, PDA (for paperless caching), GMRS Radios, compass...ect. I have a website that caters to new cachers click on the link in my sig line. Welcome to the caching community, we're glad to have you and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Followed some links on your page. I was copying the web page info to Palm Desktop and then synching before I left. I have a Palm M100 so I am already well on my way to GeoDorkDom.

AdamR and I teamed up today (Team Wild since we run http://wildhobbies.com) and found 5 caches today. Had given up all hope on one and ran into Pprmntpaty and Lou and Pprmntpaty had some weird ESP going on and found it within seconds of getting to the coords even though they were off about 50'.