Need Advice Quick

bo jangles

NEED HELP QUICK!

My in-laws read about this and thought it would be fun for my sons: both fun, athletic and adventurous. We had a miscommunication & they thought it was up to me to check it out and buy something for them to give our boys. So now its Dec 22! And no present! And I jusy located this site.

This sounds like this would be something they'd enjoy, but I don't have time to do a lot of research. Our family lives in Napa & have a cabin in Tahoe, we are getting a bernese mountain dog puppy soon, who I assume will like walks/ easy hikes; both boys are smart & fun, play guitar and mandlin. Older son is 20 years old, is a sophmore at UC Davis, loves to snowboard, hike, ect and has a Jeep. The 17 year old in a senior in HS- he plays basketball, snow boards at Tahoe when he can, will go to college somewhere in CA next fall. They both have a large, fun group of friends, (Little Bros & Big bros who all get along great). Always planning creative things like a disco dance in a friend's barn, and visiting thrift shops to dress up 70's, spending the night at atop mt st helena to watch the sun come up - reprising "The Last Supper" at In & Out Burger -things like that. Do they fit the profile? I think they'd like it - what do you folks think?

If so, what GPS should I buy and get qiuickly? My inlaws want to spend 100 on each boy, so total $200. Is that do-able? Can/should they share (in order to buy one better one?) Is it practical to share? Should each have their own? Buying suggections? Best place to buy?

I appreciate your help! THANKS!!!

:D

Get the Legend if you think they will need Maps (probably not) for cheaper models that will get the Job done consider the Garmin gecko 201.

I would say get them each their own.

As for buying I got mine online but its too late for that. As for Brick and Mortar I am in Canada so My input probably won't help.

Edited by Halden
Go to REI and buy one eTrex Legend or 2 eTrex Yellows.

Hard to share when they don't live together. You make that call.

I agree on the REI. While they are not the cheapest initially, remember that if you are a member you will get 10% of your purchase back in February.

When I was shopping for my GPS-v (Which I still consider one of the best portable units available..... at least until the 60CS hits the streets), I considered buying online of on Ebay.

EBAY - NO WARRENTY - Garmin specifically disclaims warrenties on Auction items.

ONLINE - Refurb units were cheaper, but new units were about the same price once one took into account the shipping and REI dividend.

The yellow eTrexes by Garmin would be good for beginners. In fact, as a professional archaeologist I have many co-workers that use yellow eTrexes or other very basic GPS models. And at $99, the sons could each have one. Sharing wouldn't be practical, especially given the competitive nature of boys.

The yellow eTrexes are about $99 anywhere. Target had them on sale a while back, but their regular price is still only $99. I just bought one to use as a gift at Gart Sports for $99. And most online retailers are in the same price range.

Happy shopping,

Bob

I considered buying online of on Ebay.

EBAY - NO WARRENTY - Garmin specifically disclaims warrenties on Auction items.

No, Garmin won't warranty auction items from private individuals. They will warranty their products bought on eBay from licensed dealers....that's how I got mine, and that's what Garmin told me before I bought it.