Paint Geacaches

JohnnyVegas

And don't make the cache container out of papier-mâché, either.  ;)

Does that mean my "cotton candy" cache isn't a good idea? :P

Once the ants finish off the sugar, your container will stick out like a sore thumb.

You could glue pink cotton on it and hide it near a trash can at a carnival...

Well, then it would be within .10 miles of my "Puddle of Corn Dog Puke" cache..... :D

Thanks for the info page, Criminal. We're fairly new at this, and we've used camo duct tape (too shiny at night) and cloth camo tape (I don't think it'll be too durable).

I looked over your "natural stencils" idea and tried my first today, using small tree limbs from the backyard. It seems to have come out pretty good. I used an old wide-mouth Coleman beverage cooler. I didn't have sandpaper or primer on hand, so I used paint only. I'm happy with the pattern, but I'm just worried about the paint chipping off. I'll have more prep supplies on hand next time...

I've got a holiday cache which I painted with winter cammo that turned out pretty good. It would probably be completely invisible, except for the fact that I painted a red "ribbon" around it and tied a huge red bow to the handle so it looks like a Christmas present.

This is also the cache that plays Jingle Bell Rock and flashes lights when you open the lid.

Up here in western NY, the predominant species of pine seems to be the Red Pine...

I found that the Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer (in spraycan) matches and blends in nicely with old, weathered red pine stumps and logs....

Also seems to match the color of the pine needles that literally carpet the ground in stands of these trees...

Looks great!  I'm working a new kind of camo that doesn't involve paint.  Hiding something that looks like it's supposed to be there, but is in reality a geocache.  More details later...

I really need to get back to the NW for a week or so.

yeah, especially since you dissed me last time.... :D

:mad:

Here are mine:

http://www.dustyjacket.com/caches/index.html

Note Criminal's ideas in one set of boxes.

I like your use of the term "government surplus watertight metal storage containers". Perhaps if we all used that term instead of "Ammo Boxes", there would be less opposition to them from the more politically correct in the house.

On the other hand, I hate bowing to the politically correct crowd :mad:

This is not a paint idea, but a good camo idea.

On two caches, I camouflaged the container with the dirt or sand that was around the cache site. I simply just spread glue alll over it and then roll and/or poured the dirt/sand on the container. This idea works great if the cache is placed near rocks or lot of other ground cover.