Newbie Confusion..

Peztone

Hello everyone,

As the title suggests I'm new to all this, so new I don't have a GPSr yet, Santa's bringing me one, I do however have a set of 1:25,000 OS maps and the Fugawi CD's containing the 1:50,000 scale versions of the OS maps.

Here's my confusion, I found the cache nearest ro my house (Roman Around) and looked it up using the british grid sysyem on the 1:25,000 map, the cache description lists it as being on the old roman road and sure enough, there it is:

geo1.jpg

However when I load the Fugawi OS maps into my PC and insert a waypoint based upon the coordinates given, I get this:

geo2.jpg

Now either I'm not entering the coordinates right (more than likely..) or the Fugawi software is totally innacurate.

Can anyone shed some light on my problem/stupidity?

Many thanks,

-Steve

Also check the coordinate system each program is using. There is a whole host of different coordinate systems based on different map projections (getting the round world onto a flat piece of paper.) The two most common are WGS84 and NAD27, most digital formats use WGS84, thats what all the posts here are in, but if a program is written to work with paper maps it may use NAD27. There is an 81 meter E/W difference between them as well as some N/S difference.

I looked back at this real quick and saw Jamie Z's post. Looks like he's right, I didn't even really look at the pictures. Just posting again to add something to his post: If the progam you are using does not accept you entering the decimal values into the minute field, just multiply the decimal minutes by 60 (.401 x 60= 24.06) to get the seconds. So 0 deg 20.604 min equals 0 deg 20 min 24.06 sec. If the program wouldn't accept decimal minutes it most likely won't accept a decimal value in the seconds field, so you have to round 24.06 down to 24 so you do lose some accuracy with that program but I guess that might be a gauge of how good the program is.

Sorry had to edit (twice) for spelling.

Edited by OL'GEM
According to your bottom picture, you are not entering the coordinates correctly.

Thanks Jamie & Ol'Gem, you nailed it, that's why I left that info in the screen grab in the hope I was doing something wrong..

I did some practising with coordinates from caches on this site and coordinates thrown up by multimap and I can get the software to pretty much pinpoint the right places..

Now I can happily enter all the caches within easy strike distance ready for the GPSr .. come on Xmas.. :D

Thanks again!

-Steve

Reading my mind there GPSax.. if I get all my chores out of the way tomorrow I'm going to spend the pre-xmas onslaught knee deep in mud looking for tupperware.. I need to find a couple to get the ettiquette before I stash mine, there's a huge gap on the map crying out for something to be hidden there.